HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 28, 2011, 09:59 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,462 Posts
Well, when you get a chance, send it to me, I'll fix it and send it back! Probably a shorted phase or magnets in the wrong sequence.
Art Newland is offline Find More Posts by Art Newland
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:12 AM
Specializing in RC since 1972
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
I tried the same motor on another esc and the esc with another motor. Esc works, motor doesn't start, just jerk. Bullet conn. are stiff. I may have heated the motor too much when soldering the bullet connectors. I'm not a very good at soldering, I do it by necessity, although I try to be good, results may vary .
If the motor is brand new (always did this) and you soldered the bullets, and you suspect your soldering, it could very well be a bad solder joint.

There should be electrical continuity from any motor lead to the other two. If you find one that doesn't have continuity with the others, then try resoldering that bullet.

Continuity can be tested with a battery, a light bulb that works with that battery, and a piece of wire. Battery to wire in one hand, wire to bulb in the other hand, and touch "other" battery terminal to one motor lead and "other" bulb terminal to another motor wire. Touch these "other" connections together to test that the bulb lights.

Cliff
theothercliff is offline Find More Posts by theothercliff
Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:15 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
11,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
Well, when you get a chance, send it to me, I'll fix it and send it back! Probably a shorted phase or magnets in the wrong sequence.
I ship, you keep. In exchange, just make a small vid or tutorial or pics on how you repaired it. Always good to learn !

Video of tricopter uploading now on YT. I had some vibrations. I tought it was running smooth, but sound on flycam suggest resonnance, maybe the props are of center since I had to drill them out. Also, the prop saver with o-ring may not be well balanced. I think I'll order some gaui prop adapters for the gaui props I should receive this week. The GWS prop I have now will do for practicing though.

EDIT: Cliff, thanks for the tip. Motor is already in the box ready to ship, so I'll do that next time. Art can tell me if it is my solder that's the problem.
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by carguy1994ca; Aug 28, 2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 12:31 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
11,393 Posts
Tricopter video

Tricopter 1st flights (5 min 59 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2011, 01:47 PM
Oklahoma City
Joined May 2004
1,636 Posts
Carguy, Well done. Nice flying. Good looking tricopter. Wonderful flying field.
MorrisM is offline Find More Posts by MorrisM
Old Aug 28, 2011, 02:44 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,462 Posts
Yea, what Morris said! 8^)
What's your impressions so far?
Last edited by Art Newland; Aug 28, 2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 04:37 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
11,393 Posts
Like it a lot, it is very stable, more than a heli. It is also harder to fly, because it kind of wants to go back in a hover. With a little more travel on ailerons and elevator, it was a bit more agile. I'll keep it like this to practice LOS and FPV then will play more with travel adjust and gyro gain. It is really fun and saw some interest by other members.

No flying today, we are having the rest of Irene storm and should get about 4 inches of water and up to 60 MPH winds. It is real bad outside, but not as much as they had in the US. Very rare we get storms like that here. Still have power, wondering for how long...
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2011, 08:22 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
11,393 Posts
Warning: Not on tread subject !

I tought you'd like to see that although it is not FPV, there is not even a camera on board (how did I forget to put it in the plane ???), but Art said he'd watch anything so, enjoy (and practice your french ):

Twin otter téléguidé 14 pieds d'envergure (3 min 36 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2011, 09:08 PM
United States, WI, Eau Claire
Joined May 2011
1,041 Posts
Well, good news - but sorry, no video - yet.

First FPV flights were a success. I make a little foam "pod" to strap to various aircraft to try it out flying LOS. First up was the Alpha 40 glow, which went really well - I'm still going to make the bottom pod for this plane as it's so stable and vibration-free once you take off.

Next up was the Quad, and I slung the pod underneath and decided to go for broke. Prior to FPV I could only fly very slowly LOS, but adding the first-person view I was soon zooming around our field like I'd been flying for years. It felt very much like flying the helicopter in Battlefield 2; a video game I've played for a long, long time.

Sadly though we had some issues. Between our club, two DX8s and one DX7 today produced unexplained crashes and glitches. My DX8 made my Quad fall out of the sky at one point and I caught it and regained control about five feet from the ground and saved a total wreck - no damage at all. My friend wasn't so lucky - he wrecked two planes today, all suddenly dive-bombing into the ground with his new DX8. The Bixler survived to fly another day, but the foam scratch-built FPV ship will have to be remade from scratch.

The DX7 caused a profile 3D plane with 100+ flights to do snap barrel rolls on its own, but the owner got her down in one piece.

All day, we had very strange glitches on two separate sets of FPV and radio equipment. In the end I stopped the FPV (I'm going to rewire the setup to run off the main battery instead of the little 500mah I got with the kit) and flew my repaired 3DHS edge and my quad. I cannot WAIT to be able to sling the GoPro under it.

I will make sure I am recording my next outings after Labor day. We simply couldn't find a USB capture device that would play nice with my laptop.
banzi28 is offline Find More Posts by banzi28
Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:18 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,462 Posts
quad flying 8-28-2011 (7 min 33 sec)
Old Aug 29, 2011, 01:24 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
5,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
La vache !!! Quesqu'il est beau l'avion !!!il a l'air lourd quand mÍme il vole a perfection. Il a besoin d'une centrale electrique pour recharger les piles ?

pretty plane , bet it needs a power plant to recharge the batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by banzi28 View Post

Sadly though we had some issues. Between our club, two DX8s and one DX7 today produced unexplained crashes and glitches.
A LOT of people dismiss the Spektrums when mixed with FPV. I used to fly a JR with FRSKY 2.4GHZ with a 1.2 GHz video and that too is a recipe for disaster. I bought some low pass filters for the VTX hoping this will cure the problem.
the problem is the harmonics created by the VTX, the second harmonic is bang on 2.4 GHZ.
Spektrum technology does not hop in frequencies making it more vulnerable to noise coming from other sources.
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Aug 29, 2011, 02:14 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2011
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmonster99 View Post
Oh,yours is really cheap.
qiuzhili is offline Find More Posts by qiuzhili
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 29, 2011, 06:11 AM
United States, WI, Eau Claire
Joined May 2011
1,041 Posts
Yes that seems to be a big issue. We're both looking for Futuba radios now. I'm not sure if I want to convert everything over or just buy a used 72mhz system just for FPV.
banzi28 is offline Find More Posts by banzi28
Old Aug 29, 2011, 03:22 PM
Yorkshire, England
Joined Mar 2010
147 Posts
Today's flight, scenery is better but wind made it a bit wobbly!
Cool to see the WW2 bunkers still valiently watching our coast!

SpeetonFPV.wmv (2 min 47 sec)
Redmist is offline Find More Posts by Redmist
Old Aug 29, 2011, 05:08 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,462 Posts
Very nice view redmist.

Hey CG, you keeping dry up there?