HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 21, 2011, 07:05 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,464 Posts
Quote:
the only thing less work than this landing would be a hand catch
I sometimes catch it with the tripod ... LOS landing ? You should practice FPV landing they are quite fun, and easier to manage when you know the plane. All my landings are FPV now.
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by carguy1994ca; Jul 21, 2011 at 07:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2011, 07:21 PM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
I sometimes catch it with the tripod ... LOS landing ? You should practice FPV landing they are quite fun, and easier to manage when you know the plane. All my landings are FPV now.
I have tried a couple, then can't help looking at the plane the last few moments, which usually ends up in a dumb-thumb incident of some sort..

I may fly tonight with the 10" screen and try one, I imagine it would also be better with the narrower FOV FPV cam when I get it hooked up too, the distorted gopro view makes me nervous because things are a lot closer than they look.
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old Jul 21, 2011, 08:26 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,855 Posts
Played with the 5.8G stuff I bought from the garage sale. Really works pretty good. I pulled them apart to take a peek inside. The power adapter (9v) it connected to a 7805 regulator (5v) so works fine on a 2S lipo. There is also a 433mhz transmitter in them, came with a IR remote so you could change channels to a TV or cable box etc remotely as well. I pulled the IR stuff out, would just use power and I don't need it.
5.8G Tx and Rx test (0 min 18 sec)
Art Newland is offline Find More Posts by Art Newland
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:29 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,464 Posts
Glider FPV gear install

Finished installing the gear on the Spectra. Balances just right, weight with everything is 42 ounces .Original recommended weight with nicad was 48 oz, so with a more powerfull 2,2 lipo and all fpv gear, it weights less than used to be I'll need another V antenna, switching from plane to plane is possible but not worth messing with. Where did you source your coax and wire for the elements Art ? I still have some PC board and wire, not sure if I have long enoug.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2011, 04:30 AM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Nov 2004
665 Posts
FPV landings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenstr View Post
I have tried a couple, then can't help looking at the plane the last few moments, which usually ends up in a dumb-thumb incident of some sort..

I may fly tonight with the 10" screen and try one, I imagine it would also be better with the narrower FOV FPV cam when I get it hooked up too, the distorted gopro view makes me nervous because things are a lot closer than they look.
Things do happen fast in the last few feet (or inches) in a FPV landing with a wide FOV camera. I have a 2000 camera which has a FOV not as wide as a go pro. (measured it at appox. 65 deg.) I was able to do them quite easily under the following conditions:

1. Slow stick
2. Land dead stick
3. Mix up elevator with throttle position so that the plane has minimum sink rate (without porpoising during descent) ....(this is done by viewing in the box to determine porpoising (LOS view is not good enuf for setting this trim)) and the setting saved)
4. Give a little elevator up prior to touchdown. This just when the view in the haier looks like you are going a million miles an hour and think you are going to smash in.

(the 2000 camera is mounted below the "fuse" on the slow stick...when the plane stops you can watch the ants running around in terror.)

I think this will work on the "HK EPP FPV" i am finishing setting up now. faster plane and camera is mounted much higher on the plane....., will be different and interesting,,,,,,might work....

(saving grace: i lost power with the HK plane LOS the other day and crashed straight down from 150 ft. ...broke only the cf wing joiner rod, so maybe will be able to land hard without damage flying FPV....hope so.!!!)
pkfoamer is offline Find More Posts by pkfoamer
Last edited by pkfoamer; Jul 22, 2011 at 04:41 AM.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 08:34 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,464 Posts
You can also practice some LOS landings while recording them through the FPV cam. Then you'll know how it must look like on the monitor or goggles when you'll do it FPV. What bugged me at first was that the FPV cam looks down a little and it gives you the impression the the plane is going down in a pronounced nose down angle. You have to learn to let it fly/glide to the ground while controling throttle. The plane will fly itself (of course you have to adjust to wind condition). Then I flare just before touching down. Find an open land so you can make a nice long approach, it is rewarding. Actually I find it easier than LOS because you can feel the plane better and when there is too little ground speed, you'll detect it sooner than LOS if the plane is going to stall. Practice makes perfect.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2011, 09:14 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,855 Posts
The coax was purchased on eBay, need to order some more also. Antenna elements are just #12 house wiring (romex).
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_2716wt_856
Old Jul 22, 2011, 09:39 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
The coax was purchased on eBay, need to order some more also. Antenna elements are just #12 house wiring (romex).
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_2716wt_856
Thanks Art !
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:27 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,855 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Art !
a lot of the FPV shops are selling coax with SMA connector these days, usually about $4.00... if you don't need 10 of them, and want to wait 2 weeks to get them.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 01:35 PM
Joined Nov 2004
665 Posts
fpv landings

