Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:56 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
Hey all !

The Tonka Sumit project is coming to completion soon. Tonka body install finished and installed lower compare to the plast pics I posted. The DL is installed, lots of wiring but nothing apparent under truck and in Tonka. The video system is installed but the camera positionning is what I am testing to obtain the view I want. I want to see the driver's arms, dash and co-pilot like if I was in the car. Should finish that this week end.

Then I'll get on the tricopter. It needs to shed some weight and I'll shorten the arms and redo the wiring using the power distribution on the KK board. Also will lose its motor mounts since I'll just screw the motors bases to the arms.

I also just ordered a PZ0420 FPV camera for the Skywalker since it lost his to the summit. I've always been pleased with this cam, the new one should be a bit better. I'll install it on pan and tilt, been wanting that for a while and after trying pan and tilt on the summit just MUST have it on the plane.

I should get in the air soon, really looking forward to it. Stay tuned !

So, what are YOU guys doing ? Some fun lately (FPV I mean) ?
not an awful lot is the answer i'm afraid. the weather has really been crap around here. Having said that I am expecting next saturday will be flyable. My thumbs a twitching. I am getting a second hand gopro 2 naked for a fistful of pounds (60) which I am thankful to the gopro3
so that will find it's way on the hcopter soon when I get it. otherwise I am resisting the urges to spend money . Someone is tempting me with an X8 unbuilt, then the skyhunter is also tempting me and finally I want to try an APM2.5 as an autopilot for a plane (ardupilot)...
On the other hand I have a ride on mower (club mower) to work on and I have to roll the strip at the club. but again the weather has been putting a stop to all this !!!.
I am also looking forward to have some flights with the Reaper which is sleeping peacefully in the shed waiting for a decent grass strip to take off from.

On of the club members bought a second hand Ursus that I am preparing for him as he is converting to the dark side too.

All this and work has been manic lately !

PLenty to do but easy does it
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:09 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Apr 2001
13,976 Posts
Got some bad news today...
Chuck (balsbuster) passed away last night. 8^(
Art Newland is offline Find More Posts by Art Newland
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:42 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
Joined Sep 2003
6,271 Posts
What?!?! Total surprise !!!! Aw man ... How ? Why? He did not give the impression he was ill ? I am soooo sorry Art ! I am in shock !!! My condolences
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:42 PM
Fort Worth Tx
Joined Nov 2010
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
Got some bad news today...
Chuck (balsbuster) passed away last night. 8^(
Sorry to hear that Art.

I enjoyed his positive attitude and tales and video exploits...

I pray his family is ok.

He will be missed...
Rotorshake is offline Find More Posts by Rotorshake
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:02 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,329 Posts
I'm shocked...very sorry Art, my condolences. I think you two were close ? I don't know how old he was but I found him pretty good to have a go with FPV and all those ET stuff.
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:13 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,966 Posts
Wow, I visit this thread for the first time in awhile and see bad news like that, very sorry to hear that.

Always enjoyed BB's posts and especially his videos.

Sincere condolences from all of us up here Art, please pass them along
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:06 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
Joined Sep 2003
6,271 Posts
Sounds weird, I never knew Balsabuster personally, but he has been a lot in my mind ...
I have always been looking forward to read his posts.
He gave me the impression that he was the essence of the traditionalist modeller that would be building his planes from scratch.
I remember the complexity of his plane with his hard times setting the EagleEeyes station which he eventually managed successfully.
It really amused me how despite the long range capabilities of his gear, his videos were of flights which never seemed to exceed visual range

His passing away has been playing on my mind quite a lot because it made me think how unpredictable life can be. Life looks steady and settle, and here we were, a bunch of "internet friends" , chipping away at our little projects when suddenly we lose one of ours...

I have an image in my mind of the man he possibly was (again never met in person) I would have thought he would not want to be the reason why fun had to stop and why this thread should vanish away because it seems kinda wrong to continue.

Some of his memories are here, he left some thoughts here, and we had a giggle together with him in this very thread. It would be a shame to lose all that because he has been taken away from us.

