HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2011, 04:19 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcoz View Post
Would you guys try to find a replacement harness, or just recreate your own? I'm open to any suggestions - and will be making a trip to radio shack in an hour or so to see what parts they may have available...

Thanks in advance guys!
Orcoz
yea,you need to ditch those big connectors and make your own harness. Is there only one wire it there thats getting hot? If so you have some serious current draw going on there... something shorting maybe?
Art Newland is online now Find More Posts by Art Newland
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2011, 04:22 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,735 Posts
Just looked better at the pictures, looks like + and - from the JST connector goes there, could be the wires flexing and making shorting or wires breaking?
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:02 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,735 Posts
I started laying out my basic quad frame, thought this shouldn't be too hard...

Took a good look at my motors and the shaft comes out the wrong side. Dang! I'll have to convert each one so the shaft comes out the other side, not too big a deal but if I'd paid more attention, I could have bought motors ready to use. The motors come with bullet connector already installed, so do the ESC's I bought, nice... only problem is the connectors are different sizes. Now the motors thrust will want to pull the motor bell off of the motor, there is a "C" clip that goes on the shaft when the shaft comes out the original side... that it doesn't need because the thrust would pull the bell in towards the motor. Poor engineering there. I'll have to make some kind of retainer for each one.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:29 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,076 Posts
If I look at the last pic, you can put a collet on the shaft and use a set screw in that flat on the shaft ?

After testing the camera and the harness, looks like my cam is dead Ordered a new one from NGHobbies. It will fit hte mount already installed on the glider and it will be here in 3- 4 days, ready for my vacation.
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV week end with friends
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:55 PM
Clueless, but trying
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined Nov 2001
752 Posts
Re-wired

Thanks for the nudge guys! This will have a huge impact on the weight I was carrying up in the canopy as a happy side effect.

Job was silly easy, and I may do it again just to do a cleaner job, but IT WORKS!
Orcoz is offline Find More Posts by Orcoz
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:26 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
If I look at the last pic, you can put a collet on the shaft and use a set screw in that flat on the shaft ?

After testing the camera and the harness, looks like my cam is dead Ordered a new one from NGHobbies. It will fit hte mount already installed on the glider and it will be here in 3- 4 days, ready for my vacation.
I'll see if I can find some 4mm wheel collars, they should work, I might have to machine a surface on them so it doesn't drag on the bearing.

Too bad about the camera, and did you tell us about the Striker's burnt up motor?
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:28 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcoz View Post
Thanks for the nudge guys! This will have a huge impact on the weight I was carrying up in the canopy as a happy side effect.

Job was silly easy, and I may do it again just to do a cleaner job, but IT WORKS!
Glad that worked for you, skills with the soldering iron are very important in this hobby.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:39 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,955 Posts
Did an fpv flight last night with my kids, got #2 daughter to get some ground video for me, turned out not bad, dead calm at ground level but breezy above 100' so it was a little bouncy. Anyway, still in the cutting room, maybe finish it tomorrow.

On another note. I have a motor/esc question for you experts: I am running a Pulso 2820/14 860KV with a Pulso DL40A++ ESC. Running a 14X7 prop on this combo.

Last night after about 20-25 minutes flying, I was going to to one more quick one to practice my approach/landing. I am running two zippy 3000mah batt's, hooked in parallel. I figured I should have lots of batt left because usually after a flight like this I am still showing over 11v on the batts when I get home.

Anyway, when I went to take off, I noticed it seemed quite sluggish, and I remembered my pushing my turnigy 3000mah too far and cooking it, so I stopped, took the batt's off. Batteries were not even warm at this point Anyway I put on my 2650mah to make my short flight.. even with it, it seemed to be kind of "sluggish" on the take-off, usually this plane is gone in < 15' if I gun it. I did a couple of short circuits and put her down. When I got home I put my multi meter on the two zippys and they were both about 11.04 volts. Clipper is getting 20-15 minutes with 2 X 2200's stacked on a very similar plane, so I thought 2X 3000 should get me 1/2 hour flight time at least.

I started thinking back when I cooked my 3000mah turnigy - I had not really been flying that long, about 20 minutes or so, and thinking that the designer of the plane runs 2200's on his carrying a DSLR and gets 10-15 minutes from his 2820-14 I should have been ok, but the motors rev's were getting noticeably slower in a hurry on that occasion, and when I got the battery home it was at 8 volts.

I am wondering if there could be a problem with my motor or ESC? I was thinking about this because I had an ESC go on my RTF super cub last fall, and that was exactly what it did, started dropping RPM's noticeably and cooked my lipo.

What would be the best way to test and see if there is a problem or not? Watt meter? I thought some ESC's can be programmed, could it be hooked to the PC somehow and see if there is an issue?

thanks..
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:45 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,735 Posts
You really need a watt meter (or at least an amp meter) to know what's going on.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:57 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
You really need a watt meter (or at least an amp meter) to know what's going on.
going to get one asap, I am learning they are a must have in this hobby. I think I can borrow one for the short term this week however, a coworker has a Turnigy thats supposed to be a copy of the Watts up meter. They are out of stock at HK right now, but they do have this one - I think my coworker has this one as well and was telling me he also finds it useful. I'll see if he can bring it in on tuesday and go from there.
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old Jul 25, 2011, 01:03 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,735 Posts
You want to know how much current you are pulling at WOT, and what the battery voltage is under the load.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 05:00 AM
Oklahoma City
Joined May 2004
1,661 Posts
Art, That's odd how the connectors don't match. I have hobbypartz motors and ESC's for my quad and everything matched up fine. Got lucky i guess.

I have a Wattsup meter and use it all the time. Don't know how I ever got by without it.
The HK meter looks good.... much cheaper than the wattsup, and specs look similar.
MorrisM is offline Find More Posts by MorrisM
Old Jul 25, 2011, 07:21 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
5,993 Posts
Hi All
Well... this weekend has been pretty good as far as I am concerned. I installed the Chainlink system on 2 of my planes, the Skywalker #2 and my Radian. I've gone nearly out 2km without a glitch and the video link was clear and solid.
The Radian did ok too but the weather turned up to be quite windy and blustery.

The RVOSD is needing more information and more studying, but I am taking baby steps here, like Balsabuster, it might take 6 month before I get to the bottom of this..

SW2 maiden.avi (3 min 14 sec)

and here it is after the first nerves were conquered

Skywalker #2 first "real" flight.avi (4 min 36 sec)
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Jul 25, 2011, 08:18 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
You want to know how much current you are pulling at WOT, and what the battery voltage is under the load.
+1 on that, and time your flight so you don't get out of juice. I have a timer set on my radio that beeps when there is about 1 minute left of flight time so I can get a couple of circuit to land. That way, I never use more than 80 % of my lipos.

Start with a short timer, than add time on it until you get to the 80 % battery capacity used mark.
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV week end with friends
Old Jul 25, 2011, 08:28 AM
Washougal, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
Workd to the wise

If you're getting into electric flight, FIRST, you buy a watt meter. THEN you buy a plane. They're that important.
balsabuster2004 is offline Find More Posts by balsabuster2004