Old Feb 22, 2011, 02:49 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
The FPV stearman will come next !

grest video, again I like the view, you have to look on the side when climbing just like in the real thing.

Good fit with the new landing gear, it is great when you don't have to go buy new things and use old ones and it fits.

I usually don't like OSD that have too much in fo on the bottom because it obstructs the down view, but with your cokcpit view the info looks like it is on the instrument panel where it is supposed to be. Nice.
Open cockpit is a good idea!
Art Newland is offline Find More Posts by Art Newland
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2011, 02:55 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike8 View Post
Art, That's one of the reasons why I really like this thread. I think we are kinda on the same page for what we want out of fpv... I don't want to make HD movies, Super Long range flights I just want to experience flight like I'm in the plane. That's why I liked the kadet video so much.

BTW... I'm thinking I really like that CEOSD too... I don't mind metric, it looks good and the price is nice too...
I paid about $100 for my CEOSD, had it in just a couple days though. What drew me to it was the simpicity of it, there is no configuration, it has 10hz GPS and I like the look of it on the display. Being a GEEK at heart, the more sophisicated OSD's are still calling to me, but with so much to learn already, that can wait. With so many different OSD's to choose from, it is quite a lot to absorb.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 06:50 PM
Washougal, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
Interesting observations

I wondered what would happen if I powered my video transmitter & camera with a 2 cell lipo instead of a 3 cell lipo. Did a lot of messing around and did 2 flights without a problem.

I powered up the entire system in the house for several hours and let it run until the video quit sending usable signal. This occured at 6.8 volts!

When the system was powered by the 2 cell lipo, the video transmitter got warm to the touch. I would estimate 100 to 105 degrees f. (camera felt about the same).

I then powered up the system with a 3 cell lipo. In 5 minutes, I could no longer maintain contact with the video transmitter because it was too hot! I would estimate 140 degrees plus. (caused by the action of a voltage regulator in the transmitter?)

I'm using the 500 mW video transmitter from DPCAV, and a Security2000 540 line camera. In my case, I see no advantage to powering the system with a 3 cell lipo any more. (no sense in trying to warm up the outdoors!)

I think it would be worth your while to try using a 2 cell lipo to power your transmitter/camera systems, if it works as well as my experiment has shown.
balsabuster2004 is offline Find More Posts by balsabuster2004
Old Feb 22, 2011, 06:56 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
I paid about $100 for my CEOSD, had it in just a couple days though. What drew me to it was the simpicity of it, there is no configuration, it has 10hz GPS and I like the look of it on the display. Being a GEEK at heart, the more sophisicated OSD's are still calling to me, but with so much to learn already, that can wait. With so many different OSD's to choose from, it is quite a lot to absorb.

The same can be said for my many OCDs!!

Cool experiment Chuck. Way to use the 'ol noggin'!
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Feb 22, 2011, 07:30 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
11,415 Posts
if you power your system with less voltage, I wonder if the range is reduced ? Might be a good idea to check that LOS or in buddy box to be safe. I plan to ditch the VTx dedicated lipo and use the plane's battery instead to save weight and to help balance the plane with the Go Pro. it is a 3S anyway. Of course I will need the filter between the VTx and battery.
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2011, 08:20 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsabuster2004 View Post
I wondered what would happen if I powered my video transmitter & camera with a 2 cell lipo instead of a 3 cell lipo. Did a lot of messing around and did 2 flights without a problem.

I powered up the entire system in the house for several hours and let it run until the video quit sending usable signal. This occured at 6.8 volts!

When the system was powered by the 2 cell lipo, the video transmitter got warm to the touch. I would estimate 100 to 105 degrees f. (camera felt about the same).

I then powered up the system with a 3 cell lipo. In 5 minutes, I could no longer maintain contact with the video transmitter because it was too hot! I would estimate 140 degrees plus. (caused by the action of a voltage regulator in the transmitter?)

I'm using the 500 mW video transmitter from DPCAV, and a Security2000 540 line camera. In my case, I see no advantage to powering the system with a 3 cell lipo any more. (no sense in trying to warm up the outdoors!)

I think it would be worth your while to try using a 2 cell lipo to power your transmitter/camera systems, if it works as well as my experiment has shown.
Nice experiment "electronbuster"!

It's worth a try. I just happen to have a 2S-800 I could try. It's very likely that there is a 5v linear regulator in the video gear, you usually have to have at least a volt higher than the regulator to continue to get 5v. Less volts means less current too, a smaller mA battery could last as long as a higher capacity 3S battery.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 09:37 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,468 Posts
I hate bending music wire, I have no specialized tools to do it, but decided to make new main gear for the Kadet. This way I won't have to modify the airframe, and it'll always be an option to do later if it doesn't work out. Real music wire is so much stronger than what came with the ARF, hopefully it will hold up. It seems much better, wallowed around like a '58 Buick with bad shock absorbers before.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 07:58 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
5,869 Posts
Quote:
I'm using the RD-148 Futaba (FM) that came with the 9C. There is a good picture of it in the RSSI thread, looks reasonably easy to get to. I'm still afraid to use 2.4 at our club enviroment... love those short antennas though. I've heard good (better) things about the Futaba FASST systems, as far as longer range for FPV. I bought one of the Coronas, still have to try it out. I've heard the resolution to the servos isn't very good, what's your experience?
From what I have seen the FrSky 2.4gHz is just as good as the futaba in the phase shift technology, Spektrum seems the least performing system ...
The 8 channel Corona synth is great ! cheap as chips and not a single glitch when flying away, I can recommend ! the corona servos, well I heard bad things about them but as far as I am concerned they seem fine and more importantly, easier to convert to 1680 degree servos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by balsabuster2004 View Post
I wondered what would happen if I powered my video transmitter & camera with a 2 cell lipo instead of a 3 cell lipo.
That is a great experiment, my guess is that the range and vision will be unaffected and that you are prolonging the system's life by not stressing it.

Quote:
I hate bending music wire, I have no specialized tools to do it
All you need is a vice and a hammer if is doesn't bend, hit is harder
rcmonster99 is online now Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:36 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,468 Posts
Like this?
Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:39 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,468 Posts
And this?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14354
Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:58 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
Joined Sep 2003
5,869 Posts
Quote:
Like this?

Quote:
Correct on both counts !
Old Feb 23, 2011, 09:03 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,468 Posts
Wow... RSSI telemetry?
Old Feb 23, 2011, 09:52 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
Joined Sep 2003
5,869 Posts
Quote:
Wow... RSSI telemetry?
mmm... dunno...this is the review that got me hooked. srcoll down to see the video.
http://www.giantcod.co.uk/frsky-v8ft...-p-405313.html
Old Feb 23, 2011, 10:57 AM
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmonster99 View Post

That is a great experiment, my guess is that the range and vision will be unaffected and that you are prolonging the system's life by not stressing it.
I flew out at 1450 feet and 600 ft high and didn't notice any degradation of signal.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 11:01 AM
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Less volts means less current too, a smaller mA battery could last as long as a higher capacity 3S battery.
Took some readings today. Video system draws 320mA on 3S battery. 255mA on 2S battery. 2S will last 1-1/4 times as long as the 3S battery of the same capacity. (plus, the 2S battery is only 2/3 the weight of the 3S battery).
Last edited by balsabuster2004; Feb 23, 2011 at 12:00 PM.