HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 26, 2011, 05:25 PM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkfoamer View Post
Hard to believe how calm the air was yesterday morn....for a slow stick to be steady in flight is a rarity. read the description below the vid for interesting details....when you are a long way from a transmitter, you do get lost signals.(dx7 and ar7000) ....found this out after watching the #11 vid......... 2 uncommanded motor shutdowns during climbout,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0PgJLKHYqw

climbout to 1500 feet not of much interest Had an RC link dropout twice as evidenced by fail safe motor shut down during climbout @ about 2:40 and 4:40. No video control dropouts,however.
skip to about 6:00....so little air motion that sometimes the plane does not appear to be moving for a few seconds at a stretch......was able to cancel scene rotation by feeding in trim inputs to the rudder....stick motion was too coarse to do this. good video when flying away from the coast.. AIR HAS TO BE REALLY CALM FOR A SLOW STICK TO FLY THIS STEADY!!! (spotter gave up early in this flight!).......no RTH on board, glad i dont have much on the slo stick!!!
Wow - that is spooky smooth PK! If it weren't for the landing gear triangle one would think that was taken from a blimp or something. One question, what is that green area with the winding channels all emptying into a large basin, it's in the video at 7:00 and 10:00 marks, I think earlier too..

Very well done!
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Last edited by Glenstr; Jul 27, 2011 at 09:21 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2011, 05:49 PM
Oklahoma City
Joined May 2004
1,682 Posts
Art, Here's a couple pics of how I mounted my motors. I drilled a hole through the arm for the shaft. I am hoping the ply plate adds enough strength so the arm won't break at the hole.
On my first copter, I mounted the motor on the plate with the screws going into the plate, but not the arm. I quickly broke the ply plate off. Now I make the arm extend past the motor to help prevent motor strikes, and the screws go into the arms which holds better. No broken frame parts yet. I have stripped a tail servo on the tri, and broken some props.. but not the frame.
MorrisM is offline Find More Posts by MorrisM
Old Jul 26, 2011, 06:03 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Apr 2001
13,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
Art, been thinking: If the mounting plate for the motor is not too thick, can you mount the motor on the bottom of the plate and have the shaft protrude on top of the plate ? No need to move the shaft then and no need to find how to secure the bell.

He re is a little inspiration to get you going with the build: Filmed at the meeting

http://exposureroom.com/members/tazd...2ebeb6c9f612f/
I've thought about mounting the motors that way.

That is a pretty cool video... OK, I'm excited about it again.

BTW, there is "continuous" recording versions of the #11's firmware, it's what I use.
Art Newland is offline Find More Posts by Art Newland
Old Jul 26, 2011, 06:03 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,330 Posts
pretty high PK ! Nice flying ! Do you have a OSD to know the altitude ? Or a logger ?
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2011, 06:08 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,272 Posts
Quote:
Hard to believe how calm the air was yesterday morn....for a slow stick to be steady in flight is a rarity. read the description below the vid for interesting details....when you are a long way from a transmitter, you do get lost signals.(dx7 and ar7000) ....found this out after watching the #11 vid......... 2 uncommanded motor shutdowns during climbout,

climbout to 1500 feet not of much interest Had an RC link dropout twice as evidenced by fail safe motor shut down during climbout @ about 2:40 and 4:40. No video control dropouts,however.
skip to about 6:00....so little air motion that sometimes the plane does not appear to be moving for a few seconds at a stretch......was able to cancel scene rotation by feeding in trim inputs to the rudder....stick motion was too coarse to do this. good video when flying away from the coast.. AIR HAS TO BE REALLY CALM FOR A SLOW STICK TO FLY THIS STEADY!!! (spotter gave up early in this flight!).......no RTH on board, glad i dont have much on the slo stick!!!
Nice stable flight ! I vet is was one of your best flights...
rcmonster99 is online now Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Jul 26, 2011, 08:17 PM
Clueless, but trying
United States, CA, Walnut Creek
Joined Nov 2001
753 Posts
Hey guys... looking for help on a hack job of a Kawasaki DVD Monitor... could you take a look?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1478118
Orcoz is offline Find More Posts by Orcoz
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:13 PM
Oh so close!
Campbell River
Joined Jan 2010
702 Posts
WOW! There's dead calm and then there's whatever you got! I would KILL for those conditions. EXCELLENT!

