SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:46 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinee View Post
what is the problem of HK gear??
I don't really know if there is a "problem" with it or not, I just want to get something that I can install with little or (preferably) no tweaking whatsoever to get it working right out of the box, and I want it to be reliable.

I'm building a AP/AV platform that is going to be hauling some pricey camera equipment around. When I was buying components, for example the motor, even though there is no "problems" with equivalent HK gear, I went with a Pulso at 2-3x the price, just for peace of mind. I am going to be eventually relying on FPV gear at some point, and if I have to spend $200 - $300 for rock solid gear over $80 gear that works "pretty good most of the time" then I'll take the pricier stuff.

From what I have read the HK FPV stuff seems like its pretty good, but it also seems like there is a bit of tweaking etc. to get it working at it's optimum. Art has amassed a fair bit of experience at it now after reading through this thread, and I value what his opinion is now and if he would go the same route again.
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:47 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Apr 2001
13,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenstr View Post
Art - given that you have amassed a fair amount of fpv experience by now, I just have a question. If you were starting from square 1 again, with what you know now, would you go with the HK gear again?

I am still on the fence about what I'm going to get, but I'm leaning towards one of the offerings on this side of the pond, but the HK price is certainly attractive..
I guess it all depends on some things. If I had the money I'd get higher quality gear. My goal all along has been to have good solid video fairly close in. I'm very pleased with the results I've gotten from my HK setups, both the 200 and the 800. The antennas are the key, you'll need them no matter what you buy. If you are looking for long range, I'd think you'd want as reliable of equipment as possible. I also think 800 mW is overkill for what I'm doing and just causes more issues with RC interference to have to deal with. I'm looking forward to pushing the 200 mW system out further to see how it does... might be all I need.
Carguy bought some nice stuff, I'm sure he's pleased with it.
Art Newland is offline Find More Posts by Art Newland
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:50 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,955 Posts
I might also mention that my dealings with HK have been favorable, no problems, will buy again from them.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:27 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,094 Posts
Glenstr

I bought a little higher priced stuff than HK and it is very reliable, I had no tweaking to do (for now) and can get (so far) a decent 2500 - 2800 ft of video range out of the basic system and antennas. I'd say Art has the same range with his HK system, but the HK camera is of lower quality (sorry Art) and he had to tweak a bit with it, but he is far better than me at electronics and knows what components to add to make it work better. I understand it is not what you want to do.

From your pov though, why cut now on quality if you didn't for your whole build and you want to carry some expensive cams ? Buy better than HK, it won't be too costly. My gear (camera, VTx, Vrx, microphone) costs me 281 $ shipped with taxes, so it is not that hard on the wallet.

Understand that you will have to do some range testing for your video and Rc link when trying out ANY KIND of FPV gear. There is some plug and play system (like immersion RC) but no plug and play install. It is the install that will make or break the system reliability.

Hope this helps !

Carguy
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:33 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,966 Posts
Thanks Art/Carguy - I have bought a fair amount from HK as well and they are great. Shipping takes a few weeks and it's a nice "surprise" when there is a package waiting for me, almost like Christmas again :-)

Their marketing / web people are genius's, especially the feedback on how much weight you have left at the current shipping rate, I find myself grabbing things I wasn't really planning on getting (LED strings, extra props, for example) to get the order to the limit..

Right now I am leaning towards the custom 900Mhz 500mW package from Tim at readymaderc, I have the GoPro already so I can drop the camera and be into it for just over 200 clams, just need a display for the receiver end. I think I may pick up the HK 200mW package for my Super Cub though, which is more my "fun" plane.

For testing I plan on testing extensively, probably mounting the plane or fuselage to the roof of my wifes jeep and her driving around the area I live by while I monitor and talk to her via cell phone, I was thinking I'd mount the cam facing back so I could monitor FPV and my rudder & elevator controls at the same time.
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:54 AM
Washougal, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenstr View Post
I was thinking I'd mount the cam facing back so I could monitor FPV and my rudder & elevator controls at the same time.
Kinda like driving your car down the road with your windshield painted over? You'll be surprised how little those control surfaces actually move.
balsabuster2004 is offline Find More Posts by balsabuster2004
Last edited by balsabuster2004; Feb 15, 2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 12:19 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,094 Posts
Quote:
Right now I am leaning towards the custom 900Mhz 500mW package from Tim at readymaderc
Equivalent to what I got. He's got great service.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2011, 12:37 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,955 Posts
Glenstr, I think Carguy is giving you good advice. I also think that setting up your cub with some expendable gear is a great idea. Get that working, will be a great learning experiance, get some airtime with it. When comfortable move on to you expensive setup.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 04:53 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
Glenstr, I think Carguy is giving you good advice. I also think that setting up your cub with some expendable gear is a great idea. Get that working, will be a great learning experiance, get some airtime with it. When comfortable move on to you expensive setup.
+1 on that !
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2011, 05:45 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,185 Posts
Hey Art

you have a loooooooong way to go on the kadet or the seniorita

bambi n°7 1er teste fpv (5 min 11 sec)
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Feb 15, 2011, 07:19 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,094 Posts
Well...the artificial horizon is not working so...

Oh man that is sooo cooool ! Good practice for the rudder with the little bubble !
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2011, 08:21 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,955 Posts
Come on RCmonster, cut me a little slack, I'm just a noob!

Thanks for posting this, I want to check it out more.

Just build a scale plane or at least a scale cockpit, add FPV gear and Bob's your uncle!

Interesting to see the turn coordinator, I've often wondered why someone doesn't develope an electronic device to automate rudder for coordinator turns. I've been a Scale Masters flight judge for a long time, seen lots of stunning scale planes flying with lots of adverse yaw.

Have you all been following the CGI cockpit that flipflap is developing?
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:02 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,094 Posts
Great weather tomorrow, I'm going to fly guys ! I'll bring the flycams of course BTW Art, I was cleaning in the shop just 5 min ago and i didn't pull a stitch but i sure did pull the "x" tape I had over one Hole is well closed though

Also, here is a little project I could finish while recovering. It will never fly, but if you like planes, I think you'll like this one.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:15 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
Great weather tomorrow, I'm going to fly guys ! I'll bring the flycams of course BTW Art, I was cleaning in the shop just 5 min ago and i didn't pull a stitch but i sure did pull the "x" tape I had over one Hole is well closed though

Also, here is a little project I could finish while recovering. It will never fly, but if you like planes, I think you'll like this one.
Always liked the voodoo.
Looking forward to some video, weather is shaping up here for Saturday, might be able to get the Kadet in the air. Also have found a location for my first covert SlowStick FPV mission...

Did you get a way to record your video downlink yet?
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:49 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,094 Posts
Quote:
Also have found a location for my first covert SlowStick FPV mission...
Woah ! Art's going reckless

Quote:
Did you get a way to record your video downlink yet?
Nope Sorry, but I'll place the flycam in a better place. Did some digging around in town and nobody seems to know what a digital video recorder is I may have to uncancel my ebay account I can find ways to digitalize old vinyl records, negatives, slides, even buisiness card, but no video unless it is with a USB capture and computer at the field. Please tell me it would be possible with an Ipod touch, I'd like one of those...
RCG Plus Member