Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:56 PM
Joined Aug 2010
28 Posts
Discussion
Phase 3 f16 spray help!!

Hi all

I am from the UK and have just got a phase 3 f16. We got some paint from a model shop but it started to melt the foam. Please can you tell me what paint will work and where i can get it from. Also my dad had a multiplex twista that he sprayed and that worked fine but we cant remember what paint we used and if we gave it a coat with a protector first.

Thanks for your help
Happy flying
Dukesy is offline Find More Posts by Dukesy
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2010, 02:19 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2007
3,564 Posts
You need to go to your local hobbyshop and find spray paint that is foam safe. Testor's Model Master is one brand that hobbyshops here carry.

Always test on a scrap piece of foam.

Non-foam safe paints can be used but you have to hold the can 12-18" away and do very light coats. By doing this, you are allowing the propellant (the ingredient that eats the foam) to evaporate before it hits the foam. It is a slow / messy process but it can be done.

Your multi-plex twister is probably a different type of "foam"... more like EPP, not the EPS your F-16 is made of. EPP is more like a plastic than a styrene foam and is more resistant to the propellant in spray paints.

You can also get some polycrylic at your local home improvement store and paint your entire airframe with a brush. It is water based and will not affect the foam. It will form a protective barrier so that you can use any spray paint... but you still have to be very cautious and do not assume that the foam is totally protected...

Here is my EPS foam FlyFly F-86 Sabre painted with Testor's Model Master spray paint...
chalmrast is offline Find More Posts by chalmrast
Last edited by chalmrast; Aug 18, 2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 03:37 PM
Joined Aug 2010
28 Posts
Hi Chalmrast

Thanks for your reply. i have found this paint which i can get in the uk
http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk...xd.asp?id=5135 i have ordered it but not recieved this yet. I will still test it on scrap foam first but hopefully it will work. Very nice plane BTW

Happy flying
Old Aug 24, 2010, 07:28 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
I have been using water based paints designe dof RC car bodies to paint foam planes. Works well on EPS (like the Phase 3) and otehrs, like the Elpor used on MultiPlex airframes.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Aug 31, 2010, 05:32 PM
Joined Aug 2010
28 Posts
Hi All

I used the paint i posted in the other link, thanks for all your help. her she is very happy!! Cant wait to test fly it, i will let you know how it goes. Im so happy with it though i dont want to throw it lol

Never put pics on before so i hope they work

Happy flying
Old Aug 31, 2010, 08:03 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2007
3,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukesy View Post
Hi All

I used the paint i posted in the other link, thanks for all your help. her she is very happy!! Cant wait to test fly it, i will let you know how it goes. Im so happy with it though i dont want to throw it lol

Never put pics on before so i hope they work

Happy flying
Hey, looks great... for a red F-16 that is....not sure I've ever seen one of those but who cares right?

I know those Phase 3's are good flyers... many guys in my club have/had them...
chalmrast is offline Find More Posts by chalmrast
Old Sep 01, 2010, 01:27 PM
Joined Aug 2010
28 Posts
Hi Mate

Thanks for your reply, yeah i like red to be diffrent but the first flight didnt go to well. I didnt want to do it grey incase i couldnt see it and id previously had a HET thudnerbird f16 which didnt fly. Just this second got back from the Phase 3 maiden and it was really nice to fly but as it came back across the ball link on one of the tail fins came off and it went straight in on the nose, total wright off! do you know if any guys at your club use diffrent linkages cause i am thinking about getting another one
Old Sep 10, 2010, 07:44 AM
Columbia, SC
Joined Jun 2008
106 Posts
you can go to your hardware store and get some spray clear shellac. This is alcohol based and will seal the foam and serve as a base for your regular spray paint. spray 2 even, through but not heavy, coats. While it is "clear" it does have a slight "yellowing" quality to it so mask off areas that you don't intend to paint. Drys in min. I do this all the time with foamies.

Joel
jdhughen is offline Find More Posts by jdhughen
Old Sep 11, 2010, 01:03 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,966 Posts
Does anybody know if the hot water trick will work on this model? I had what appears to be a brown out on my maiden flight of 6 secs. The front is all intact but now looks like a court jesters shoe without the bell on the tip!
Head
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain