HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2011, 08:34 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Apr 2001
13,976 Posts
can't think of anyone off the top of my head, I gave some radio gear to a guy in Muncie with the AMA that helps kids get started in the hobby that can't afford it, I'll see if I can find out his name again.

I think I figured out my ACC wiring, hooked it up it seemed to work of a few seconds then lockup, I'm probably not defining things properly in the firmware. Any chance you could post the sketch loaded on your board now?
Art Newland is offline Find More Posts by Art Newland
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:53 PM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,966 Posts
Yet more practice, slowly getting the hang of this quad - the major thing, like all RC flying I guess, is to stay calm and not over react - harder than it sounds!

These quads are addicting, especially since I can grab it, stick a battery and camera on it and walk out the door and fly, not like my plane.

Anyway, here is another video, with my better 1/2 making an appearance at the end - you can show this to your wives guys and say "see!" ..

enjoy!

more practice (4 min 57 sec)
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:45 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsabuster2004 View Post
After looking at all this stuff, I think I'll go back to rubber band powered airplanes. I think I understand how those things work.
May not revert back as much as rubber band, but I'm with you on this ! That's more programming than flying ! I think I'll enjoy the regular plane projects for a while.

Still have to try that OSD though And make a bi quad.

Glen, I was telling me" No. she didn't say that !" yep, was too good to be true. But you did learn well about telling her RC is cheap. Hope you don't have cabinets with glass doors like I have in my shop...I get busted by the numbers when she sees all that stuff
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:23 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
May not revert back as much as rubber band, but I'm with you on this ! That's more programming than flying ! I think I'll enjoy the regular plane projects for a while.

Still have to try that OSD though And make a bi quad.

Glen, I was telling me" No. she didn't say that !" yep, was too good to be true. But you did learn well about telling her RC is cheap. Hope you don't have cabinets with glass doors like I have in my shop...I get busted by the numbers when she sees all that stuff
CG - I try to keep them in different locations, then when she see's me with one and asks where I got it, I just say "I've had this for a long time" - didn't work with the Stryker though - it doesn't have a lot in common with my 80" AP plane..
Old Oct 20, 2011, 05:26 AM
Oklahoma City
Joined May 2004
1,682 Posts
Nice video Glen. You seem to have the vibrations under control. I like your dialog at the end.
MorrisM is offline Find More Posts by MorrisM
Old Oct 20, 2011, 05:49 AM
Fort Worth Tx
Joined Nov 2010
414 Posts
[QUOTE=Glenstr;19642181]CG - I try to keep them in different locations, then when she see's me with one and asks where I got it, I just say "I've had this for a long time"QUOTE]

That's a pretty good strategy, at least it works for her when she gets a new pair of shoes. A long time in that instance is the time it takes her to walk from the mail box to her closet. I know though, I saw the shoe box in the trash...

I keep the entrance to my "man cave" treacherous so she almost never comes to call, and NEVER when I'm not there. We also keep seperate accounts so the information is never at her fingertips to peruse. Helps to keep the tensions low, after all just making this stuff work then honing my skills so I don't cost me too much is stress enough.
Rotorshake is offline Find More Posts by Rotorshake
Old Oct 20, 2011, 05:59 AM
Fort Worth Tx
Joined Nov 2010
414 Posts
On a separate note... T 28 crash, I finally got my wing back out of the tree (or mother nature did anyway, we had a bad storm and it was in the grass just below the captivating tree).

The wing is still in useable condition, only a couple of bruises and the fromt mounting boss stayed attached to the fuselage and ripped the foam away.

My question is, what glue to use on the foam to re-attach the fromt mounting boss back to the wing?

http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ5080
Old Oct 20, 2011, 06:21 AM
Oklahoma City
Joined May 2004
1,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
Any chance you could post the sketch loaded on your board now?
Art, I comment out everything that isn't needed to make it fly when I first set one up. And when using WM+ and Nunchuk, no sensors need to be selected.
If you want, I'll email you my config.h -- PM me your email address
MorrisM is offline Find More Posts by MorrisM
Old Oct 20, 2011, 06:59 AM
United States, WI, Eau Claire
Joined May 2011
1,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorshake View Post
On a separate note... T 28 crash, I finally got my wing back out of the tree (or mother nature did anyway, we had a bad storm and it was in the grass just below the captivating tree).

The wing is still in useable condition, only a couple of bruises and the fromt mounting boss stayed attached to the fuselage and ripped the foam away.

My question is, what glue to use on the foam to re-attach the fromt mounting boss back to the wing?

http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ5080
I'd use a combination of white Gorilla PU glue and some thin CA wicked around the edges the PU after it hardens. It's worked well for me in the past. Just be aware that PU stuff expands when the water activates it, so make sure you clamp the parts together while it dries.
banzi28 is offline Find More Posts by banzi28
Old Oct 20, 2011, 09:28 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisM View Post
Nice video Glen. You seem to have the vibrations under control. I like your dialog at the end.
Thanks Morris - I balanced the other set of props I had and put them on, the first set were getting pretty nicked up, so that helped I think. I have to play with my radio now and set up some expo etc., especially on the rudder. I have a 9CHP so I'm thinking I should have a lot of options for setup, dual rates etc., but I have never played around with any of that.

I've also not tried to tweak the gain on this quad, I notice on occasion I will get a weird wobble so maybe there is some experimenting I can do there too. I've heard others replace the Gaui GU-344 gyro on these with the FY-90Q Pro Quad Gyro/Stabilizer and are real pleased with them, but so far I have nothing to complain about with the GU-344
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:07 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,976 Posts
What's the matter with you guys? You don't think soldering all day under a magnifing lens on something that might not work is fun??

GLEN!! you make me want to throw all my multi stuff in the bin and buy a Gaui!!

Thanks Morris.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:10 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by banzi28 View Post
I'd use a combination of white Gorilla PU glue and some thin CA wicked around the edges the PU after it hardens. It's worked well for me in the past. Just be aware that PU stuff expands when the water activates it, so make sure you clamp the parts together while it dries.
Make sure you use foam safe CA with foam safe activator though, unless the foam can take the regular CA but this must be specified or the A will eat the foam. I am experimenting with gorilla glue and like it, but as banzi said, don't use too much or it will expand outside the joint. It can be eaily cut away though and it is sandable. A lot of FPVer I've seen work with this glue on their foam plane.

I find CA and activator quick and good for foamies in the gym where time is of the essence if you want to keep flying, but on bigger airplane it becomes messy and it becomes brittle on large surfaces where lots of activator is used. This is the reason I think GG does a better job.
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:14 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenstr View Post
CG - I try to keep them in different locations, then when she see's me with one and asks where I got it, I just say "I've had this for a long time" - didn't work with the Stryker though - it doesn't have a lot in common with my 80" AP plane..
It's easy, I have a RC budget, I buy all with a visa card, I don't spend more than that, the wifes pays the visa bill, doesnt care what I buy. I've got more stuff than I'll ever get to anyway.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:19 AM
Fort Worth Tx
Joined Nov 2010
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
It's easy, I have a RC budget, I buy all with a visa card, I don't spend more than that, the wifes pays the visa bill, doesnt care what I buy. I've got more stuff than I'll ever get to anyway.
Then RMRC comes up with the pico cam that would fit in my T28's pilot helmet...
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:27 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
Make sure you use foam safe CA with foam safe activator though, unless the foam can take the regular CA but this must be specified or the A will eat the foam. I am experimenting with gorilla glue and like it, but as banzi said, don't use too much or it will expand outside the joint. It can be eaily cut away though and it is sandable. A lot of FPVer I've seen work with this glue on their foam plane.

I find CA and activator quick and good for foamies in the gym where time is of the essence if you want to keep flying, but on bigger airplane it becomes messy and it becomes brittle on large surfaces where lots of activator is used. This is the reason I think GG does a better job.
my big 80" AP bird is all GG, except the carbon strips on the TE on the wing and LE on the stab, which is canopy glue. I use the white drying stuff though, faster drying and dries white. The only place I can find it other than online though is the big Michaels craft supplies stores - everyone carries the brown stuff though.

Art - the Gaui was just so I could start getting stick time asap, I plan on building a multi-wii at some point, but I'll likely just go the plug and play route with one of the boards from hoverthings.com, I envy guys like you that can get right into the innards of these things and/or build almost from scratch!