HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 03, 2012, 11:35 AM
Washougal, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
Supposed to be a high temperature of 65 deg.f. here today. Will summer ever come?
balsabuster2004 is offline Find More Posts by balsabuster2004
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2012, 11:39 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
Looks like you felt very comfortable flying it
Yes, not near as stressful flying around the trees as the quadrino, and waay easier than the Gaui FC. I think a lot of that is to do with the "mooshy" (for lack of a better word) response it has compared to the others, I'm thinking that with enough tweaking and maybe some expo the quadrino could be close to that. However the atti mode on the Naza certainly doesn't have the abrupt corrections the quadrino does in acc mode, and for sure is easier overall.

Very cool video CG! my next step is to get these quads in some wide open spaces and get the 5.8 gear on them..
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old Jul 03, 2012, 11:57 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,855 Posts
Quote:
my next step is to get these quads in some wide open spaces ..
This will help your flying a lot: More confidence, easy to find if you dump it, nothing to crash it on except grass...

DOSD is on the shop table with soldering gun...

Balsabuster, you should move in Washington DC, looks like its hell over there. They sent some Hydro Quebec and Hydro Ontario teams down there to help, looks like the electric lines suffered from the storms.
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:51 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Apr 2001
13,910 Posts
Gonna take more than that to fix Washington DC. 8^)

I brought the Askman quad down to the field last night to fly it LOS. It packs around a 3S-5000 with ease. 11 minute flight took 3900 mA out of the battery. 10 minute flight are likely with FPV gear on board.
Art Newland is offline Find More Posts by Art Newland
Old Jul 03, 2012, 02:06 PM
Winnipeg
Joined Feb 2002
5,865 Posts
So CG, fixed everything fixed up.
Decided I didn't want to give up on the TSII yet, didn't' help that I can't find a 168cm skywalker anywhere!!
So I redid the mounts as pictured below and it is a huge improvement.
I also had some issues with a 1.16 version of the ezosd firmware that was causing my ground station to have 25% bad packets from the gps on the plane.
One I reflashed down to 1.14 the packets are now at 100% good ones.
Here are the pics of the changes made on the TSII.
Love the tricopter video you did.
Thinking of either the rcexplorer tri or the flamewheel quad. thoughts?
Shadrack is offline Find More Posts by Shadrack
Old Jul 03, 2012, 02:14 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,855 Posts
Planning a trip to NYC in august. Anyone know a big hobbyshop worth visiting while in there ? Would like to go see the Intrepid museum, see the concorde and space shuttle (maybe a tile will fall and I can keep it as a souvenir ).

Shadrack, what glue did you use ? I mounted my motor on the SW about the same way, but used longer dowels to go in the foam. I used GG.

What are you planning to do with your multi ? Photos, film, flying acrobatics, do you want to carry it in a backpack to film remote areas ? All this will influence the frame and flight controller you want. Personnally, I'd go with a KK board to practice with a home made frame before commiting 200 + dollars on a stabilized FC. For easy to carry frame, the rcexplorer tri is the best, easy and cheap to do.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by carguy1994ca; Jul 03, 2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 02:45 PM
Winnipeg
Joined Feb 2002
5,865 Posts
I used my trusty glue gun. Love how the hot glue bonds to the foam. Have wound the motors up to full for a while and no vibration at all. Big improvement.
Want to use the multi for video, buildings, monuments, etc. Yes, carrying it would be nice too.
They have a setup where it is all built and ready to bind.
Shadrack is offline Find More Posts by Shadrack
Old Jul 03, 2012, 03:47 PM
United States, NJ, Fair Lawn
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
CG, I work in NYC. and I don't think I have seen one hobby shop in Manhattan. In Northern New Jersey, there are couple, and the biggest one is BP Hobbies, but it's 45 min to one hour drive from Manhattan.
The others are not bad, but still you need car to get to them from NYC. There might be some in Brooklyn, and Queens, but I have no experience with them.

August is hot and humid in NYC, be ready for a lot of sweating, lol.
pajonate is offline Find More Posts by pajonate
Old Jul 03, 2012, 04:25 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,855 Posts
Thanks pajo ! yea been told about the weather, but my vacation are first 2 weeks of august. Not taking the car, going by train, and will stay only 2 full days (3 nights).

Shadrack, be carefull with the hot glue holding motors, when its hot I've been told the glue soften and lose adhesion.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:52 PM
Washougal, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
Balsabuster, you should move in Washington DC, looks like its hell over there.
Been there. I'll stay in this Washington.
balsabuster2004 is offline Find More Posts by balsabuster2004
Old Jul 04, 2012, 01:48 PM
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
My Bluesky quad is back!!!

Now, this is weird, but as Art said, whatever works, we go with it.

What happened is that I had no yaw on my quad X. I put the props on my DIY Quad H, and I set the OpenPilot on it, and I did the default programming, and that one was having yaw, but not agile as I wanted it. Also, it was not stable as the X with the setting X had. Only difference was that the yaw mixer was on 50 and on the X it was 20.
I upped it to 75 and the yaw was much better.
That gave me an idea to try the same with my quad X. I upped it yaw mixer setting to 75, and voila, the quad yaws.
The weird part is that for 2-3 months I was flying the X with yaw mixer of 20, and suddenly it stopped.

I have to admit, is that I got a Bluetooth module, and I had to flush some software on my OP to use it as programmer to change the baud rate on the module from 9600 to 57600. But, after that I brought the original firmware back with all default settings. So there was no difference that I know of, from before. Also, I tried the X with another OP board that I have and that one was not flashed, but was not yawing the quad.
Now with the setting of 75 it seems all is back.

This one is for people who play with OP boards.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 01:49 PM
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Btw, happy 4th of july!!!!
Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:50 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,855 Posts
Quote:
Hey... what ever works. 8^)

A short video of the Askman quad with Arduino "UNO" flight controller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJNmU...ature=youtu.be
Anything special for it to fly since it is asymetric ?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:55 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenstr View Post
Here is my (daylight) maiden of the Naza FC on the Flamewheel frame, were it not for the massive jello this would be a super smooth platform even without gimbals for the camera. I only had one minor flip just before I strapped the gopro to the front of the frame, I'm wondering if I bent one prop slightly because after that I could hear one motor oscillating slightly that I couldn't hear before. If I have time tonight I'll fly the gopro again with the 8x3.8 APC props I have.

Video is blurry at times, I'm hoping it's because of the vibes and not my lens out of focus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rOsy...ature=youtu.be
Very stable ! Was this acro mode or stab. ? You got to go FPV man, with this FC it will be piece of cake
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2012, 11:02 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,855 Posts
Quote:
Wow ! Nice to see the dog work the sheep around ! How does he know where to bring the sheep ?
RCG Plus Member