Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:32 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
Nice floor.

All my quadcopter stuff is on the way. Motors, escs, and props will be here any day, stuff from HK... who knows. 8^) Although my last HK shippment arrived in 5 days.
Post pics of it in the kitchen

I'm very interested in this build and what you'll do with it. I think that for close FPV flying multi copters will be the ultimate machines.
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2011, 12:39 PM
Washougal, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Nice floor.

All my quadcopter stuff is on the way. Motors, escs, and props will be here any day, stuff from HK... who knows. 8^) Although my last HK shippment arrived in 5 days.
A new Noobie build thread is in order?
balsabuster2004 is offline Find More Posts by balsabuster2004
Old Jul 13, 2011, 12:53 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsabuster2004 View Post
A new Noobie build thread is in order?
Already a noobie tread in multi copters.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1433855

I'd say post it all here Art. We'll be noobs forever until someone tells us differently. Then we become pros. After all, it is a progression in FPv and it is always fun to see the trail one's follow. At least I like seeing your progression here and how the others are making it too.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by carguy1994ca; Jul 13, 2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 01:06 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Apr 2001
13,910 Posts
Still applies here, still a noob FPVer just a different way to haul the camera around.
Art Newland is offline Find More Posts by Art Newland
Old Jul 13, 2011, 07:34 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
Post pics of it in the kitchen

I'm very interested in this build and what you'll do with it. I think that for close FPV flying multi copters will be the ultimate machines.
OK, heres the quad so far... and the new floor in the kitchen.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 08:36 PM
Washougal, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Come on, Art - There must be more parts to it than that!
balsabuster2004 is offline Find More Posts by balsabuster2004
Old Jul 13, 2011, 09:10 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,855 Posts
Quote:
Yea, the floor is still bare wood !
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2011, 09:13 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,855 Posts
Quote:
Looks like an octo to me

Just went back from flying with the new plane. Awsome. The SC2000 cam is very good. I flew until sunset, was very nice.

May go flying with saucisse here on RCG this weekend. They fly along the St-Lawrence river, he sent me the link on google maps, pretty nice place. Hope weather will be good, we should be about 4 to fly.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2011, 09:31 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,910 Posts
Quote:
Well, I did say "so far". I'll admit it has a ways to go, as does the floor.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 09:33 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
Looks like an octo to me

Just went back from flying with the new plane. Awsome. The SC2000 cam is very good. I flew until sunset, was very nice.

May go flying with saucisse here on RCG this weekend. They fly along the St-Lawrence river, he sent me the link on google maps, pretty nice place. Hope weather will be good, we should be about 4 to fly.
Sounds like a good time... video I hope.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:59 PM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Nov 2004
666 Posts
Hk epp fpv

got a HK epp fpv from a flying friend....price was right....but what a lousy flying plane..took off maiden flight. Turns with aileron morphed into mostly knife edge flight due to the huge flat fuse forward of the wing. ...need to add lots of rudder mix to the ailerons..after about 2 minutes power died, control died and plane went down from about 150 feet...straight down like a dart..fast...hit a dry lake bed just beyond our weed jungle..expected to see a 6 foot plane reduced to 2 foot length.....huge surprise!!!!....broke the wing joiner rods....THATS ALL!!...darn, i didnt have a keychain on ...just would have loved to see how high it bounced!!..Attached is a pic of one of the 4 spar clamps...these saved the spars from splitting; not too hard to make

....found the heat shrink all split and shriveled up on the esc, so it must have got hot, also was using 2 2200 3 cells in parallel to power the SK3536-1400 turnigy motor that came with the plane..was running about 2/3 throttle.draws about 38 amps full blast, 10-5 eprop,...dont have any other big batts YET.. so maybe something is wrong with the power system setup....any hints will be welcome ..(besides get a better plane)
pkfoamer is offline Find More Posts by pkfoamer
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:20 PM
Oh so close!
Campbell River
Joined Jan 2010
702 Posts
I'm gonna stick my neck out and say that drawing 38 amps on a 40amp ESC is a recipe for disaster. I always leave at least a 10 amp safety buffer.

cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkfoamer View Post
got a HK epp fpv from a flying friend....price was right....but what a lousy flying plane..took off maiden flight. Turns with aileron morphed into mostly knife edge flight due to the huge flat fuse forward of the wing. ...need to add lots of rudder mix to the ailerons..after about 2 minutes power died, control died and plane went down from about 150 feet...straight down like a dart..fast...hit a dry lake bed just beyond our weed jungle..expected to see a 6 foot plane reduced to 2 foot length.....huge surprise!!!!....broke the wing joiner rods....THATS ALL!!...darn, i didnt have a keychain on ...just would have loved to see how high it bounced!!..Attached is a pic of one of the 4 spar clamps...these saved the spars from splitting; not too hard to make

....found the heat shrink all split and shriveled up on the esc, so it must have got hot, also was using 2 2200 3 cells in parallel to power the SK3536-1400 turnigy motor that came with the plane..was running about 2/3 throttle.draws about 38 amps full blast, 10-5 eprop,...dont have any other big batts YET.. so maybe something is wrong with the power system setup....any hints will be welcome ..(besides get a better plane)
clipper99 is offline Find More Posts by clipper99
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:54 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,910 Posts
PK, if you measured the current at 38 amps, as long as you had good airflow over the esc, you should've been ok. Gotta agree with Clipper, overkill on the esc is a good thing. You might want to try aileron differential, might help it fly better.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:01 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,910 Posts
I read through the noob quadcopter thread, complicated controller! I ordered a programmer for KK board so I can update the HK controller, sounds like the newest firmware is very good.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:02 AM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Nov 2004
666 Posts
HK EPP FPV crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipper99 View Post
I'm gonna stick my neck out and say that drawing 38 amps on a 40amp ESC is a recipe for disaster. I always leave at least a 10 amp safety buffer.

cheers
good observation....i lifted the esc out of a 48 inch extra300 that was using 1 2200 cell..and low kv motor..so i cobbled up this setup and looks like i got what i deserved. Jim said he was using a 4 cell (didnt say what size and didnt mention the esc size he used) when he flew the plane...
pkfoamer is offline Find More Posts by pkfoamer