HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 04, 2012, 09:08 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
I really like my fatsharks, but they are the base edition and IIRC you have the new version (predator or dominator). The first thing that struck me when I tried these is that i tought the image would be bigger. But the immersive feeling is the best for FPV. With a monitor I always feel less comfortable, less confidence and more easily distracted.

I think you will find flying FPV is easier with goggles, you can forget more easily about what surrounds you and concentrate more on the flying.
Yes I think you are correct, I just have to get used to the distortion from the FPV cam and compensate for objects being closer than they look. Even with the 540 fpv cam I have to keep that in mind a lot, and it's FOV is a lot narrower than the GoPro. I will make sure I have a spotter though, it's hard enough finding the plane looking up from a screen, even when I know where it is! Finding the plane (or quad) after taking goggles off would be a real challenge, especially with having to put glasses back on too.
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2012, 09:24 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,386 Posts
You can't remove goggles and find a plane, too dark in the goggles, too bright outside. If I may, I would suggest bringing your quad to a soccer field or similar and trying it out in the open. With a multi you can make small hops and put it down without breaking anything, this will help you adjust to the FOV and the flying qualities of the machine. Also, make sure you are ALONE. Having someone with you won't help. If you are scared of the FOV, make small hops, land, remove goggles and check where it is.

Your big slow plane would be good too if you have acces to a field large enough to stay over, but a plane goes higher/farther and easily lost. Personnally, I think the large FOV is an advantage because you feel you are far and go fast but in reality the machine is not going that far/that fast. As long as you don't go too high with the multi, you won't fear losing it (I find they are tought to get back down while keeping good control).

I think you best improvement would be to keep you away from looking at the monitor and the plane. You should, IMO, fly fully FPV or fully LOS. Not both, too much distraction trying to go from one reality to the other, too much stress. Goggles will help you achieve that.

Hope this helps
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by carguy1994ca; Jun 04, 2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 09:26 AM
Winnipeg
Joined Feb 2002
5,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenstr View Post

On another note, tried the fat sharks with the #2 diopter last night and they looked quite a bit clearer, but I was in my garage, not outside, but I am still hopeful they will be good enough. Not 100% impressed with them though, the video plug needs to be pulled out a tad or there is no signal and it's a known issue. For the price of them one would think QC would be a little higher..
I glued a small o ring (or small plastic spacer like you get with apc props) over the plug that goes into the fatsharks and it works perfectly. Stops you from pushing in the plug all the way.
Shadrack is offline Find More Posts by Shadrack
Old Jun 04, 2012, 09:45 AM
Winnipeg
Joined Feb 2002
5,679 Posts
Quote:
You can't remove goggles and find a plane, too dark in the goggles, too bright outside. If I may, I would suggest bringing your quad to a soccer field or similar and trying it out in the open. With a multi you can make small hops and put it down without breaking anything, this will help you adjust to the FOV and the flying qualities of the machine.
I used to have that problem. Now with the FY31 when I run RTH, it circles overhead when it gets home. Having a tracking station, I just look at where the barrel of the helical antenna is pointing and there is my plane.
Hated going from dark to light.
Shadrack is offline Find More Posts by Shadrack
Old Jun 04, 2012, 09:48 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,386 Posts
Nice solution. But on the video tread, one had its GPS freeze, GS antenna stop tracking, brown pants moment ! I prefer to keep it simple, for me a tracker would be source for stress. They are amazing to see at work though.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2012, 12:56 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,386 Posts
Hey Glen, if you really want to fly with a screen, do it the right way

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=9045
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2012, 12:59 PM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Nov 2004
665 Posts
LOS vs FPV

Quote:
You can't remove goggles and find a plane, too dark in the goggles, too bright outside. If I may, I would suggest bringing your quad to a soccer field or similar and trying it out in the open. With a multi you can make small hops and put it down without breaking anything, this will help you adjust to the FOV and the flying qualities of the machine. Also, make sure you are ALONE. Having someone with you won't help. If you are scared of the FOV, make small hops, land, remove goggles and check where it is.

