SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 26, 2011, 02:08 AM
Clueless, but trying
Orcoz's Avatar
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined Nov 2001
752 Posts
So sorry to hear that Glen, but it's those dings and glue seams that just make the plane that much more lovable.

Is the camera ok?

Oz
Orcoz is offline Find More Posts by Orcoz
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2011, 07:45 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
carguy1994ca's Avatar
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,798 Posts
It broke nice and clean, just where there is no wood and the fuse is weaker. Much better than picking up small chunks of foam and splinters of wood everywhere. From what I saw at the FPV meeting, those foam FPV planes are not meant to look good for very long. As long as they hold up in the air, people will fly them t'ill there is no more foam on them It certainly ain't a scale contest.

Made a long flight with the #11 sunday while testing the DL and the #11 stops recording after 20 min and starts a new file. Problem is it doesn't end the first file correctly and I have to recover it by converting (maybe there are other means but didn't try). Doesn't get the same quality though. Can't we reprogram it to have a continous recording ?
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2011, 07:58 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
carguy1994ca's Avatar
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,798 Posts
If you want to take a look at the FPV meeting I went to, you can look this tread. I'll post a video as soon as I have time to make one.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...368954&page=19
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2011, 08:32 AM
Registered User
Glenstr's Avatar
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,958 Posts
Camera seems ok, I made the mistake of taking a couple of snaps with it of the broken plane when I saw there was no video file saved - I probably should not have done that as they have written over anything recoverable, if there was anything. Ran ZAR on the SD card but there was nothing to see anyway.

Yes it broke fairly clean and was not that hard to glue back together. I checked it this morning and noticed that it is off of true about 1/4" front to back. I'm thinking that should not affect the flight to much, and I am going to add some more 1/32 ply to the sides where it broke and may be able to straighten it out then. I am going to start building another fuselage soon, and I think I am going to make one out of standard blue house insulation foam and make it not so swiss-cheese. Mike Evans, who designed this plane carry's a DSLR on his bird and is a fanatic about weight and low wing loading, I'm carrying a much lighter payload for the most part and can sacrifice some weight for added strength. I also have 2 1" panels of foam I kept from some furniture we recently bought, it seems pretty strong so I think I'm going to laminate the two panels together with a sheet of 1/64 ply between them, then cover the whole exterior with masking paper and a mixture of white glue and water - which is supposed to be super strong and fairly easy to do. When I was gluing the fuse back together I also noticed one of my kid's "boogie boards" stored on a shelf - they are about 2" thick, seem pretty flat and are strong as all get-out.. hmmmm...

I think I will also drop the camera platform an inch or so, so it's easier to miss the bottom of the prop when camera mounting.

That fpv meet looked like fun CG - just curious, you must really have to keep track of who is on what video band at these things eh? Though I guess not much different than flying 72 Mhz.. although the video channels available are a lot less in number. Looking forward to some video!
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 08:58 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
carguy1994ca's Avatar
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,798 Posts
Quote:
just curious, you must really have to keep track of who is on what video band at these things eh?
They had a laptop running a software that allowed flyers to fly together without conflict. It was used for the first 2 hours, then it looked to me as it went free for all after that, although people were concious enough to ask who was flying on what. Not easy because of a lot of different freq. en radio and video. All went well though.

Quote:
I am going to start building another fuselage soon
You can also strenghten the foam fuselage with low temp covering like econokote. They use a similar method to cover the wings like the one Trappy uses. When I have time, I'm going to see a local vinyl stripes store to get some vinyl tape so I can cover the Stryker with it. It will add color and rigidity, and my guess is it will be easier to apply than usual covering. I'll try to buy it thin.
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2011, 09:21 AM
Registered User
Glenstr's Avatar
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
They had a laptop running a software that allowed flyers to fly together without conflict. It was used for the first 2 hours, then it looked to me as it went free for all after that, although people were concious enough to ask who was flying on what. Not easy because of a lot of different freq. en radio and video. All went well though.



