HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2010, 11:51 AM
KB3VOJ
USA
Joined Sep 2007
2,591 Posts
Hey Art, I don't want to clog this thread with a bunch of other plane posts, but if anyone is interested I have started to build an FPV flying wing (Grim Reaper) using the BB HD camera. It is about half the price of the Ritewing Zypher but it looks to me to provide almost the same performance. It was originally designed for RC combat, but several people have already modified for FPV with great sucess. Only $90 including shipping for the kit. Here is my post with pics if anyone wants to periodically check that thread. I just thought I would share, since this thread has become such a great thread for all kinds of beginner information.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=383
cherokee180c is offline Find More Posts by cherokee180c
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2010, 01:31 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,458 Posts
Nice cherokee. I'll check your progress if you post them there or here. Like to see what others are building and ideas they come up with.
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2010, 02:06 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsabuster2004 View Post
Looks like I have some work to do in here!
Heck Chuck, you have room for lots more wires... good thing you have a big plane!
Art Newland is offline Find More Posts by Art Newland
Old Dec 14, 2010, 02:08 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike8 View Post
That is pretty cool, just remember you want something stable. You'll have plenty to do, don't need something difficult to fly.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 02:10 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
Art,

something you could try maybe since you have 2 system ? I heard some people use a low watt FPV Rx and TX to transmit the image from the ground station to the goggles. That way, I could buy a low watt Fatshark system on 5.8 Ghz and use it as a repeater and have no wires going to the GS. For a little more than stand alone goggles, I'd also hve another system for a small plane.

Only thing I wonder: Is there a lot of degradation in signal quality going from the frst Rx to the other one ?
I have the 5.8G tx & rx from range video that I hope to try that with... somday.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 02:11 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmonster99 View Post
I have been accepted too ! They said they wanted 10 beta testers. I cant believe I have been lucky.
I hope this is not a hoax, you know what they say, if it sounds too good to be true maybe it is because it's not true

I checked their website, and seem genuine enough.
EMS postage cost $17 I wonder if it covers postage and cost of the goods.

Only history will tell. If I get it and it works I am going to write a hell of a review
Boy, we are going to be head-tracking all over the place. Wonder who'll get theirs first???
Last edited by Art Newland; Dec 14, 2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 02:16 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee180c View Post
Hey Art, I don't want to clog this thread with a bunch of other plane posts, but if anyone is interested I have started to build an FPV flying wing (Grim Reaper) using the BB HD camera. It is about half the price of the Ritewing Zypher but it looks to me to provide almost the same performance. It was originally designed for RC combat, but several people have already modified for FPV with great sucess. Only $90 including shipping for the kit. Here is my post with pics if anyone wants to periodically check that thread. I just thought I would share, since this thread has become such a great thread for all kinds of beginner information.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=383
Are you going to have a thread of your own?

What's the story on the "BB" camera?
Old Dec 14, 2010, 05:22 PM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,502 Posts
4 stroke and fpv don't go well for me

I experimented with a 82 saito, and 125 saito and had not the best results

91 surpass however seems smoother than those

46ax 2 stroke rocks for fpv
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsabuster2004 View Post
CMOS = BAD (wavy)
CCD = Good

(also - CMOS cameras look really bad looking through a propeller)

Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrD1MlZXFpQ
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 14, 2010, 05:41 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,458 Posts
No more glow for me, I am all electric, no vibrations, only good vibes...

Art,

for head tracking I heard it is only futaba radio that works, is it the case ? I believe head trackers plug in the trainer port on the radio and they are made to fit Futabas ? Is that what you have ?

Will be happy to see how ot works. Also happy I found this tread, like I guess the 15 000 others
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2010, 08:14 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,855 Posts
No glow for me either. Don't need the vibration or slime. Don't need cylinder heads and mufflers sticking out of a nice cowling either.

Carguy, I really don't know anything about headtracking, hope to find out though. Really sounds like a cool option coupled with the goggles. Glad you are aboard the noob train. I'm sure you will have a lot to contribute to the learning curve.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 08:27 PM
KB3VOJ
USA
Joined Sep 2007
2,591 Posts
The Grim Reaper has it's own dedicated thread, which is where I am going to post updates and additional questions as they come up. The link above in my post is a link to my single post, but you can just click on the thread to check. I will post periodic links as anything interesting comes up.

The Black Box Camera is a cheap HD GoPro want to be that only costs $85. The HD that stores on an SD card much better than any normal SD video, but a bit short of the GP quality. What I really like is that is that it is 1/3 the cost of the GP and the quality of the real time 640x480 NTSC feed is better than most cams although you have to put up with a red recording dot and time stamp on the screen. The picture is a bit overexposed, which really lightens up the ground for a very practical picture. Here is a link to the thread on the camera and also a sample of the live feed.

Camera thread

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1310870

Sample Real Time Video (Very Windy Day and I had not solved a lot of the video interference issues yet)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CISpGIQJiWY

Sample HD Video (very short flight, LOL and OH yea, it is one tough camera)
Taking Off in Menu is Not Good (0 min 39 sec)
Old Dec 14, 2010, 08:34 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,855 Posts
that does look good, please keep us updated on the wing project. How do you hand launch the thing without getting you fingers in the prop?
Old Dec 14, 2010, 08:36 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,855 Posts
Looks like the headtracker has a couple cables, and they do look like buddybox cables. Wonder if you can use it and buddybox at the same time?
Old Dec 14, 2010, 08:53 PM
KB3VOJ
USA
Joined Sep 2007
2,591 Posts
They recommend resting on the wingtip pointed down while holding the other wing tip, go to full throttle and then tilt up, and then accelerate quickly with a slight frisbee like motion. Others simply toss hard with the thottle full off and then thottle up as soon as you can reach the radio after it leaves your hand. It doesn't seem to be a big problem.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 12:09 AM
USA, TN, Fayetteville
Joined Dec 2004
878 Posts
Art it looks like your needed over in the free headtracker thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEORC View Post
Mr.Art Newland and Mr.Tyler Landers
Please email me your telephone number,your email missed it

Please ASAP

Hu
madmike8 is offline Find More Posts by madmike8