Your big slow plane would be good too if you have acces to a field large enough to stay over, but a plane goes higher/farther and easily lost. Personnally, I think the large FOV is an advantage because you feel you are far and go fast but in reality the machine is not going that far/that fast. As long as you don't go too high with the multi, you won't fear losing it (I find they are tought to get back down while keeping good control).

I think you best improvement would be to keep you away from looking at the monitor and the plane. You should, IMO, fly fully FPV or fully LOS. Not both, too much distraction trying to go from one reality to the other, too much stress. Goggles will help you achieve that.

Hope this helps
Sometimes i trim my plane while flying FPV by looking out of the haier to the area where i know where the plane is and easily find the plane....HOWEVER....I am very familiar with my flying area and have no trouble finding it. The haier permits this switch since it is not totally dark in there and the eye accomodation is fast. For most people, it is best to go totally LOS or totally FPV to avoid trying to switch out of yhe box. Dont have goggles, buy i imagine it would be very difficult to switch out of the goggs...
pkfoamer is offline Find More Posts by pkfoamer
Old Jun 04, 2012, 01:28 PM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkfoamer View Post
Sometimes i trim my plane while flying FPV by looking out of the haier to the area where i know where the plane is and easily find the plane....HOWEVER....I am very familiar with my flying area and have no trouble finding it. The haier permits this switch since it is not totally dark in there and the eye accomodation is fast. For most people, it is best to go totally LOS or totally FPV to avoid trying to switch out of yhe box. Dont have goggles, buy i imagine it would be very difficult to switch out of the goggs...
I don't use a shade box around my haier, usually just stick the 7" on my GS in the shade of my truck and, and the 10" I'll put on the tailgate or just inside the box, which is also shaded because I have a canopy on it. That allows me to walk around a bit and watch screens while more or less keeping the plane in front of me. Still though, when it's 1500+ feet out it's hard to see, even when I know pretty well exactly where it is, but I should put some monokote or some paint on the wings at least, the flytron strobe really lets you know where it is usually though, when I turn it on.

I do want start flying fully immersed via goggles though, especially the heli. Starting in a big field like CG says sounds like the way to go, around my yard there is too many trees and it's too easy to hit them even when there is clear flying in front of you.

CG - I've often thought about that, using my 50" plasma for fpv would be awesome, but I don't think my wife would appreciate me moving it to the garage..
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Last edited by Glenstr; Jun 04, 2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 01:58 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,841 Posts
Quote:
Hey Glen, if you really want to fly with a screen, do it the right way

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=9045
That is pretty darn cool. If I had more room around my place I'd have to give it a try.

By the looks of the antenna, he must be using a LRS. But the transmitter looks like a $30 FlySky.
Art Newland is online now Find More Posts by Art Newland
Old Jun 04, 2012, 01:58 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,386 Posts
Quote:
...but I don't think my wife would appreciate me moving it to the garage..
You have to understand her, she must fear a parking accident
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2012, 01:59 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,841 Posts
Just buy a 60 inch TV to replace it with.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 02:01 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,841 Posts
Hey Glen, how about contact lens'? I contemplated them before I got the Ski goggle mod.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 02:18 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,841 Posts
My 5.8G transmitter. Arrived, time to make another. Antenna.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 02:35 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
My 5.8G transmitter. Arrived, time to make another. Antenna.
Looks as small as my 200 mW 900 mHz Vtx. What power does it have, and what distance you think it can do ? Also, how is your experience with fying near/behind objects like tress with this ?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2012, 02:40 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,841 Posts
Quote:
Looks as small as my 200 mW 900 mHz Vtx. What power does it have, and what distance you think it can do ? Also, how is your experience with fying near/behind objects like tress with this ?
It is a 200 mW, as for the other questions... TBA.

BTW, your last video was really good. You TRI appears to be flying very well and picture looks great.