You can also strenghten the foam fuselage with low temp covering like econokote. They use a similar method to cover the wings like the one Trappy uses. When I have time, I'm going to see a local vinyl stripes store to get some vinyl tape so I can cover the Stryker with it. It will add color and rigidity, and my guess is it will be easier to apply than usual covering. I'll try to buy it thin.
Curious how the laptop/software would allow everyone to fly together without conflict - do you know what the software was?

I will check that covering option out. Also going to take a good look at cutting up one of those foam floaty toys if they are straight enough. Real curious about them as they are strong enough to hold my weight up in water when I am sitting on one. Plus if I could keep the covering on it would look pretty funky!

OTOH, maybe the foam breaking is not neccesarily a bad thing, probably saves some of the more expensive components from damage with the "accordian" effect..

Here is a pic of an aerial bird similar to mine, covered with the brown masking paper and diluted while glue mixture. I think he said that brown paper adds incredible strength - it looks like he even built the wing without the ply spars on it.

Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:26 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
carguy1994ca's Avatar
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,798 Posts
In the pics I posted about the meeting, there is a creenshot of the software. It mixes pilots with different freq.

I hope that brown plane has a coat of paint to make it impervious to humidity. There was an article in FLY RC a couple of months ago about a similar technique used to cover foamies and paint it over the white glue/paper coat. Nice finish (for a foamie). I tried the fiberglass and water soluble polyurethane varnish, looked and protected against dings good but when you crash, the finish cracks and the is more work to do. I covered the Stryker only with a brushed coat and it a little more ding proof.
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2011, 02:16 PM
Oh so close!
clipper99's Avatar
Campbell River
Joined Jan 2010
702 Posts
Sorry to hear that Glen but it did look worse than it turned out to be...lucky your wing was OK too!

When I saw the pic of it standing vertically while you were gluing it the first thing I thought of was "watch out that it stays straight and true". Being out 1/4" may make it act as a huge slow rudder but you'll see when you fly it again. I suppose that applying 1/64 strips to both sides in exact opposition would work but you're going to have to figure a good way of clamping or even better lay the fuse on a perfectly flat surface. I know these fuses are a pain to lay flat but you could always drill out locations on the work area for the dowels and servos to sit in then add your 1/64 strips and start piling on the weights to hold it all down. When it dries you'll be back to flat.

I sure like your idea of the 1" foam with 1/64 ply sandwiched in the middle. Damn, that would be SUPER strong without adding too much weight.

cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenstr View Post
Camera seems ok, I made the mistake of taking a couple of snaps with it of the broken plane when I saw there was no video file saved - I probably should not have done that as they have written over anything recoverable, if there was anything. Ran ZAR on the SD card but there was nothing to see anyway.

Yes it broke fairly clean and was not that hard to glue back together. I checked it this morning and noticed that it is off of true about 1/4" front to back. I'm thinking that should not affect the flight to much, and I am going to add some more 1/32 ply to the sides where it broke and may be able to straighten it out then. I am going to start building another fuselage soon, and I think I am going to make one out of standard blue house insulation foam and make it not so swiss-cheese. Mike Evans, who designed this plane carry's a DSLR on his bird and is a fanatic about weight and low wing loading, I'm carrying a much lighter payload for the most part and can sacrifice some weight for added strength. I also have 2 1" panels of foam I kept from some furniture we recently bought, it seems pretty strong so I think I'm going to laminate the two panels together with a sheet of 1/64 ply between them, then cover the whole exterior with masking paper and a mixture of white glue and water - which is supposed to be super strong and fairly easy to do. When I was gluing the fuse back together I also noticed one of my kid's "boogie boards" stored on a shelf - they are about 2" thick, seem pretty flat and are strong as all get-out.. hmmmm...

I think I will also drop the camera platform an inch or so, so it's easier to miss the bottom of the prop when camera mounting.

