Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old Sep 03, 2010, 04:40 PM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
These are the Kirby Kites photo'ed at Tibenham this year. Is the one in your photo, Sutton Bank, amongst these?

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=kirb...48056149%40N06
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2010, 04:55 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard View Post
These are the Kirby Kites photo'ed at Tibenham this year. Is the one in your photo, Sutton Bank, amongst these?

Too many photos. I was in danger of missing dinner, except that I was eating it at the time!

I did like the looks of the Kite in camo. Something a bit different for a sailplane.

Thanks for posting.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old Sep 03, 2010, 05:06 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,919 Posts
Might POSSIBLY be growing on me a bit....
Woodstock 1 is online now Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Sep 03, 2010, 05:07 PM
North Yorkshire UK, on a big hill facing the prevailing wind. Coincidence?
Joined Oct 2007
914 Posts
Roger,
Yep, that's the one that's been flying over our garden all week. It belongs to Tony Maufe and was based at our local gliding club for many years.

Pete,
Yep the camo version was a result of the RAF trials into radar during the war. A Kite was rebuilt with no metal parts (e.g. wire control cables were replaced with wooden pushrods) to see if radar could still detect it. It could.

Oh, and happy to hear I'm not the only one to dine at the keyboard!

Rog
Sutton Bank is offline Find More Posts by Sutton Bank
Old Sep 04, 2010, 01:59 AM
Joined Aug 2010
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage1 View Post
yeah. I've been staring at the 3 views, but today was taking grand niece down the beach..so that's as far as its got.

I'll open up a thread when I get a round tuit, and we can discuss which variant, whether airbrakes..sheeted or planked, wing section and incidence.. etc etc

I had the idea the kit should cost exactly what the real one did in 1939..159.. I am guessing that will be extremely close to what it WILL cost, but there's a lot of little ribbies in the wing, so it is hard to say.
Sounds perfect 1/4 scale - a dream!!!!. Price is o.k and there also two plans available from Traplet for 1/4 scale if need be for ref?.

My only thoughts are to keep it as light as you can and simplify the construction - for your average builder!
v1 fan is offline Find More Posts by v1 fan
Old Sep 04, 2010, 02:21 AM
Gary P
Joined Aug 2007
224 Posts
Quarter scale, 3.55m, is perfect.

Much better than going for a weird scale like 1:4.7 or something. 3.55m fits in any car easily enough.

(I have a 3.8m Minimoa, it's a very practical size compared to the 5+ metre ones, yet big enough to fly really well.)
flamehead is offline Find More Posts by flamehead
Old Sep 04, 2010, 08:07 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamehead View Post
Quarter scale, 3.55m, is perfect.

Much better than going for a weird scale like 1:4.7 or something. 3.55m fits in any car easily enough.

(I have a 3.8m Minimoa, it's a very practical size compared to the 5+ metre ones, yet big enough to fly really well.)
Agreed! Nice compromise size for an older, lower-aspect ratio design (a modern high-aspect ship of that size doesn't work so well, IMO).
Woodstock 1 is online now Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Sep 04, 2010, 04:39 PM
North Yorkshire UK, on a big hill facing the prevailing wind. Coincidence?
Joined Oct 2007
914 Posts
Kirby Kite

I realised this afternoon why they're called Kites. They just hang there in the sky, crawling soooo slowly it must defy physics. Amazing.

Here's another photo for those that like varnished ply.

Rog
Sutton Bank is offline Find More Posts by Sutton Bank
Old Sep 04, 2010, 08:52 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,689 Posts
Cripes. Now if I made a model that looked like that someone would say it was poor workmanship!

Excellent skid detail though.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Sep 05, 2010, 01:09 AM
Joined Jul 2006
145 Posts
Disregard this as I am a computer dummy. I was trying to give you a photo of my 1/4 scale Kite on tow
Fred China is offline Find More Posts by Fred China
Last edited by Fred China; Sep 05, 2010 at 01:31 AM.
Old Sep 05, 2010, 03:34 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred China View Post
Disregard this as I am a computer dummy. I was trying to give you a photo of my 1/4 scale Kite on tow
I'd like to see it Fred. You need two things: a) to know where in your computer the photo is hiding and b) to have a photo that's not too big - the RCG "system" will do some resizing but it would prefer to start with something around 100-200kb. You can post larger but the RCG recommendation for a .jpg is 137k

If you've got a) and b) click on "go advanced" which will then open another box. Click on "manage attachments" and then click on "browse". This will open the door to your computer and you can go to the folder where your picture is, and click on the picture itself.

Once you've selected the picture click on the "upload" button. The computer will grunt away for a short while and then your picture will appear with a text box where, if you wish, you can add words. If you do add text remember to click the "save" button otherwise just press the "close this window" button and press "Submit reply" in the normal way.

IF you can fly the Kite you can do this - go to it Fred!
Old Sep 05, 2010, 03:37 AM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred China View Post
Try again! Interesting glider.
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Old Sep 05, 2010, 03:40 AM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard View Post

"We couldn't find anything matching your search"
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Old Sep 05, 2010, 03:42 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutton Bank View Post
I realised this afternoon why they're called Kites. They just hang there in the sky, crawling soooo slowly it must defy physics. Amazing.

Here's another photo for those that like varnished ply.

Rog
Roger, if you find yourself on the ground beside the Kite at some point in the future can you please get a straight on close up of the logo on the cockpit side, for those of us who like to make their own waterslide decals. Thanks.

If you were going to replicate the scheme of Tony Maufe's kite to the extent of just appearing to have a varnished wood fuselage you'd presumably need to cover it in something for structural strength, bearing in mind the model will be balsa planked/sheeted, not ply. (Oh please Vintage1 not ply!).

I'm wondering what? It's got to be effectively invisible once you've "varnished" it. Very light weight glass cloth as one might "glass" a foamie? Ideas anyone?

EDIT

Roger I think CW's helpful post (#76) has rendered my request for that picture redundant.
Last edited by Roger Lombard; Sep 05, 2010 at 07:05 AM.
Old Sep 05, 2010, 03:49 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArneHu View Post
"We couldn't find anything matching your search"

Whoops, don't know what's happened there but click the link again ArneHu. When you get to the "we couldn't find..." delete "Kirby kite" from the search box and insert "2010". You'll get more than just the Kites but I hope you'll find it interesting anyway.
Closed Thread