So forgive me if I seem to be bold with my thoughts, but I think we should continue this thread with him very much in our minds. I have the impression he would have wanted us to continue, and to continue having fun in what we do.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:10 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
Joined Sep 2003
6,271 Posts
Carguy

A friend in the club has gone your way and got himself a Summit.
This car is a serious piece of model engineering ! 4 wheel drive, diff lock, 2 speed gearbox... wow !

anyway yesterday's weather was just good enough to toy a bit line of sight, and he produced the mean truck, so we had a play

Summit Jumps (1 min 50 sec)
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:05 AM
Winnipeg
Joined Feb 2002
5,960 Posts
Sorry to hear about BB. I liked his posts and stories.
Shadrack is offline Find More Posts by Shadrack
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:52 AM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Nov 2004
671 Posts
balsa buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmonster99 View Post
Sounds weird, I never knew Balsabuster personally, but he has been a lot in my mind ...
I have always been looking forward to read his posts.
He gave me the impression that he was the essence of the traditionalist modeller that would be building his planes from scratch.
I remember the complexity of his plane with his hard times setting the EagleEeyes station which he eventually managed successfully.
It really amused me how despite the long range capabilities of his gear, his videos were of flights which never seemed to exceed visual range

His passing away has been playing on my mind quite a lot because it made me think how unpredictable life can be. Life looks steady and settle, and here we were, a bunch of "internet friends" , chipping away at our little projects when suddenly we lose one of ours...

.I have an image in my mind of the man he possibly was (again never met in person) I would have thought he would not want to be the reason why fun had to stop and why this thread should vanish away because it seems kinda wrong to continue.

Some of his memories are here, he left some thoughts here, and we had a giggle together with him in this very thread. It would be a shame to lose all that because he has been taken away from us.

So forgive me if I seem to be bold with my thoughts, but I think we should continue this thread with him very much in our minds. I have the impression he would have wanted us to continue, and to continue having fun in what we do.
RC monster:
Thanks so much for you kind thoughts and comments about my brother. I
forwarded this message to the rest of our family who thank you deeply for your thoughts, His daughter will be reading it at the service if that is okay with you...

Joe Kacin
pkfoamer is offline Find More Posts by pkfoamer
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:49 PM
Joined Nov 2004
671 Posts
balsa buster short obituary

http://www.straubsfuneralhome.com/_m...php?id=1173061
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:04 PM
Washougal, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
Thank you everyone for your kind words about my father. I am responding from his computer right now. I am sorry that you are now missing an internet friend and one who would tenaciously try to find the right solution or best buy for even the newest of flyers online. That was something he loved doing.

When he wasn't flying he was building, tinkering or waiting for something fancy to come in the mail. He was like a kid on Christmas waiting for the mail to come and when he received the items he would enthusiastically explain to the mailman exactly what the gadgets were.

He gained a lot of friends through this hobby and learned a lot from all of you. He often talked about how one individual or another was doing within the hobby and outside of it. I would have to ask him if this person was someone he knew locally or someone online as he spoke of them all as a close group of friends.

Every day his brother would call him and mostly about the hobby. It was fun to hear them get excited as they came to a solution of a problem together.

Personally I don't know how well I would do trying to fly one of these things as I can't seem to master even the simplest of video games. That being said I will give it a try in his memory.

Perhaps I'll be BalsaBuster jr .

Again thank you everyone,

James
balsabuster2004 is offline Find More Posts by balsabuster2004
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:20 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
Joined Sep 2003
6,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkfoamer View Post
His daughter will be reading it at the service if that is okay with you...

Joe Kacin
I would be honored...

Quote:
Originally Posted by balsabuster2004 View Post
Personally I don't know how well I would do trying to fly one of these things as I can't seem to master even the simplest of video games. That being said I will give it a try in his memory.

Perhaps I'll be BalsaBuster jr .

Again thank you everyone,

James
That would be great !!! if you like a challenge and enjoy great satisfactions from solving technical puzzles, then, not only you might get sucked into it, but also you will get to know one of the aspects of his life...in a sense, one of the things that made him tic..
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:13 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,329 Posts
It's funny...like RCM, Balsabuster was in my mind in the last few days. I too feel we knitted a close group of internet friends here, a clan. Since joining the noobie tread, I've shared some moments of my life as well as hobby related matter with some of the people in this tread. When my father died last spring, Art was one of the first people I sent the news.

Since then many things I didn't think of going through have actually happened in my life. The hobby has helped me a lot in these moments, giving some peace of mind and time for reflexion while working in the shop and beeing in the air.

The fact that we see the words beeing posted here means that we have something a bit special here, something that always makes it fun to "come in here" and share things about our hobby and sometimes something else. I, like RCM, wish that it continues.

I'd like to share again this video of a flight I made where my parents live a short while after my father's death. It's kind of in the mood, and shows why flying FPV is part of what helps me go through life, and I wish that it is something like that Balsabuster is seeing from where he is now:

Saint-Fabien-sur-mer Altitude (4 min 57 sec)
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:45 PM
Joined Nov 2004
671 Posts
carguy saint fabian vid

i remember this one from earlier days...if i remember right you had thought about going all the way out to that island, but was cautious!! Very nice peaceful video. ....great scenery for the flight.