HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2010, 11:49 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
11,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
looks like your gear is really working well... nice colors and resolution.
What do you use to edit your videos?
Looks great until I go outside with a plane and my DX7...then who knows ? Picture I see on TV is even better. I filmed the TV with my canon again. I'd like to have a digital recorder like this. I use Corell video studio. Works nice but doing video with vista is a pain, sometimes BANG ! Need to restart the program, so I save every clip I add or mod I make...can't believe he became billionnaire selling such crappy software you know who, don't you ?
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2010, 01:13 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,460 Posts
Yes, I believe he lives somewhere in between you and I.

Well, I guess you never know until you try, does add to the pucker factor somewhat! I thought about adding a RC controllable power switch to the video power, in case it did something nasty to my RC signal, never did though. I looked long and hard at the pinnacle video transfer also, I think that's what trappy uses. Watched a couple on ebay but became too expensive.

I believe the SlowStick is ready to maiden. Finally mounted the antenna out on the wing, I'll have to disconnect the coax to dis-assemble the plane, but that shouldn't be a big deal. I'm using a Berg receiver in it, haven't really heard of anyone using them for FPV, maybe there is a good reason! Seems rock solid... but again, the proof is in the pudding.

Slow Stick FPV All assembled testing (1 min 24 sec)
Art Newland is online now Find More Posts by Art Newland
Old Dec 12, 2010, 11:07 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,460 Posts
HP battery took 800 mA, and the splitter took 200 after 50 minutes... should be fine for 1.5 hours of use.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 12:30 PM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,913 Posts
wow that looks great, I can't believe you're using a gearbox... (no problem) just with the availability of out runner's these days... and the prop! The prop is weak (in my experience)

Man I envy you, you've come a long way and now you have a finished product...
Well done
GreenAce92 is offline Find More Posts by GreenAce92
Old Dec 12, 2010, 12:40 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
5,867 Posts
Hey Art... That knee of yours is a danger to FPV have you got a titanium replacement joint or what ?

The amount of static it generates is awesome
rcmonster99 is online now Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Dec 12, 2010, 02:26 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAce92 View Post
wow that looks great, I can't believe you're using a gearbox... (no problem) just with the availability of out runner's these days... and the prop! The prop is weak (in my experience)

Man I envy you, you've come a long way and now you have a finished product...
Well done
The reason for the gearbox is simple, the SS came with it, and I had the inrunner from an old ducted fan project... just using what I have on hand. Yes those slow fly props are weak, but they make a lot of thrust at low RPM, just what I want for this plane.

No doubt I have learned a lot, and it's been fun and frustrating, I’m sure some of the FPV pros look at what I’m doing and just shake their heads, but you don’t have to break long distance records to have some fun.

The rain has let up today, but not the wind, so no slowstick flying today.

We’ll save the “well done” after we see how it works! 8^)
Old Dec 12, 2010, 02:28 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmonster99 View Post
Hey Art... That knee of yours is a danger to FPV have you got a titanium replacement joint or what ?

