HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 30, 2011, 11:56 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,332 Posts
HK package at the post office. Eagle eye is in the box, new toys to play with this week
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2011, 12:42 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,332 Posts
I am ordering a second receiver for diversity and would like to upgrade the omni antenna that comes with it. Would this be much superior to the small whip that usually comes with the receiver ? There is a 3dbi and 5 dbi. The transmitter will still be fitted with the "V" antenna.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2011, 12:56 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Apr 2001
13,976 Posts
I thought I might try a rubber-ducky on my diversity next time i get the chance. I would think if you want the omni for in close and behind the patch, the 3db would be best, but I have no experiance with it. I think the higher db give a "flatter" receiving area, the lesser db a more spherical pattern... am I correct?
Art Newland is offline Find More Posts by Art Newland
Old May 30, 2011, 02:20 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
I thought I might try a rubber-ducky on my diversity next time i get the chance. I would think if you want the omni for in close and behind the patch, the 3db would be best, but I have no experiance with it. I think the higher db give a "flatter" receiving area, the lesser db a more spherical pattern... am I correct?
This is exactly how I have it. I follow the same flight pattern as you do. I generally fly in front of me so the patch takes care of long distances in that direction. the whip takes care of whatever flying I do in an area of about 500m around me. that works great if I drift behind me or, on the take off and landing runs.
I am very pleased with that combination
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old May 30, 2011, 03:19 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,332 Posts
Great, thanks guys, that is exactly how I'll use the thing (like RCm said). So tonigh I'll order the 3dbi ducky. I should have it friday. Now the dilemma: 99 $ for a 500 mw Vtx/Rx for longer distance, or the 200 mw combo for only 69 $ ? I want another tx too for the glider. Will the 500 mw give a lot more range ? I know distance it is not directly proportional to power output of Vtx, but what gain in distance can I get with the 500 mw ?
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2011, 03:26 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
Joined Sep 2003
6,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
Great, thanks guys, that is exactly how I'll use the thing (like RCm said). So tonigh I'll order the 3dbi ducky. I should have it friday. Now the dilemma: 99 $ for a 500 mw Vtx/Rx for longer distance, or the 200 mw combo for only 69 $ ? I want another tx too for the glider. Will the 500 mw give a lot more range ? I know distance it is not directly proportional to power output of Vtx, but what gain in distance can I get with the 500 mw ?
well this is not a real reflection on the power , All I can tell is that I have a 800mw 1.2 ghz and I get just under 1km range with the supplied aerials on the plane and the standard one on the VRX. I bought mine from BEVRC http://www.bevrc.com/bev-13g-800mw-t...r-fpv-p-8.html

they have a good service and I am happy with them
Old May 30, 2011, 03:33 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmonster99 View Post
well this is not a real reflection on the power , All I can tell is that I have a 800mw 1.2 ghz and I get just under 1km range with the supplied aerials on the plane and the standard one on the VRX. I bought mine from BEVRC http://www.bevrc.com/bev-13g-800mw-t...r-fpv-p-8.html

they have a good service and I am happy with them
But how far do you go with your patch ? The small whip don't give me very good performance on the Stryker, but were better on the AXN, IIRC.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2011, 06:08 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,332 Posts
Ordered the security 2000 osd camera (same as Art) and NGhobbies Rx and Tx 200 mW combo. Should receive the rx and Tx friday, would like to try diversity this week end if. Wife is working on saturday, I am all alone for the day
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2011, 08:13 PM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Nov 2004
671 Posts
new white thing in fairview park

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJhoPR3xg4U

about 1:43 in the utube countup there is a very suspicious white item in the bushes....can you find it????
pkfoamer is offline Find More Posts by pkfoamer
Old May 30, 2011, 09:26 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkfoamer View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJhoPR3xg4U

about 1:43 in the utube countup there is a very suspicious white item in the bushes....can you find it????
Yes, siree, Bob ! And not far from wheere you stood, did you go see what it was ? Gives me an idea for an FPV meeting: The organizers hide a white thing and then a "first to find the white thing wins something" event can be held.