That fpv meet looked like fun CG - just curious, you must really have to keep track of who is on what video band at these things eh? Though I guess not much different than flying 72 Mhz.. although the video channels available are a lot less in number. Looking forward to some video!
clipper99 is offline Find More Posts by clipper99
Last edited by clipper99; Jul 26, 2011 at 02:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 02:39 PM
Registered User
Glenstr's Avatar
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clipper99 View Post
Sorry to hear that Glen but it did look worse than it turned out to be...lucky your wing was OK too!

When I saw the pic of it standing vertically while you were gluing it the first thing I thought of was "watch out that it stays straight and true". Being out 1/4" may make it act as a huge slow rudder but you'll see when you fly it again. I suppose that apllying 1/64 strips to both sides in exact opposition would work but you're going to have to figure a good way of clamping or even better lay the fuse on a perfectly flat surface. I know these fuses are a pain to lay flat but you could always drill out locations on the work area
for the dowels and servos to sit in then add your 1/64 strips and start piling on the weights to hold it all down. When it dries you'll be back to flat.

I sure like your idea of the 1" foam with 1/64 ply sandwiched in the middle. Damn, that would be SUPER strong without adding too much weight.

cheers
Actually it won't be too bad to lay flat, all the stuff is off it so I just have to hang the tail feather off the edge somewhere. The wing dowels pop out and I think I should be able to lay it on one of the black & decker style benches I have. I also have my 90" wing ready to go now as well, but this wing has sure taken a beating! I have another 80" wing on its way from MWcores too.

I have LOTS of ply to play with now, I ordered some in for pickup at Great Hobbies here in Edmonton, got tired of waiting for it so mail ordered some from aircraft spruce online, which is way cheaper and sheets are 24X48 rather than 12X48 for about the same price. Then Great Hobbies finally gets there stock back in and sends it to me - I was just going to stop at the store if I ever needed it - so now I have 1 12X48 and 1 24X48 if 1/64, and 1 12X48 and 1 24X48 of 1/32 sitting at home - enough for a few fuses!

I think I may make a couple of fuses modified more for my photo needs, lower the camera part (or raise the prop mount area) and make an underneath cubby I can fit a gopro in to face back. I also might make the fuse more "heptad style" so I can mount the fpv antenna underneath - lots of possibilities with all those square inches to work with..

I may also have the motor stick out a little more with one of these pictured below - if I still need to get the bottom of the prop out of the picture that may help.

Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 02:41 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Art Newland's Avatar
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Apr 2001
13,908 Posts
Hey Glen, FPV can be a rollercoaster ride huh? When it's all working, it's fantastic, but things can go wrong in a hurry.

I've been frustrated with the quad build... been making to many assumtions! 8^)
I've been busy so when I have time to build and I run across issues like the motor shafts, drives me a little nutty! 8^)

I've got three flyable FPV planes, maybe I should just get out the and fly them! Save the quad for a rainy day. This is supposed to be fun... right?? 8^)
Art Newland is online now Find More Posts by Art Newland
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 02:49 PM
Registered User
Glenstr's Avatar
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
Hey Glen, FPV can be a rollercoaster ride huh? When it's all working, it's fantastic, but things can go wrong in a hurry.

I've been frustrated with the quad build... been making to many assumtions! 8^)
I've been busy so when I have time to build and I run across issues like the motor shafts, drives me a little nutty! 8^)

I've got three flyable FPV planes, maybe I should just get out the and fly them! Save the quad for a rainy day. This is supposed to be fun... right?? 8^)
It sure can! Last nights flight was one that I had a chance to actually relax and enjoy a bit though, I am getting more comfortable with the plane just being a tiny speck in the sky without orientation-anxiety-panic setting in and fpv allows me to enjoy the ride more.

I think I will build a smaller plane that's not so hard to fight the wind with though, one just for FPV rather than AP/AV as well. I am thinking the Bixler from HK, and maybe even the Stryker I just acquired so I can get some real pushing the edge videos like Carguy!

