Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:27 AM
Washougal, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
Get the plane and hang it in your garage til he ask for it. Repaint and fly if he doesn't Did he ask for you to fing it ?
No.
balsabuster2004 is offline Find More Posts by balsabuster2004
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:46 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsabuster2004 View Post
No.
I wish you'd fing my spider quad...
Art Newland is offline Find More Posts by Art Newland
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:52 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,078 Posts
Quote:
No.
Some guys dump planes like they don't care. I always find it sad to lose a good plane and try to find it asd fast as I can. Its nice of you (and I bet fun ) to locate the lost planes at your club. Of course, it would be even more fun if you posted the cabin view landings of your FPV recon flights
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV week end with friends
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:54 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
I wish you'd fing my spider quad...
Maybe they'll dig it up in a couple hundred years when they make searches to find what it was like in that end of fossile fuel era. Maybe they'll use solar powered autonomous digging drones ?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:16 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
5,993 Posts
Quote:
This is the 11th lost plane spotted by video gear on one of my planes set up for FPV. The plane looks to be about 1,160 feet from the middle of our runway. This is a screen shot taken from a video taken by my 808 #18 keychain camera. The plane was lost on Friday the 13th. The owner spent some time looking for the plane on that same day, but hasen't been back to look for it since I have pinpointed it. I guess he doesn't care. And I'm risking my dollar intensive plane looking for his $100 airplane? I must be crazy. (I got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning)?

Nobody has since gone out there looking for the plane. I guess it's going to beome a permanent fixture of the countryside, just like Art's quadcopter.
and it looks good and intact... I would go for it but I gather this is a snake and crocodile infested swamp out there ? any piranhas ?
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Jul 17, 2012, 02:10 PM
AD6-HL, MK3638, Pro Mount-200
Panama
Joined Oct 2011
211 Posts
Quote:
Some guys dump planes like they don't care. I always find it sad to lose a good plane and try to find it asd fast as I can. Its nice of you (and I bet fun ) to locate the lost planes at your club. Of course, it would be even more fun if you posted the cabin view landings of your FPV recon flights
Once I was flying my AD6-HL at 1,000m high, directly above me, was using double batteries (6200 mAh each), didn't know until now that old lipo batteries and banged up from crashes shorten life considerably (don't hold what actually is supposed to).

10 minutes after lifting I noticed the voltage was dropping considerably, then proceeded to "drop it like its hot", I was running the FPV and MK tool, all of sudden I loose both signals, then put throttle to 100% just in case, I only heard the usual buzz from the engines (I assume it was descending quite fast) and the few seconds of 100% throttle saved it from total annihilation.

When this happened I was sure I wouldn't be able to find it, but after 10 minutes driving around the perimeter my friend spot it in a low grass field, about 600m where we launched it. We got SO lucky, in most case you never find it due to tall grass, high trees, difficult access areas.

I've read people use GPS beacons on their rigs and what not.

Well that's my short happy ending story (it ended with messed up camera mount and a few broken gear rails). Considering it only took us 10 minutes to find it, VERY LUCKY.
Panama TJ is offline Find More Posts by Panama TJ
Old Jul 17, 2012, 02:23 PM
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmonster99 View Post
and it looks good and intact... I would go for it but I gather this is a snake and crocodile infested swamp out there ? any piranhas ?
Just turtles that don't bite and maybe some bullfrogs.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 04:02 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,736 Posts
Very lucky. Panama,
When I fly at our field, I know my quads only 150 feet away, just can't find it.
Art Newland is offline Find More Posts by Art Newland
Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:18 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,078 Posts
Quote:
I think you should consider reading something about North America's wildlife... Piranhas, pfft ! And crocs live mostly in Asia, south america and africa. In the US, they have gators. Both the hand bag and John Deer type

We are lucky enough in Canada not to have animals that want to eat us...except some grizzlys and cougars. At least they live near Glen, not me.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2012, 01:07 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
5,993 Posts
Quote:
I think you should consider reading something about North America's wildlife... Piranhas, pfft ! And crocs live mostly in Asia, south america and africa. In the US, they have gators. Both the hand bag and John Deer type

We are lucky enough in Canada not to have animals that want to eat us...except some grizzlys and cougars. At least they live near Glen, not me.
I definitely worry about you
I was just wondering why people seem reluctant to go and retrieve the model ...of course I cited tropical beasts here .... I know the real danger here are anacondas and the chance to catch a cold or seeing your private bits reduced to a microscopic specimen due to the freezing cold
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:58 AM
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
Quote:
I was just wondering why people seem reluctant to go and retrieve the model
The grass is as high as an elephant's eye. The grass grabs your legs and feet, and creates a real physical challange. It's very hot. Hyperthermia is a real possibility. Water could be waist deep. The searching person is difficult to see or cannot be seen from from the flying stations, which makes directing the searcher to the crash site very hard. The searcher is easier to track if he carries a 10 foot pole with a flag on top, which makes movement out there even harder. Most of our club members are retired people, and will probably die out there in the search process. The searcher must also carry a 2-way radio and water bottle as well as the pole and flag. (i heard someone was searching yesterday morning. I don't know what the results were).

These guys don't believe in lost plane alarms. (I should talk - I'm not using one now)

Here's a picture of a previous search. Searcher is using the 10 foot pole and flag approach.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:29 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,078 Posts
Duh ! I understand why the guy is not so happy to go search for it now.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:30 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,078 Posts
Quote:
I was just wondering why people seem reluctant to go and retrieve the model ...of course I cited tropical beasts here .... I know the real danger here are anacondas and the chance to catch a cold or seeing your private bits reduced to a microscopic specimen due to the freezing cold
Anacondas ??? I hate snakes !
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:32 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,955 Posts
Quote:
Duh ! I understand why the guy is not so happy to go search for it now.
An octocopter with some of those lifting tongs and a downfacing camera might do the trick..

As for the bears & other things that can eat you, I'll take those any time over snakes and poisonous creepy-crawlies. If somethings going to try and kill me I'd sooner have it big enough I can see it coming. Talking to a guy from Aus and he said he'd way sooner have the myriad of snakes & deadly spiders they deal with than the bears we have - I said not me!
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:09 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,078 Posts
Check at 4:57. Would you touch it ? I wouldn't even go on the same floor

Cayman Alligator As a Pet (7 min 38 sec)
RCG Plus Member