Between FPV technique, bears, dogs, white things, and great images of various land, this forum offers plenty for the RC and nature enthousiast
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2011, 09:42 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Apr 2001
13,976 Posts
So that's where the white thing went!

Interesting use of the patch antenna... 8^)
Art Newland is offline Find More Posts by Art Newland
Old May 30, 2011, 10:36 PM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Nov 2004
671 Posts
white thing

if you quickly diddle the pause/run icon around that time frame, it gets tp a real good shape like a cross.....not a blob ....pretty good cross....i have kind of made a map and scaled the distances and will look there tomorrow....
it is about the right size for a plane compared to somebody that is walking down a path to the east.
patch ant is on the ground with a 12 a/v cord to the box on the table. .worked real good today....had a guy look in the box and check for dropouts...there were a couple of real quick ones when i went behind the patch, but were real short,,,kind of blink length...maybe the dipole went behind something......but didnt do fpv, ;too much breeze for slo stick and it seemed tail heavy and barely flyable for some reason....working it over right now....also i had the #11 mounted about 1/2 way down the slo stick wing to get away from the prop image....well i ended up with a shaky video due to the wing flexing during flight...especially noticeable when slightly diving and picking up speed....people bitched about the prop,,,,so i guess they will have to keep complaining...
pkfoamer is offline Find More Posts by pkfoamer
Old May 31, 2011, 01:26 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
I am ordering a second receiver for diversity and would like to upgrade the omni antenna that comes with it. Would this be much superior to the small whip that usually comes with the receiver ? There is a 3dbi and 5 dbi. The transmitter will still be fitted with the "V" antenna.
I had plans of running my blu beam CP antenna on my 2nd rx, then I scrunched it when I forgot to take it off the rx when I was transporting the ground station and the board pulled out of its screw and landed upside down on my truck seat when I was taking it out. Gently bent it back to what I thought it should look like, but it never worked very well, I was getting black screens on the haier not that far out. Which brings me to my 2nd point, make sure you set up the diversity on the EE correctly, I was wondering why I black screened when I was right out in front of my bi-quad, when I landed I powered off the 2nd rx and screen went to no signal, it turns out the EE was just set up to use the one rx, and not for diversity (as a more careful read of the instructions made that clear)

So now I will try to see if I can salvage the CP antenna, in the mean time use the cloverleaf on the 2nd rx. I was hoping to use the cloverleaf in place of the Vee for some flights, as Alex says the CP on the rx and CL on the tx are one of the best combos out there.

Anyway, I had a short flight, mostly to test my zi8 along side the gopro, the zi8 fared poorly as you can see it on the right side of the video below, but I think it is too tall and wide to be put so close to the props wash like that, the jello was terrible. You can see the jello stop when I power down for a couple of seconds on landing approach.

ps. ignore my "dumb thumb" moment out over the water, and the light standard that I came a lot closer to than I realized..

Go Pro Hero and Kodak zi8 on same plane (3 min 39 sec)
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old May 31, 2011, 03:17 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
Joined Sep 2003
6,272 Posts
All this lovely flying on the weekend...rain and wind here are making my thumbs twitchy.

Regarding the patch,well I cannot answer very well I know I can get in excess of 2km but I never fly beyond that. I have a vee on the plane and an 8db patch and always get a clear video
Old May 31, 2011, 09:07 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,332 Posts
Nice flight Glenstr. I got time to read the EE instructions this morning, sure took me a couple of passes to understand the menus. What value did you assign to diversity sensibility, I was thinking trying with the middle value (default) and see from there.

I'll have some power cable to rig to plug all the GS equipment on the 3S battery. At a minimum I need to power the EE, 2 receivers and the goggles. I'd like to add the Haier too.

Is it OK if I solder 3 or 4 barrel plug wires in parallel to a connector that can plug in the battery ? Battery is a 3S 5000 mAh lipo, should be plenty.
RCG Plus Member