The amount of static it generates is awesome
I've worked around electricity so long. I probably have my own EMF!
Old Dec 12, 2010, 03:32 PM
KB3VOJ
USA
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
Hey Art. Stuff is really looking good. I have had global meeting all week including last Sunday, but I finally got to fly my EZ* yesterday. It was a bit overcast, but no wind at all and it warmed up to the low 40's. I set my all time 72mHz distance record at 10,100'. I forgot to check the winds after climbing up higher to get out that far though and only barely made it back. I thought I was going to need to put it down in a field nearby. When I turned around I had used 1900mAh of my available 2200mAh but I was only doing 4mph into a headwind. I set up for pulling only 1A and luckily the winds droped back down as my altitude dropped. I made it all the way back with 100mAh to spare. I hope to post a video soon. I am sitting at home right now building a new Grim Reaper FPV flying wing that I plan to put 2x2650mAh 3S cells in for long distance flying. Can't wait for my DragonLink to arrive for Christmas.
cherokee180c is offline Find More Posts by cherokee180c
Old Dec 12, 2010, 03:36 PM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,913 Posts
Ha don't worry about "the pro's" as long as you're having fun
GreenAce92 is offline Find More Posts by GreenAce92
Old Dec 12, 2010, 03:40 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee180c View Post
Hey Art. Stuff is really looking good. I have had global meeting all week including last Sunday, but I finally got to fly my EZ* yesterday. It was a bit overcast, but no wind at all and it warmed up to the low 40's. I set my all time 72mHz distance record at 10,100'. I forgot to check the winds after climbing up higher to get out that far though and only barely made it back. I thought I was going to need to put it down in a field nearby. When I turned around I had used 1900mAh of my available 2200mAh but I was only doing 4mph into a headwind. I set up for pulling only 1A and luckily the winds droped back down as my altitude dropped. I made it all the way back with 100mAh to spare. I hope to post a video soon. I am sitting at home right now building a new Grim Reaper FPV flying wing that I plan to put 2x2650mAh 3S cells in for long distance flying. Can't wait for my DragonLink to arrive for Christmas.
Bet your heart was thumping!
How big is the wing?
Old Dec 12, 2010, 04:14 PM
KB3VOJ
USA
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
It is the standard EZ* wing at I believe around 54". It glides pretty well though. At 1A, I was only losing about 200ft/minute. I was getting a little nervous as I figured I might lose video at around 400' if I had to put it down in a field. I figured I would lower it down as low as possible at the beginning of the field before I lost video and then I would just set up for a power off glide with the AutoPilot still on with throttle off which should keep the wings perfectly level heading right back toward the field. I always flight plan to use only 80% of the battery, so I could have flown probably upto around 2500mAh as it is a 2650mAh battery. I posted about this in another thread as some experienced guys were trying to tell people to flight plan down to Low Voltage Cutoff, which is rediculous. It did get my attention though as 2 miles on 300mAh looked to be pretty big challenge.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 04:22 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,743 Posts
Art, I can't wait to see your video flying the Slow Stick. Looks really good.
Qrome is offline Find More Posts by Qrome
Old Dec 12, 2010, 04:23 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
5,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee180c View Post
It is the standard EZ* wing at I believe around 54". It glides pretty well though. At 1A, I was only losing about 200ft/minute. I was getting a little nervous as I figured I might lose video at around 400' if I had to put it down in a field. I figured I would lower it down as low as possible at the beginning of the field before I lost video and then I would just set up for a power off glide with the AutoPilot still on with throttle off which should keep the wings perfectly level heading right back toward the field. I always flight plan to use only 80% of the battery, so I could have flown probably upto around 2500mAh as it is a 2650mAh battery. I posted about this in another thread as some experienced guys were trying to tell people to flight plan down to Low Voltage Cutoff, which is rediculous. It did get my attention though as 2 miles on 300mAh looked to be pretty big challenge.
I had a similar experience. this was the first time I realised winds aloft are different than surface winds. I nearly didn't make it back home. It was an easy star with easy glider wings
Nearly gone.wmv (9 min 34 sec)
rcmonster99 is online now Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Dec 12, 2010, 04:36 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
11,388 Posts
Art I like your SS. Nice tough landing gear ! We went to the gym today and the one we fly in is small and we were talking about slow planes that would fly easily in there. That kind of plane would be nice.

I like the way you progress, don't care about the top dogs, they had to learn too

Found that there is a problem with the DVD player input circuit: I plugged in another DVD and got the same kinf of image. Dissassembled it and may have found a wire for video and power that go to the screen. Will try that, maybe that wire could carry my video signal to the screen ?

Please post back about the SS maiden (with video!)

Carguy
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2010, 04:48 PM
KB3VOJ
USA
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
Yea, I know better than that, as I am a pilot. I usually test the winds aloft before going for it, by turning back toward home and checking the ground speed. I never really planned to go for it, but since I was already out so far, I just decided on a whim to push it further. Funny thing is 400' lower, there were almost no winds, and 400' higher, they was almost a 20mph headwind. That is what saved me as my ground speed picked up fine after losing a bit of altitude.