HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Aug 16, 2010, 03:28 PM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Some great suggestions coming in, Gentlemen - how the hell are we going to choose?
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2010, 03:51 PM
aka : SteveBB..
South Yorkshire,England
Joined May 2007
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard View Post
Some great suggestions coming in, Gentlemen - how the hell are we going to choose?
May I refer the honourable gentleman to his quest for garnishing ideas?

They can't all be built at once, so why not have a poll of those that have been passed as dooable (drawings and specs easily to hand)? Of the suggestions, a very small percentage will be in that catagory. Then poll those, choose the top two or three to be done first..the rest on the back burner?..
Stevepilot is offline Find More Posts by Stevepilot
Old Aug 16, 2010, 04:29 PM
North Yorkshire UK, on a big hill facing the prevailing wind. Coincidence?
Joined Oct 2007
915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage1 View Post
The very best 3 view is this one

VERY unusual subject but I reckon a very good flyer might result. The wing looks 'right' to me.
Lots of good stuff on the Merlin here:

http://www.scalesoaring.co.uk/VINTAG...in/Merlin.html

It really is a lovely plane, and I've never seen it modelled. Although my vote goes whole-heartedly to the King Kite. Gull wing Sensible proportions Character and curves Seldom modelled Flaps + ailerons for crow-braking + camber change Made in North Yorkshire

What's not to love?

Lots of good info near the above link too.

Rog
Sutton Bank is offline Find More Posts by Sutton Bank
Old Aug 16, 2010, 05:15 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark3f View Post
There's a nice 3-view of the Zugvogel in the same Martin Simons book as the Skylark 2 "Merlyn" I can get all the detailed photos of the Zugvogel you'd need too!
That Zugvogel is really nice.. Any more pics?
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Aug 16, 2010, 05:21 PM
..full opposite rudder..
Cranfield Uni, Beds, UK
Joined Nov 2004
79 Posts
Here it is again, captured with another example of the breed at the International VGC Rally in Tibenham a couple of weeks ago: it was a good week.
skylark3f is offline Find More Posts by skylark3f
Old Aug 16, 2010, 05:40 PM
Joined Jul 2009
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The SKY MAN View Post
What about the standard austria?
+1

Never seen it but I like the lines.
edfmaniac is offline Find More Posts by edfmaniac
Old Aug 16, 2010, 06:08 PM
Utah, USA
Joined Jun 2007
622 Posts
Olympia 2b

A 3-view from Martin Simons of the original Meise
A small section showing the EON 2b with the blown canopy and wheel
A very nice photo (unusual color scheme) of the Olympia 2b
shinck is online now Find More Posts by shinck
Old Aug 16, 2010, 06:24 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,469 Posts
I would suggest that it would be an advantage to keep to a simple (ish) design to maximise uptake. All these curves and gull wings, although beautiful to look at do make for a protracted build which is not everyone's cup of tea (coffee for the americans amongst us!).
The dear old Oly Meise and all its derivatives do however tempt me slightly as my first share of a f/s glider was a Nord de mille ex F-CAIU .....
Happy days.
GeeW is offline Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Aug 16, 2010, 06:38 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
Frankly all are similar work.

The only gains I can see area fabric covered rear fuselage. But a glider like this will always have a load of ribs, and wing sheeting, and the actual gull wing or not is no big deal. Its never going to be a 'quick' build.

Collect all the ideas into a poll and vote on it..
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Aug 16, 2010, 07:31 PM
Utah, USA
Joined Jun 2007
622 Posts
OK, I have wanted a Olympia for a long time.
In fact, I have the Charlesworth 1/4 scale plans and even have the planform with modern HQ transitioning airfoils and washout tabs designed in CompuFoil 3D. Construction techniques match the Charlesworth plan.
IF this sailplane is kitted, I would be more than happy to send the files (which could be downsized to 1/5 scale) to get it started.

Scott
shinck is online now Find More Posts by shinck
Old Aug 17, 2010, 03:00 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark3f View Post
How about a Zugvogel IIIA?

It's got the same construction as a K8 and has the same performance in flight as a K18. Certainly not an overmodelled glider!

See the attached photo.
Some more pictures here http://www.flickr.com/photos/tibenha...7624660824696/

and by the way lots of pictures of other classics at Tibenham 2010
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Aug 17, 2010, 04:27 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
I have to ask, how much do people care about ultimate scale fidelity?

Thinking about the King Kite, only 3-4 ever made, no two exactly alike..drawings exist somewhere, but they must be development drawings since it never really was 'in production'...I mean if its simply a beautiful model that is recognisable as a king kite...do you care beyond that?

The reason being I can take a 3V sketch and produce a solid model that 'looks right' without having exact cross sections etc..but it wont necessarily be right as it were.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Aug 17, 2010, 08:08 AM
North Yorkshire UK, on a big hill facing the prevailing wind. Coincidence?
Joined Oct 2007
915 Posts
Hi Vintage1,

What is it they say..."You can't please all of the people all of the time..."

My own preference is for models to be as faithful in outline and crossection as possible, but I'm happy with some deviations if they help the model fly better (e.g. up-sizing tailplanes/control surface areas). I like a model that gets flown, not hung from the ceiling.

At the other end of the scale, I expect the real scale fanatics would prefer to research and scratch build their own models anyway.

And of course the big plus of a kit build, regarless of your level of scale purism, is that you can modify and enhance to suit your own taste much more easily than you can with an ARTF.

That probably didn't help, did it? But I can send you King Kite fuselage X-sections if that helps...!

Rog
Sutton Bank is offline Find More Posts by Sutton Bank
Old Aug 17, 2010, 08:12 AM
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Feb 2006
1,799 Posts
Interesting question that should be at the heart of the issue. Is the target audience for this plane the first time scale builder or experienced scale builder who just wants to build something from a kit for a change? And what sort of scale fidelity does that target demand?

I'm sort of going through that right now myself. I want to build my first scale ship and have been doing a lot of research over the past two weeks. I'm an above average builder and have built other planes from scratch. I've gone from looking for affordable kits (few and far between) to deciding on a scratch build and scaling plans to get into the 3m range. I too think it is an under-served area.

The balance is to build a scale ship that I can be proud of and that looks right vs. feeling that I need to build a museum quality model. That line of thinking has also guided me in my choices. I've found a lot of ships that would look great, but the scale detailing involved is beyond my desire at the moment. I know that creating a true scale 'work of art' comes down to the final 10%, and that's where I personally always stall. I just want a subject that avoids that final 10%.

Some of the subjects presented in this thread fit that bill. I think the Zugvogel is a real looker and doesn't seem like it would be that complex and would be easy to make it look right. Another thought I had was for a motorglider like the ASK14. That's a beautiful ship and is on my short list as well - as much for the easy launch options as anything. I don't have access to a good slope or tow planes in my area. My plans are to shrink these drawings to 1:4.5 to get a 3.17 meter ship.
http://scalesoaring.co.uk/MOTOR_GLID...14_Models.html

Dion
dion9146 is offline Find More Posts by dion9146
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Gull plan pics
Old Aug 17, 2010, 08:43 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,993 Posts
"+1" to both the previous two posts (with the exception of the motorglider bit....)!
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Closed Thread