HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2011, 01:05 AM
Clueless, but trying
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined Nov 2001
752 Posts
Come on youuuutuuuubbbbee!

We trekked out to my flying field, which happens to be the upper pasture about 50 yards from my front door.

The sun was setting behind the trees on the western most side of a 20 acre valley... and the wind was dead calm. Unfortunately, that's where paradise ends. The mosquitos were out in force! Jaydon held in but was getting eaten alive.

My wife, son and his friend scrambled out to watch the flight as well. They just kept saying "this is SO cool"!

I successfully accomplished the first step in my planned project schedule
  • Take it up LOS with a buddy on the monitor
  • Repeat step one until image quality and radio interferance are determined
  • switch places
  • study film to orientate with aloft view

I flew for about 4 minutes, but in my excitement I had forgotten to hit the "capture video" on the easycap software. Fortunately the wifey caught it, and we recorded my last circuit, approach and my landing.

My field was more crowded than I'm used to, and I had to keep moving to avoid being sucked dry by the mosquitos... but I DID it!

Youtube is now "processing the video". This will be my first ever post to youtube as well as my first ever attempt at using Microsoft movie maker... but hey.... it's been a pretty busy afternoon. Right?

Orcoz
Orcoz is offline Find More Posts by Orcoz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2011, 02:11 AM
Certifiable
USA, CO, Dacono
Joined Aug 2009
1,850 Posts
Nice Work Orcoz, Very Tidy indeed!
Dacono Air is offline Find More Posts by Dacono Air
Old Jul 19, 2011, 07:04 AM
Clueless, but trying
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined Nov 2001
752 Posts
Meh... I'm a noob

It's 5am and youtube is still "processing the video". So I did some quick research and it seems that their servers like ".wmv" the best.

I scrapped my 'edited' version and threw the raw footage up. I know it's crappy, but hey... it's a start

71811 raw fpv.wmv (1 min 18 sec)
Orcoz is offline Find More Posts by Orcoz
Old Jul 19, 2011, 08:45 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,782 Posts
Congrats man ! Nice job on the pod, like the paint/decal job on the plane ! Someone was happy when you landed

You're a FPVer now

So make us lots of vids !!
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:18 AM
Washougal, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
Observers jumpin' up and down!
balsabuster2004 is offline Find More Posts by balsabuster2004
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:33 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,958 Posts
Nice video Orcoz, I liked the ending!

Here is my last nights flight, was dead calm on my way home from a meeting, so I decided to pop into our local trout pond and try a flight. Mosquito's almost had me airborne myself so I never flew too long, but there was a couple of guys fishing I managed to get some flyovers of..

Light was low so it's not as sharp as it could be, music isn't the best fit and it was late when I edited so I never stabilized it either. Hence the youtube version, if I get time I'll deshake it later and find some better muzak and put it up on vimeo.

enjoy

Buzzing the trout pond.. (6 min 37 sec)
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:43 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,782 Posts
Don't leave home without Muskol if you want to fly in the evening. And don't drop the bottle on your foam plane

I think my aiptek is dead. Anybody bought a digital video recorder lately ? I was thinking of this or this

Don't mind the prices, I have not decided where to buy yet. I also saw this, quite expensive but looks very nice.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:50 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Apr 2001
13,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcoz View Post
It's 5am and youtube is still "processing the video". So I did some quick research and it seems that their servers like ".wmv" the best.

I scrapped my 'edited' version and threw the raw footage up. I know it's crappy, but hey... it's a start

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhER5qEwMjw
au contraire Orcoz, That's probably the best "first flight" video I've seen in quite some time. I love it all! Family involvment is great. Too bad about the mosquito problem, seems like FPVers will endure a lot when we want to try something new, or haven't flown in a while. Your Bixler looks stable and you are flying smoothly. Enjoy your daughter's involvment while you can, eventually they really are 21. Two thumbs up! 8^)
Art Newland is offline Find More Posts by Art Newland
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:53 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,958 Posts
I am curious about those too, especially the ebay ones.I'd like to start recording from my ground station too, especially when venturing further out in case I lose the plane - then at least you would have a rough idea where to look..
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:58 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenstr View Post
I am curious about those too, especially the ebay ones.I'd like to start recording from my ground station too, especially when venturing further out in case I lose the plane - then at least you would have a rough idea where to look..
It did help me when I carshed last time. I could see a patch where there was no grass on the video and quickly found the crash site.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2011, 01:15 PM
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenstr View Post
Nice video Orcoz, I liked the ending!

Here is my last nights flight, was dead calm on my way home from a meeting, so I decided to pop into our local trout pond and try a flight. Mosquito's almost had me airborne myself so I never flew too long, but there was a couple of guys fishing I managed to get some flyovers of..

Light was low so it's not as sharp as it could be, music isn't the best fit and it was late when I edited so I never stabilized it either. Hence the youtube version, if I get time I'll deshake it later and find some better muzak and put it up on vimeo.

enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maJ5s93okkU
Your music is sure a lot better that some of that heavy metal hip hop rap crap that some put in their videos.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 01:18 PM
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
Finally!

Art - You'll be proud of me!

pan and tilt tracker_0001.wmv (3 min 31 sec)
Old Jul 19, 2011, 01:29 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,124 Posts
NIce one Orcoz !!!! this is a very special moment so enjoy it. I't great that the family got involved, you have a cool wife that was paying attention when she hit the record button. Hope you co-pilot get involved too !!!
My Boys think I'm an uncool geek ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
Don't leave home without Muskol if you want to fly in the evening. And don't drop the bottle on your foam plane

I think my aiptek is dead. Anybody bought a digital video recorder lately ?
Carguy.
-I have a JXD unit, it records OK but the recording quality is not great, it plays well on the recorder but the file you get out of it is not great for editing. I am actually planning to sell mine for a fistful of pennies.
-i recently bought this emprex I like it because of the one touch recording operation and there is no need for the remote control. however it seems to shorten the width of the picture ever so slightly.
-the FPVJAPAN unit is the best I have seen but I was put off by the price and the fact the unit is shipped from Japan without the batteries as there is a restriction on shipment, your batteries will come from the USA
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Jul 19, 2011, 01:35 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,782 Posts
Quote:
the FPVJAPAN unit is the best I have seen
Yes the price is a bummer but I want something reliable I can forget about it when I hit record. And not more expensive than 3 cheapo recorder you have to dunk because unreliable, doesn't record stativ or are poor quality.

Does the FPV Japan records through static ? Posted about it in the recorder tread, awaiting answer. If I could find a used aiptek MPVR, I'd be happy. Will look around that awhile, and will retry my aiptek to see if it can come back to life.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2011, 01:54 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Apr 2001
13,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacono Air View Post
Hey guy's, just a heads up...I will have some recent footage up soon. In the meantime I am Eagerly awaiting this>
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdId=EFL4625
NICE!
You shooting for the largest collection of SuperCubs west of the Mississippi?

I want a full flight report!
Art Newland is offline Find More Posts by Art Newland