HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2010, 06:41 PM
Canada, NB, Fredericton
Joined Feb 2007
34 Posts
Discussion
Newb wiring harness help

Hi All,

Been doing R/C for a while, really wanna try FPV. I have one of those hobbyking 2.4GHz 100mW transmitters running on 5V (the one that seems really small, I think it's actually 10mW). At any rate, the thing actually came with 2 separate wiring harnesses and several 'leftover' wires. The camera is said to run on 12V. Neither harness seems to do the job of supplying 12V and 5V on it's own.

I prepared now to create my own by Frankensteining what is there. But I'm leery since I was supplied the harnesses pre-maid... I'm worried I may be missing something.

Does anyone have this particular camera-transmitter set? The link is here. Anyone have any advice?
gfulton is offline Find More Posts by gfulton
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2010, 07:23 PM
Praying for better weather
Joined Dec 2007
4,152 Posts
Hi Gfulton

You get a voltage regulator as part of the package, so you run your camera off the 3 cell lipo supply then there should be a 5 volt regulated output from the seperate regulator supplied
Coyote64 is offline Find More Posts by Coyote64
Old Aug 23, 2010, 06:39 AM
Canada, NB, Fredericton
Joined Feb 2007
34 Posts
all good now.

All is okay now, I see that I had to combine both harnesses to provide 12V, 5V and return the signal from camera to transmitter. I don't know why I never considered combining them before wanting to cut the whole thing up and wiring it myself. Anyway, I seem to have a good video feed now.

I have a follow-up question though. I notice that the heli's own natural 'lean' when hovering actually shows up in the video. I'm wondering if you other heli FPVers make the camera mount account for the heli's natural tilt to one side. I find while looking at the video feed that I want to always feed in left aileron to get myself 'level' but that actually makes me start drifting left... very unnatural to the eye.

Is this something I should get used to when doing FPV or should I just include the angle when mounting the cam, thus creating the illusion of being level? Thanks!
gfulton is offline Find More Posts by gfulton