HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2010, 10:53 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,321 Posts
I like this low budget approach. Never tought there would be so many items like the mini dv or the cyclops OSd that could be bought at those prices.

When buying ferrite rings or toro´ds, is there anything specific to look for, or are they all the same but size ? Also, what is the difference between a toroid and a ferrite ring ?

Carguy
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2010, 11:25 AM
KB3VOJ
USA
Joined Sep 2007
2,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
This one is a DCR-HC30, pretty sure the 32 and 36 also have AV inputs. I looked at a bunch, may have them mixed up. Sony has a lot of miniDVs that have inputs. There website has owners manuals in PDF form, open them up and search for "DUB". It will say recording from a TV or DVD. I haven't been able to test moving the video to my computer yet. It has USB cable, but looks like you can only move files from the memory card with it. It has a IEEE firewire port, I'll have to pick up a cable to try it. I bought this for less than $70.
If you have firewire on your PC, that is the easiest and best way to transfer. You have a lot less losses and Window Movie Maker can control the miniDV player so you can pause and start the capture right through the software. My old PC had firewire, but my new laptop does not.

Carguy, I believe toroid and ferrite ring are just two different names for the same thing. There is a range of frequencies that a given ferrite ring is good for, but the best way to buy is in bulk from an FPV site with good prices, so it is the right one and cheap. They are available here for $0.79 each. My local electronics place charges $2.50 each for these suckas and I think you can get in bulk even much less. http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/product.p...5&cat=0&page=1

Lastly some of you were following my ground station system with the new Cercom Technology Diversity controller. Here is a post with the details and some video from the system if you are interested.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=245
cherokee180c is offline Find More Posts by cherokee180c
Last edited by cherokee180c; Dec 02, 2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old Dec 02, 2010, 12:15 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,321 Posts
Nice site this DPC AV store. Lots of stuff that you see DIY in the forums. Good for guy like me that can mess an electronic board just looking at it

Has any of you had problems with amounts put on your credit card that you didn't autorized (you didn't buy what is charged on your card?) I wanted to order my FPV stuff this week but had to cancel my card because of that. 3 rd time in a year . I hate this. I will use paypal from now on...my new card will be here next weak.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2010, 02:17 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,832 Posts
I always do paypal even if I use a CC.

Nice job Cherokee, don't know how you could ask for more than that.

I've had no luck using torriods, even beem worse in some cases.
I do have a large one (like on a monitor cord) over the line in from my camera.
Art Newland is online now Find More Posts by Art Newland
Old Dec 02, 2010, 02:19 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,321 Posts
Sorry it is off topic, but are there any fee using paypal ( just to buy ) ?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2010, 02:23 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,832 Posts
not usually, some guys charge you 3% if using PP.
Old Dec 02, 2010, 07:44 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,321 Posts
better than having your card hacked
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2010, 08:34 PM
KB3VOJ
USA
Joined Sep 2007
2,591 Posts
The only problem I ever had with a card has been from using it physically at restaurants. Any idiot working at a restaurant with a camera phone can snap a picture front and back of your card in a few seconds and they have everything including the CCD #. It's only happened to me once though. My DAD has charges show up in California 10 minutes after we ate at a local Mexican restaurant where we had to bug the waiter like 3 times to give us our card back. Never eating there anymore and I told all my neighbors who avoid the place like the plague. I use PayPal all the time as well online. Here is one secret though if you want to protect yourself a bit more. I link it to an isolated internet checking account with NO OVERDRAFT protection, so I only transfer money into the account that I want to use. There is never anymore than $30 in the account so even if they ever hacked my Paypal account they are not getting anything.
cherokee180c is offline Find More Posts by cherokee180c
Old Dec 02, 2010, 08:34 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,832 Posts
some video captured on the camcorder;
MINIdv TEST HD (0 min 51 sec)
Old Dec 03, 2010, 07:54 PM
USA, TN, Fayetteville
Joined Dec 2004
878 Posts
I ordered the HK 900mhz 200mw today. The way I see it is, I'm not really interested in range... I just want the experience of flying fpv. So, I figure that ought to get me started. I'll get the IBC Inverted V, and build his patch panel. I will start with the stock HK camera to begin with, if it's not completely trash... If so, then I will get the KX-161 from CCTVOHIO... Hopefully that will give me a good start on my Slowstick.

So as of right now this is what I have...

Headplay Goggles
HK 900mhz 200mw (ordered)
Aiptek MPVR+CB
Slow Stick

Need
IBC Inverted V
IBC Patch

Anything else?
madmike8 is offline Find More Posts by madmike8
Old Dec 03, 2010, 08:40 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,832 Posts
If you are going to power the video Tx from your motor battery, you'll need parts to make the Sander LC filter. The HK receiver has a "F" style fitting for the antenna (assuming yours will be like mine), I bought F to SMA female adapters so I could use SMA fittings on my antennas.

I'm working on my SS tonight, built my V antenna and am working on component placement. So far I haven't had any servo twitching.

I'm trying to build the V as light as I think I can get away with, gonna mount it up front like cherokee did.
Old Dec 03, 2010, 10:25 PM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2001
1,292 Posts
For a quick reference I've been playing with the 200mw system using a DIY inverted vee antenna (hacked from an assan 2.4ghz antenna extension cable ...) and the stock receiver antenna. I elevate the receiver ~12 feet on an extending pole and so far I've gone a little more than 750m (~2500 ft) w/o any video issues at all (aside from directly overhead of the reciever which I did once to try it out <g>). I don't know how far one can get with the stock setup but I think it is far enough to get your feet wet with a parkflyer
Mikey-flies is offline Find More Posts by Mikey-flies
Old Dec 03, 2010, 10:42 PM
USA, TN, Fayetteville
Joined Dec 2004
878 Posts
Thanks Mikey.. that's good news... I ordered IBC's inverted Vee... I might hold off on the patch then. I can LOS the whole area I fly in, so I will test it LOS first... If no problems with reception I'll them move to FPV training...
madmike8 is offline Find More Posts by madmike8
Old Dec 03, 2010, 11:14 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,832 Posts
My plan is to have a diversity antenna setup, probably have a patch and one of IBC's ground planes. I bought one of Range Video's RSSI style diversity switchers, another winter project. 8^)
Old Dec 04, 2010, 02:31 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,832 Posts
Stuff from Range Video was delievered quickly, RSSI diversity for $22, such a deal. Bought the 5.8G mini transmitter and receiver too.
Would eventually like to "liberate" the HP liberator of wiring... put that project into the que. Man that transmitter is tiny!