HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2010, 03:55 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,691 Posts
Discussion
"47 Belle"

I got this picture off the forum here and I'll be darned if I can find where. If anybody knows the name of this yacht or her length and width I'd like to hear from you. I'd like to add a model of her to my fleet. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2010, 04:54 PM
West Valley, New York
Joined Jun 2010
15 Posts
looks close to a set of plans on ebay the boat there was called bluebird of chelsea it said length was 52' beam at 11' displacment of 23.5 tons built by thornycroft ltd this wont help find the name of your boat but might jog someones memory
striper2301 is offline Find More Posts by striper2301
Old Aug 16, 2010, 05:40 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,691 Posts
I'm trying to decide if the "47" referes to the length of the boat or the year it was built. I'm leaning towards 47 feet long. What do you think? Pete
Thanks for the info Striper2301. The boat is something like the Vinyard too at least the hull is. The rest is different I guess I could build the model just from this picture but it would help a lot to know the length and the beam if nothing else. Pete
Last edited by norgale; Aug 16, 2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 06:15 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,742 Posts
NORGALE- I did some checking in my Guide to Wooden Power Boats, and found a 40’ design by L.E.Geary, which was built by the Vancouver Shipyards, Vancouver, B.C.,Canada in 1930. The name of the boat is DANAE, and it is a dead ringer of the boat , only it is 40’ long. My thinking is that the ship yard either built more than one boat to that design, or the designer may have lengthened the hull design.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Aug 16, 2010, 06:53 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,691 Posts
Thanks for that FrankG. I looked up the Vancover SHip yards and there wasn't anything there that looked like the Belle. From the looks of the background in the Belle picture,it could have been in the Vancouver area when the pic was taken. Looks Northerly anyway.
It's not all that important but I figured whoever posted the picture on here would see my thread and come on board with some info on the boat. Maybe that will happen yet. Pete
Old Aug 16, 2010, 07:14 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,625 Posts
Man, that looks like one that got beached in a storm at Mathias Point (Potomac River) just above Dahlgren, VA about 20 years ago. It was under the bluff where my friend lived and you couldn't see it from above. Sure was a pretty boat. It took a week before the owners came down from DC to claim it. I wish Finders Keepers worked

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 16, 2010, 09:49 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,764 Posts
Use the lifering as a scaling device. Assuming that the lifering is 30" in diameter - the hull is about 50' loa. The pilothouse door is about 80" high and 30" wide - standard house doors are 84" high and 30" wide.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Last edited by CG Bob; Aug 16, 2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 09:32 AM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,071 Posts
Pete, FrankG maybe onto something.
The boat looks to be flying a Canadian flag.
If the builder added 7 feet to the hull, you would end up with a nice cosy cockpit that this particular boat has. So 47 feet would be reasonable.
So lets say she is 47 feet long, beam would be around 12 to 14 feet.
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:32 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,691 Posts
CG Bob that's good. All I really need to scale the thing off is one good measurement and the life ring would do. Thanks for that info and the door info too. Both will be a big help.
Jerome that makes sense. I think the design is thirties or so and that leaves 47 to be the length. I think I'll stretch it out to 50 feet even so 1/8th scale ought to give me a model about three feet long. Am I doing this right? Pete
Old Aug 17, 2010, 11:10 AM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,619 Posts
This could also be a Stephens 50' as they are similar to others built out here on the west coast. Have photos of one similar here in my home port.
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
Old Aug 17, 2010, 09:33 PM
jda
Fossil builder
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2006
436 Posts
Can't help with demensions but I think this is the boat that was in Boothbay Harbor in '07. Ragtime out of Southport ME. The tour boat captain said it had just been restored for something over 1 mill. Just looked again at the first picture and It is not the right boat... Sorry
jda is offline Find More Posts by jda
Last edited by jda; Aug 17, 2010 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Wrong boat
Old Aug 18, 2010, 08:23 AM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,071 Posts
Your almost cutting wood Pete!
50 feet overall will give a nice sized model boat.
I would guess her to draw about 3 ~ 3 1/2" inches.
I'll keep looking in the old Wooden boat mag's I have, not found anything of value yet.
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Aug 18, 2010, 04:36 PM
Prnecton BC. Canada
Joined Dec 2009
3 Posts
It's a 47 ft Force 10 they were built in the early eighty's. It has a glass hull and there were 4 that I know of.They are on the west coast of British Coumbia.
Wet feet is online now Find More Posts by Wet feet
Old Aug 18, 2010, 05:03 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,691 Posts
Wet Feet I think your on the wrong thread. This is deffinetly not a Force 10.

Jerome thanks for looking in your books. It would be nice to get some accurate info on this boat but if it's not there it can still be built. Just have to guess at a few things that's all.

Keith I'll have to look up Stevens yachts. Maybe they are the builder . Pete
Old Aug 18, 2010, 07:54 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,742 Posts
JDA- That boat is a 1928 64’ Consolidated Shipbuilding Corp. Commuter. This is one of the boats I was looking to make a model and kit of for Legend Model Boats. When I was looking at the boat some years ago, she had a black painted hull which made her look even longer and lower on the freeboard. I even have a video of her cruising on one of the rivers and she really looks great. I am glad to here that she has had a full make over, she is my choice for a cruising yacht.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg