HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2011, 01:07 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
Saw the turnigy 9 yesterday, smooth gimballs, I was surprised. It was hooked up to a dragonlink. The re ceiver is very small, great ! Seems to work like a charm. Mine is in Quebec city now, an hour from here. Should have it tomorrow ? Fingers crossed
Cool, LRS in your new Striker.
Art Newland is offline Find More Posts by Art Newland
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2011, 01:11 AM
Washougal, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkfoamer View Post
need to put my #11 sideways on my wasp and see what that looks like....looks like a wing seat on a jet, especially during landing....look out the window and watch the ail thrash up and down approaching chicago (in my old working days) during a windy day!!!!
Reminds me of flying in and out of Las Vegas in very bumpy air.
balsabuster2004 is offline Find More Posts by balsabuster2004
Old Jul 11, 2011, 07:54 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
Cool, LRS in your new Striker.
I was thinking of trying the DL in the glider, but eventually I'll buy another receiver to have one in each plane. The glider has a much longer flight time for long range, and the Stryker can't carry more juic than for a 10 minute ride, although an OSD and some gliding at altitude would lenghten the flight time, the stryker is more fun closer to the ground

A big plane like the skywalker would be best for long distance: Power and good glide ratio with a big tank for electrons. 10 % off at RMRC.
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV week end with friends
Old Jul 11, 2011, 08:37 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,955 Posts
Quote:
I was amazed with the Flytron LED strobe. Even in very bright sunlight I could see it flashing from 5-600 feet up. I flew the 109 as high as I could and still see it.
Glad to hear that Art - I have yet to find the one I bought, I stuck it away somewhere so I could find it easily.. (I do that a lot)

I have the lumifly navigation set on my big bird, it works great in darker conditions, reg/green are always on and a flashing white led I have on the front lower nose. I've ordered another clear/white flytron, as well as a green and a red one, I think I may put all three on the next big AP ship I build, or I may go with something like the HK Bixler for flyout out further and put them on that.
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old Jul 11, 2011, 08:57 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,737 Posts
Will be interesting to see if the colored versions are as easily seen. I ordered two of them, only received one, but he's supposed to put another in the mail to me today... Turkey is a long way from here!
Old Jul 11, 2011, 01:01 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,089 Posts
Quote:
Motors-esc-couple of 3s-2200's. $175
HK frame and controller board. $ 42
Props. 2-sets. $20
Plus some shipping.
Nice, will come under 300 $. I'll follow the build with interest. Now when I'm taking a walk or driving in town, I can't help but taking mental note of places where I could fly one of these things, and how I would do it to make a video. It is much easier to mneuver in a small place than a plane and can do some interesting video paning. I think it's a must have for AP and video.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2011, 01:42 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,737 Posts
My plan is to use the 9X with telemetry to monitor RSSI and battery voltage.

Looks like some good info on the HK KK controller;
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1448802

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1458663
Old Jul 11, 2011, 02:04 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,089 Posts
Looks like they have some probs with the programming ? Are ou planning to build it soon ?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2011, 02:10 PM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,955 Posts
Quote:
My plan is to use the 9X with telemetry to monitor RSSI and battery voltage.

Looks like some good info on the HK KK controller;
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1448802

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1458663
I definitely want to add a multi-copter to my fleet, and like CG keep taking mental notes of where I could fly with one that would be difficult with my plane. Plus the added advantage of being able to hone my skills better just sitting on my deck, inside our big rec facility in the winter time, possibly even in the house..

Looking forward to seeing how your build progresses Art, I'm not sure which direction I'm going to take, but right now I am leaning towards the plug and play multiwii controller these guys carry and either a prefab frame or a DIY frame like Mike made over on the multi-copter board. (the same Mike that designed my big AP ship)

Nothing is decided at this point though, there are lots of threads on multi rotor machines so lots of reading to do yet. My older kids also got me a $100 gift card to a hobby shop in the city, and this hobby shop just happens to carry the Guai 330x .. sooo tempting
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old Jul 11, 2011, 03:03 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,737 Posts
in all honesty, I'm expecting the HK frame to be of low quality, but for 12 bucks was worth a shot in the dark. The controller however should be very useable, and there is already upgraded firmware available to make it work better. Like usual I'm going cheap first, learning some, then going from there. Plug and play is good, but I like to tinker. 8^)
Although my home project has 2-3 weeks left until completion, a lot of the work will be handled by some pros, I should have some free time to assemble the quad and see what it's all about. I've flown helis, should be similar controls.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 03:56 PM
Oklahoma City
Joined May 2004
1,661 Posts
Quote:
...Like usual I'm going cheap first, learning some, then going from there. Plug and play is good, but I like to tinker. 8^)...
Art...You are wise. I have wasted much $$ on these multicopters. I should have taken my time and done it your way.

You can make a basic quad frame with 2 ply plates and 4 basswood or poplar arms. Some people use aluminum towel rods from Lowes. 2 screws into the arm will hold the motor.
MorrisM is offline Find More Posts by MorrisM
Old Jul 11, 2011, 05:10 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,089 Posts
Art, on the SC2000 OSD camera, there is a 3 wires connector to conenct the VTx with the supplied cable. Just beside this 3 wires connector, there is a 4 wires connector. That one matches the connector on my striker's wiring harness but there is nothing in the instructions as to what wire goes where in the connector. Any idea ? I got the same model as you have.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2011, 05:28 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
Art, on the SC2000 OSD camera, there is a 3 wires connector to conenct the VTx with the supplied cable. Just beside this 3 wires connector, there is a 4 wires connector. That one matches the connector on my striker's wiring harness but there is nothing in the instructions as to what wire goes where in the connector. Any idea ? I got the same model as you have.
The joystick buttons for navigating the OSD maybe?

I'll look when I get home.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 05:30 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisM View Post
Art...You are wise. I have wasted much $$ on these multicopters. I should have taken my time and done it your way.

You can make a basic quad frame with 2 ply plates and 4 basswood or poplar arms. Some people use aluminum towel rods from Lowes. 2 screws into the arm will hold the motor.
Yes, the frames on these things don't look like rocket science.

Thought about making my own motors, but they are too cheap these days...
Old Jul 11, 2011, 07:34 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,089 Posts
Quote:
Thought about making my own motors, but they are too cheap these days...

Quote:
The joystick buttons for navigating the OSD maybe?
Nope, there is a multipin connector for the OSD board, a 3 pin for their VTx connector and a 4 pin connector.

Also if using the 3 pin, I should understand that white is ground, red is positive and yellow is video ?
RCG Plus Member