HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2011, 12:06 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
5,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcoz View Post
I'm still trying to figure out why this flight seemed less like flying a trainer, and more like one of Carguy's Stryker vids....

The evening sun was low in the sky, so I either flew High, Low or off to the left/right. Overall I was airborne for 10 minutes, but I cut out almost all of my 'therapeutic circling'.

Let me know what you guys think!

(LoS launch and landing... FPV moments in between my panic. You'll see why )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKJyOuCcqkA
Orcoz I suggest you get a DVR unit,This one will accomodate the most modest pockets. It will record your videos at the press of one button and it will save you from carrying you laptop everywhere. the laptop can attract unwanted attention from onlookers who can see you in a very vulnerable situation.
easycap can mees up your computer by taking all available disk space. Once I did that with mine, and Windows took about 1/2h to delete the fileand return the computer to a working condition ...
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2011, 02:03 PM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmonster99 View Post
Orcoz I suggest you get a DVR unit,This one will accomodate the most modest pockets. It will record your videos at the press of one button and it will save you from carrying you laptop everywhere. the laptop can attract unwanted attention from onlookers who can see you in a very vulnerable situation.
easycap can mees up your computer by taking all available disk space. Once I did that with mine, and Windows took about 1/2h to delete the fileand return the computer to a working condition ...
I think I'm going to have to get one of those RCM, try to find one on this side of the pond though..

In the meantime, weather has not been flying friendly, but my new 540TL cam came in from RMRC yesterday - so I spent last night figuring out where to put it best - ended up gluing another 2"X4" piece of .8mm ply on the underside back of the motor and putting it up there, which will have it looking through the prop, but just the bottom part. I may not even notice it much, I notice that when I have my gopro tilted up a bit to get more horizon I catch about 1" of the prop, but it never shows up in the vids till I power off then I can see the tips as it turns slowly.

I thinking about mounting it directly underneath the Gopro on the same ply, there is plenty of clearance and that would give me a 100% unobstructed view, but it's a little close to the ground for my comfort, I'll see how it works where it is then reassess. When I get my 10" wheels put on maybe then, but being that close to the ground would make landing by fpv kind of interesting, no? My actual reason for putting taller wheels on are so I can put the Gopro lower, for back facing video when I want, and also allow me to put my Zi8 or another point & shoot solid against the fuse so it has an unobstructed view.

Also got my strobes from flytron, I just put the white one on for now, and piggybacked it on my lumifly nav lights so it goes on with them. I may move it to its own channel though, I want to see how much more visible it is than the flashing led on the lumifly. I will probably replace the lumifly completely and use the read and green strobes for nav lights, but I'd like to have them all on the same switch, I should be able to wire the 3 strobes to one servo wire somehow shouldn't I? I was thinking with a splitter or something. I also have one of these from HK, which should work too.. Then again, I was thinking the white/red/green strobes would also look pretty cool on the Stryker (I have yet to fly) and might help me fly it since that is a plane that can get very small, very fast..

FPV cam and strobe installed. (1 min 23 sec)
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old Jul 23, 2011, 02:32 PM
Clueless, but trying
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined Nov 2001
748 Posts
Quote:
Orcoz I suggest you get a DVR unit...
Thanks RCM! I have a #11 that should be here any day now, and frankly so far I have only been flying out of one of our pastures, so unless my son decides to nab my laptop, I should be good.

BalsaB - I got a couple of long flights in this morning with the Hitec 555 and didn't experience any signal failures. I knew I was pushing the limits of that parkflier rx, it just surprised me that I didn't have more range. (vid tx could've been a factor too)

On my pre-flight this morning, I had buttoned everything up and was doing my final control surface checks when out from under my video pod came SMOKE! Dang it... again?!?

Quickly unplugged the video battery and tried to chase the smoke to it's origination.... no luck. I have the whole unit here on my desk and I'm still not seeing the cause, and I'm hesitant to plug it back in...
Orcoz is offline Find More Posts by Orcoz
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:59 PM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Nov 2004
663 Posts
lost plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by balsabuster2004 View Post
So much for my 4 days-off from flying. About 3:00pm while at the Camas Days booth, I got a phone call. Another plane lost. Spent the rest of the day flying searches. I think we see the plane. Going back this morning for final resolution.