cheers

Quote:

clipper99 is offline Find More Posts by clipper99
Old Jul 27, 2011, 12:07 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,976 Posts
OK... going with a cheap (very) and dirty quad frame. It's beefy, but I will end up with 800-1000 watts. I am calling it "Watts on hand", because that what it is, just what I had on hand. 1/2 poplar arms, 3/16 ply for the mounts, and 1/2 inch lite-ply DIY picture frame. Wife had four, she'll never miss one.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 12:22 AM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Nov 2004
671 Posts
carguy altitude question

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
pretty high PK ! Nice flying ! Do you have a OSD to know the altitude ? Or a logger ?
i have a altitude readout device that balsabuster gave me. It stores the highest altitude reached and when you replug the main power in it blinks via an led a series of flashes which are digitally displayed.....one flash is 1000 ft (if you are below 10000!!), next flashes were a total of 5 and the next flashes were 2 and the last flashes was 2....so readout was 1522. feet. next time you fly it resets if you go up over some number of feet ...(dont know what that number is) real simple to use.
pkfoamer is offline Find More Posts by pkfoamer
Old Jul 27, 2011, 12:25 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,976 Posts
Nice PK, A slowstick in dead calm is magical!
Old Jul 27, 2011, 12:53 AM
Joined Nov 2004
671 Posts
newland quad buildup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
OK... going with a cheap (very) and dirty quad frame. It's beefy, but I will end up with 800-1000 watts. I am calling it "Watts on hand", because that what it is, just what I had on hand. 1/2 poplar arms, 3/16 ply for the mounts, and 1/2 inch lite-ply DIY picture frame. Wife had four, she'll never miss one.
its amazing...just a few years ago all the electronics needed to fly such a thing would have weighed 5 pounds or more....much progress has been made in this area..!.....only one guy at our field is flying one and it is a prefab one...

keep your eye on those props....tom whacked his finger flying his quad the other day...lucky it was a slo fly small prop!!
Old Jul 27, 2011, 12:56 AM
Joined Jan 2009
23 Posts
Hey, newbie fpver here, but I've had plenty of practice with big box store vehicles lol. I'm putting my tricopter together for an FPV complete focus... BUTTTTTT!

But I was wondering... I wanna have some juice to punch it, does anyone have some good motors they recommend. I have the KK board on the way, and I was wondering (and I am no expert), the back motor that controls the yaw... I think that's correct controls the forward speed motion right?

Would putting a more powerful motor in the back alter that speed at all or just throw the tricopter off balance?
Novello is offline Find More Posts by Novello
Old Jul 27, 2011, 01:09 AM
Joined Nov 2004
671 Posts
sw2 maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmonster99 View Post
Hi All
Well... this weekend has been pretty good as far as I am concerned. I installed the Chainlink system on 2 of my planes, the Skywalker #2 and my Radian. I've gone nearly out 2km without a glitch and the video link was clear and solid.
The Radian did ok too but the weather turned up to be quite windy and blustery.

The RVOSD is needing more information and more studying, but I am taking baby steps here, like Balsabuster, it might take 6 month before I get to the bottom of this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Heyv9YJkLA

and here it is after the first nerves were conquered

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONSSthcpA4Q

great flying.....how long does it take to fly this good???

...I currently fly a slow stick....or rather, it flies me.....i try to correct where it is going without interfering too much with its own decisions as to where to go. So far , so good. Have a larger plane am trying to move up to ...called HK EPP FPV i got from a friend....however, it has no dihedral and is reputed to be a hard thing to fly....will see what the move up entails. will have a co-pilot on it ....see how well that goes.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 01:10 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,976 Posts
I think it is more that all motors provide the forward thrust, you want them all the same. But whatbdo I know? 8^)
Old Jul 27, 2011, 01:39 AM
Clueless, but trying
United States, CA, Walnut Creek
Joined Nov 2001
753 Posts
At it again!

We've upgraded our ground station to a BIG card board box

My apologies for the video quality... easycap on default settings as I simply don't have the space to spare for a montrous file.

This was my first 'almost' 100% flight from under the hood! Other than my launch (AJ is still a little young to throw the Bixler) I flew her all the way into the ground... seriously. Missed hitting the fence by about 4 feet.

I edited this one down to just the fun bits. Let me know what you think!

Oz

Full FPV with co-pilot AJ 72611 (4 min 38 sec)
Orcoz is offline Find More Posts by Orcoz