HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2011, 08:20 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,962 Posts
thanks CG - I never set up the sensitivity settings yet, but I think I'll leave it on the default and experiment from there. Not sure about the barrel connectors etc., but it sounds like it should be fine. I am going to make up a harness as well so I can power the two rx's and EE from one battery, but I'll leave the Haier on it's own power, as it should hold a charge easily longer than any time I'll be in the air. I have three 500mah batteries now, one for each component, and flying for 15 minutes or so barely takes the two rx batteries down at all, so I'm thinking a 1800-2200mah or so should be plenty. Not sure how much the EE will consume though, but I'm thinking not much with no OSD etc, and only feeding one screen. I do want to get some goggles at some point though, so people can "go for a ride" etc.
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2011, 08:24 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,901 Posts
Wonder if I need a fuse for each barrel connector (each item powered by the GS battery) ?
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2011, 08:30 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Apr 2001
13,923 Posts
I can't imagine why that wouldn't be ok.

I had a busy weekend, the flying weather was on-off and the weatherman did a poor job prognosticating. All the plans to fly had poor weather. I did grab a couple of LOS flights late in the evening Monday just to get a flying fix. 8^)
Art Newland is offline Find More Posts by Art Newland
Old May 31, 2011, 08:48 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
Wonder if I need a fuse for each barrel connector (each item powered by the GS battery) ?
At least with a fuse for each component of the GS, the entire GS wouldn't go dead if a fuse blew.
Old May 31, 2011, 08:52 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
At least with a fuse for each component of the GS, the entire GS wouldn't go dead if a fuse blew.
My thoughts too, sure don't want the lipo to go in smoke while I am 3000 feet away But is it necessary ? What would you do ? I'll follow the tech's advice
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2011, 02:37 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,923 Posts
My GS only has a fuse in the main wiring from the battery. As long as your wiring job is neat and tidy, I think the likelyhood of something shorting out is pretty small. That being said, a GS re-do is in order for me now that I know a little more what I want, I might change the fuse options. 8^)
Old May 31, 2011, 06:55 PM
RC = FUN
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Joined Aug 2008
3,634 Posts
Could I use this:

http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...roducts_id=216

and just use one video in and get two video out? Thanks! -Tyler
flyboy321 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy321
Old May 31, 2011, 09:26 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy321 View Post
Could I use this:

http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...roducts_id=216

and just use one video in and get two video out? Thanks! -Tyler
Yes, it does have two video out ports. There cheaper video splitters on eBay if you don't need the diversity.
Old Jun 01, 2011, 12:46 AM
Certifiable
USA, CO, Dacono
Joined Aug 2009
1,857 Posts
Hey all! I trust everyone had time to fly with the nice long weekend...weather permitting of course.
Were still getting pretty unsettled weather over here, now into the late spring turbulent weather...winter's not going out without a fight!
I've got new Video!...and things are a bit different, In a nutshell I made a trip to the family's wilderness getaway...which is not flyer freindly -Tree's - Wind - and really no place to land. the only thing I have flown up there is the slow stick, and that didn't turn out so well for me last year.
Weekend Summit (5 min 8 sec)

PS:I really have to hand it to you better video editors out there, I dont know how ya'll get your nicely done video's done so quick..kudo's!
Dacono Air is offline Find More Posts by Dacono Air
Last edited by Dacono Air; Jun 01, 2011 at 01:08 AM. Reason: additional
Old Jun 01, 2011, 07:37 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,901 Posts
Quote:
PS:I really have to hand it to you better video editors out there, I dont know how ya'll get your nicely done video's done so quick..kudo's!
QUICK ? It takes me at least 3 hours per video to edit

Maybe I'm just crazy, but I must say I like it a lot . Of course I could shave about 20 min of that if I didn't have Vista on my PC

Dacono, you're still teasing me with that westfalia...putting it in the front of your vid like that
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2011, 08:18 AM
Certifiable
USA, CO, Dacono
Joined Aug 2009
1,857 Posts
Gotta love them westy's..slow but a sure thing...3 hours is half the time it took me to do this last video. Wishfull thinking i know, but wouldn't it be great if someone made a video editor that did everything..and didn't crash every 15 minutes..lol.
Old Jun 01, 2011, 08:28 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacono Air View Post
Gotta love them westy's..slow but a sure thing...3 hours is half the time it took me to do this last video. Wishfull thinking i know, but wouldn't it be great if someone made a video editor that did everything..and didn't crash every 15 minutes..lol.
lol ! So I'm not the only one who has problem with this kind of software...Nice vid BTW. I wanted a summit truck since they came out, but couldn't commit to buying one with the planes projects. Then wanted one for FPV after seeing wobby's videos. And then the quadcopters video came in...

EDIT: You had snow ??? And also, what range do you get with the FPV and RC with that thing (in the tree was th RC antenna right ?)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by carguy1994ca; Jun 01, 2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old Jun 01, 2011, 09:35 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,901 Posts
Compact GS

Guys check this out, it is what I call portable !: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1446865
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2011, 09:58 AM
Certifiable
USA, CO, Dacono
Joined Aug 2009
1,857 Posts
Wobby sure has some great video's...Thats what sold me on the summit, but back then sticker shock kept me away. I picked up the summit used off Craigslist for half of what new cost's.
I have'nt tried any long range runs yet, yep - the antenna strung in the tree is a coax dipole (bazooka i think they call it), The improvised antenna worked better than I expected. The limiting factor will be that the radio for the summit is AM 72mhz band, and if I remember correctly back in the day my first RC cars were AM and they were extremely successible to RF hits and glitches.
I actually was amazed that the VTX doesn't bother it, the longest distance I ran this weekend was probably about 300-400 feet with no gltches so now that i'm back home I'll take it out to the field and give it a run out and see how far it will go.
On a side note: The runtime on the summit on a single charge (twin 4600 Nimh Batt's) is just over an hour with conservative throttle management, I have..many..many 20-plus minute video's to sort through!..oops..I best keep the recorded video segments under 10 minutes in the future, it just makes editing that much easier.
And...Yep...Thats Snow!
Old Jun 01, 2011, 11:45 AM
Certifiable
USA, CO, Dacono
Joined Aug 2009
1,857 Posts
I may have been a bit overzealous in my description of the night time recording ability of the SC2000 cam I mentioned a while back, It does record in the twilight exceptionaly well, but at full Dark (pitch black) it's a no-go.
The SC2000 cam should have a fairly good picture in ambient light however, such as a moonlit night or the glow of town lights.
Case in point: I went traipsing through the forest with the Summit at full dark and if it weren't for the headlights I wouldn't have seen a thing...lol...Video's coming soon...it was so cool!
The video is creepy-cool, Kinda like the shots in "Blair Witch Project" - Imagine 2 grown kid's in their 40's, glued to a 32" flatscreen in a camper - full dark, watching as the summit creeps through the forest. if something had run across the screen we would'a lost our cool and filled our shorts for sure! lol.