Videos if successful.
sounds like a lot going on!!.....up your tally for found planes tomorrow...not much going on here...took my turnigy 1400kv 8-6 e prop setup off the plane and moved servos to the back and am putting on my 890kv scorpion motor in place of the turnigy...using 11-7 eprop....(misses boom by about 1/2 inch)......uses less current and pulls harder than the turnigy junk setup...saw a vid of a flying review of the hk epp fpv plane...guy showed it needs coupled rudder and, if left in a turn without correction, will spiral slowly down....will use co-pilot and see if it will do flat turns... will be interesting...
pkfoamer is offline Find More Posts by pkfoamer
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:30 PM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Nov 2004
663 Posts
rcmonster re-----Emprex BPR 101 - Digital AV recorder

Quote:
I would like to get one of these to see what i am getting off the 2000 camera directly (now i get #11 recordings of the flights only) . Looked at amazon over here and they didnt have a clue...are these avail only in england???? every site had prices in pounds....looking for a shorter delivery, if possible.......yes, ive heard about the easycap problems and dont want to get messed up with that approach
pkfoamer is offline Find More Posts by pkfoamer
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:38 PM
Washougal, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkfoamer View Post
sounds like a lot going on!!.....up your tally for found planes tomorrow...not much going on here...took my turnigy 1400kv 8-6 e prop setup off the plane and moved servos to the back and am putting on my 890kv scorpion motor in place of the turnigy...using 11-7 eprop....(misses boom by about 1/2 inch)......uses less current and pulls harder than the turnigy junk setup...saw a vid of a flying review of the hk epp fpv plane...guy showed it needs coupled rudder and, if left in a turn without correction, will spiral slowly down....will use co-pilot and see if it will do flat turns... will be interesting...
It should make it do relatively flat turns.
balsabuster2004 is offline Find More Posts by balsabuster2004
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:43 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,470 Posts
Find any planes?
Art Newland is offline Find More Posts by Art Newland
Old Jul 24, 2011, 12:26 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
11,420 Posts
FPV meeting - just back

Hey guys ! Just back from the Quebec FPV meeting near Montreal. Was well worth the 3 1/2 hours drive back and forth. Met with Zoltan from NGHobbies, Tim and Anthony from immersion RC, saw a lot of things and won some great antennas !!! I saw the new fatsharks, tried Carl Zeiss gogles (Oh man, the picture), saw the neatest GS from Tim, and burn the motor on the Stryker Worth it I tell ya ! And Art, I'm ordering the controller board from KH for my Tricopter, saw it fly and it is real nice. Saucisse said it was great for FPV.

Full report and video to come. Meanwhile, enjoy some pictures:
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2011, 12:50 AM
Washougal, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
Find any planes?
Yeah. May post Monday? Busy with Camas Days buddy-boxing thing 10:00am - 3:00pm Sunday. (open flying is permitted during event)
balsabuster2004 is offline Find More Posts by balsabuster2004
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:36 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsabuster2004 View Post
Yeah. May post Monday? Busy with Camas Days buddy-boxing thing 10:00am - 3:00pm Sunday. (open flying is permitted during event)
I might stop by.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:41 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,470 Posts
Looks like a great time there CG, wish I was there too! Good news about the HK quad board. Do you know if he was using the stock firmware? A NexStar FPV... now who woulda thought of that!

I have the programming software set up for the quad board, have the newest and best from kaptainkuk (designed to still fit on the HK board) for +,X, and tri, got the 10-6 pin adapter, just need the AVR programmer. Gonna make my own frame.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 03:57 PM
Clueless, but trying
Joined Nov 2001
748 Posts
Grounded

I've posted this in the "Getting Started" thread as well, but wanted to lean on you guys too if I could

It seems that I've got a chronic issue with my wiring harness deciding to catch on fire. Specifically, this problem is occuring where my lipo battery feeds power to the VTx harness. The damage was a little too close to the connection point, and frankly I want to fix this so it doesn't happen again.

Pictures say a thousand words:
Old Jul 24, 2011, 03:59 PM
Clueless, but trying
Joined Nov 2001
748 Posts
Would you guys try to find a replacement harness, or just recreate your own? I'm open to any suggestions - and will be making a trip to radio shack in an hour or so to see what parts they may have available...

Thanks in advance guys!
Orcoz
Old Jul 24, 2011, 04:02 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
11,420 Posts
I make my own harnesses. I bought some 3 and 4 wires pigtails with connectors that matches the camera and VTx from ready made RC. It weights less than those big RCA conenctors and you can amke them longer if you need to. Look at the pics from my glider a couple of pages ago and you'll see the harness installed.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2011, 04:07 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
11,420 Posts
Dragonlink flight test

Tested the DL in the air today: Success ! Binding and setting failsafe went without a hitch and testing the range I got more than the recommended 20 meters without antenna (using the dummy load). In the air, the plane performed flawlessly and i had great range flying LOS.

After that I installed all the GS and was eager to do a great flight FPV but the camera/VTx wouldn't work. It is the camera that crashed on the stryker last time. It was tested to work afetr the crash, but dropped it on the floor after that and didn't check it again. The VTx doesn't come hot when the battery is connected, so maybe it is the Tx that doesn't work ? Oh crap...hope I don't have to buy another camera, it is becoming costly
RCG Plus Member