On another note, that 540 camera sure has a nice picture!
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 03:23 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Nov 2004
666 Posts
CURGUY 20 min recording limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
It broke nice and clean, just where there is no wood and the fuse is weaker. Much better than picking up small chunks of foam and splinters of wood everywhere. From what I saw at the FPV meeting, those foam FPV planes are not meant to look good for very long. As long as they hold up in the air, people will fly them t'ill there is no more foam on them It certainly ain't a scale contest.

Made a long flight with the #11 sunday while testing the DL and the #11 stops recording after 20 min and starts a new file. Problem is it doesn't end the first file correctly and I have to recover it by converting (maybe there are other means but didn't try). Doesn't get the same quality though. Can't we reprogram it to have a continous recording ?
i recorded more than 20 min yesterday, but when i downloaded it to my computer, it only downloaded the first 20 min. (the recordings were good) I assumed there was nothing else on there, so i deleted the files off of the #11. later on i plugged the #11 into the computer and discovered there were 3 more files on there. I guess they were part of the next 20 min??? NO clue here...
pkfoamer is offline Find More Posts by pkfoamer
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 03:30 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
carguy1994ca's Avatar
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkfoamer View Post
i recorded more than 20 min yesterday, but when i downloaded it to my computer, it only downloaded the first 20 min. (the recordings were good) I assumed there was nothing else on there, so i deleted the files off of the #11. later on i plugged the #11 into the computer and discovered there were 3 more files on there. I guess they were part of the next 20 min??? NO clue here...
Yep, mine does stop at 20 min and then strat new file for the next 20 min. I'll time my flights for less than 20 min or will have to find another cam...

I guess I'll just record the flights on the aiptek, anyway for long range flights better to record them so if you loose the plane you have images of the OSD coordinates and the place where it landed/crashed.
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2011, 03:35 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
carguy1994ca's Avatar
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,798 Posts
Art, been thinking: If the mounting plate for the motor is not too thick, can you mount the motor on the bottom of the plate and have the shaft protrude on top of the plate ? No need to move the shaft then and no need to find how to secure the bell.

He re is a little inspiration to get you going with the build: Filmed at the meeting

http://exposureroom.com/members/tazd...2ebeb6c9f612f/
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2011, 03:44 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Nov 2004
666 Posts
Dead calm flight with slow stick, fairview park

Hard to believe how calm the air was yesterday morn....for a slow stick to be steady in flight is a rarity. read the description below the vid for interesting details....when you are a long way from a transmitter, you do get lost signals.(dx7 and ar7000) ....found this out after watching the #11 vid......... 2 uncommanded motor shutdowns during climbout,

FPV flight of slo stick in dead calm (rare) condition (13 min 5 sec)


climbout to 1500 feet not of much interest Had an RC link dropout twice as evidenced by fail safe motor shut down during climbout @ about 2:40 and 4:40. No video control dropouts,however.
skip to about 6:00....so little air motion that sometimes the plane does not appear to be moving for a few seconds at a stretch......was able to cancel scene rotation by feeding in trim inputs to the rudder....stick motion was too coarse to do this. good video when flying away from the coast.. AIR HAS TO BE REALLY CALM FOR A SLOW STICK TO FLY THIS STEADY!!! (spotter gave up early in this flight!).......no RTH on board, glad i dont have much on the slo stick!!!
pkfoamer is offline Find More Posts by pkfoamer
Last edited by pkfoamer; Jul 26, 2011 at 04:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion My training diary rballz Beginner Training Area (Heli-Electric) 50 Nov 26, 2010 02:49 PM
Discussion 3D noobie ??? mtnpilot 3D Foamies 17 Aug 19, 2010 08:23 PM
Discussion NOOBIE looking for good FPV setup. bmwNick FPV Talk 4 Sep 15, 2009 01:11 PM
Joke Dog diary vs Cat diary Tonystott Humor 5 May 17, 2007 03:42 AM