Quote:
You can also practice some LOS landings while recording them through the FPV cam. Then you'll know how it must look like on the monitor or goggles when you'll do it FPV. What bugged me at first was that the FPV cam looks down a little and it gives you the impression the the plane is going down in a pronounced nose down angle. You have to learn to let it fly/glide to the ground while controling throttle. The plane will fly itself (of course you have to adjust to wind condition). Then I flare just before touching down. Find an open land so you can make a nice long approach, it is rewarding. Actually I find it easier than LOS because you can feel the plane better and when there is too little ground speed, you'll detect it sooner than LOS if the plane is going to stall. Practice makes perfect.
Yes, ....like you say..i almost never use elev when approaching ..if i need to stretch the approach i use power up only, ...very good point..IN fact, when i am flying fpv and i need to gain or lose altitude, i do it via throttle ONLY.
I was answering glenstrs concern on learning to land FPV. I have graduated to landing under power which gives me better control of the slow stick rudder (slow stick doesnt steer worth a darn with no wind blowing over the rudder!). The method i described to glenstr works real good even if you dont flare at the right time...saves a lot of landing gears etc. since you are landing at a minimum glide angle....as soon as you get used to the very disturbing view that looks like you are crashing at a 45 degree angle, you can get used to the visual deception.!!!
A good FPV touchdown always looks a lot better to bystanders than to the FPV box, since the box magnifies motion so much!

Lot of bystanders say i am way too low when i land under power, but with my view of the weeds etc. i can micromanage, so to speak, the decent.

Lots of fun flying FPV and keeps you on your toes!!!!
Old Jul 22, 2011, 01:50 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,069 Posts
My first goggle landings were exhilarating, after having an Easystar as my first practical FPV plane I moved on to one with undercarriage and nitro power ! now... landing that for the first time delicately WAS exhilarating !
Like Art says, you have to do it the full size way, i.e. managing throttle and ailerons to keep the plane level, very rarely adjust the elevator.

it works a treat, also give yourself plenty of sky before landing so you have plenty of time to get established in your approach descent.
rcmonster99 is online now Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Jul 22, 2011, 02:18 PM
Joined Nov 2004
665 Posts
glenstr and carguy, short video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WRrn1isUuI

THEY YELLED "WAY TOO LOW"...

gusty day for flying a slow stick....

had to brute force fly it down....

.i was told by spectators, i was way too low....however, if you view from 1:50 on in this vid, it looks on the 2000 camera as well as the #11, that it is just right or maybe a little high. ...that is the deception you get from the view screen and have to learn to overcome..

..STILL LEARNING!!
Old Jul 23, 2011, 09:33 AM
Clueless, but trying
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined Nov 2001
752 Posts
at it again...

I'm still trying to figure out why this flight seemed less like flying a trainer, and more like one of Carguy's Stryker vids....

The evening sun was low in the sky, so I either flew High, Low or off to the left/right. Overall I was airborne for 10 minutes, but I cut out almost all of my 'therapeutic circling'.

Let me know what you guys think!

(LoS launch and landing... FPV moments in between my panic. You'll see why )
FPV Flight #3 with AJ 72111 (5 min 29 sec)
Orcoz is offline Find More Posts by Orcoz
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:09 AM
Washougal, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
Orcoz

You must be using the EasyCap. I get the same double-images when I hit "Pause" while watching the video.

I don't have any solutions to apparent loss of control. Did the Hitek change-out fix the problem?
balsabuster2004 is offline Find More Posts by balsabuster2004
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:12 AM
Washougal, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
4 days off

So much for my 4 days-off from flying. About 3:00pm while at the Camas Days booth, I got a phone call. Another plane lost. Spent the rest of the day flying searches. I think we see the plane. Going back this morning for final resolution.

Videos if successful.
balsabuster2004 is offline Find More Posts by balsabuster2004