SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 16, 2011, 08:50 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Apr 2001
13,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
You're a real pro Art, it even says so on the ruler ! You're patch dimension looks bigger than mine (bought), at least the base plate. I tought they would have the same dimension since they are for same freq ?
Ha, never really noticed that before. Don't know about pro, but it is definitely a "work of Art".

The way I understand it, the commercially available patch antennas are pretty generic size-wise, they want them to all fit in the same size plastic housing. Mostly they cheat on the size of the reflector, because it's the largest part. Actually, the reflector on this patch is a bit small because I couldnt source the proper size sheet metal, but it's darn close. 8^)
Art Newland is online now Find More Posts by Art Newland
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2011, 08:58 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmonster99 View Post
yeah... it even says so on the steel ruler photo #2

I guess it is difficult to compare sizes but check the size against the Dremel, that box is not that big...
I don't know why I am thinking this used to be a barbie doll carrier . I almost expect it to be pink instead of transparent
The reflector is 12 inches square. It is the IBC Easy Patch.
I was seriously considering a "Lego" container, but it was slightly too small. I would've used a barbie doll carrier if it would've worked better... Pink or not!
Old May 16, 2011, 09:28 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,814 Posts
My patch is the size of the upper plate of his patch. Judging by the dremel size.

I'd shoot for playmobil, that's what my daughter uses to keep hers I used to keep legos in an old suitcase. Long trail from legos to FPV
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old May 16, 2011, 09:29 AM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Nov 2004
666 Posts
goof proof ant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
Ha, never really noticed that before. Don't know about pro, but it is definitely a "work of Art".

The way I understand it, the commercially available patch antennas are pretty generic size-wise, they want them to all fit in the same size plastic housing. Mostly they cheat on the size of the reflector, because it's the largest part. Actually, the reflector on this patch is a bit small because I couldnt source the proper size sheet metal, but it's darn close. 8^)
I built the "goof proof ant" by scaling the 2.4 ghz dims up to 910 mhz like he directed. He does get extreme in that he says to "cut the pattern on the outside edges of the lines". Mine is not perfect since i cut right down the middle of the lines!!!. The "perfect" dims turned out to be 11.16 horz and 11.15 vert for the big plate. I dont think you can tell any difference between a 11 inch or 11.5 or whatever patch, cant be that critical. Seems to work good. Will try a long range flight with both the whip and the patch and see if i can tell any difference.
pkfoamer is offline Find More Posts by pkfoamer
Old May 16, 2011, 09:38 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,909 Posts
The size of the active element is crucial, the reflector, not so much.

At 2.4G it is more important.
Old May 16, 2011, 09:55 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,814 Posts
Art, are you saying that a home built patch is better than a commercial one because they make compromise ? If so I'll build the next one !

What did you think of the music in my last vid ?
RCG Plus Member
Old May 16, 2011, 01:01 PM
Washougal, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
Oops!

Left 2 cell lipo for vid transmitter hooked up all night. Total voltage down to 1.6 volts. 1320 mAh battery took 1380 mAh charge. Looks like I lucked out again!
balsabuster2004 is offline Find More Posts by balsabuster2004
Old May 16, 2011, 01:48 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsabuster2004 View Post
Left 2 cell lipo for vid transmitter hooked up all night. Total voltage down to 1.6 volts. 1320 mAh battery took 1380 mAh charge. Looks like I lucked out again!
No sweat...just charge it as if it was a NiCad pack at low current (0.5A) when the battery reaches about 3V per cell then you can stop the Nicad charging method and then start the standard lipo charging method.
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old May 16, 2011, 02:34 PM
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
Yeah, that's what i did. (not the 1st time I've done that)
Old May 16, 2011, 03:09 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmonster99 View Post
No sweat...just charge it as if it was a NiCad pack at low current (0.5A) when the battery reaches about 3V per cell then you can stop the Nicad charging method and then start the standard lipo charging method.
Didn't know that, and the battery works good or you see some loss in performance ? Will it work with a battery I tought dead for a year but didn't trow away yet (I know, I know, why did I keep it ???) ?
RCG Plus Member
Old May 16, 2011, 04:12 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,126 Posts
Quote:
Didn't know that, and the battery works good or you see some loss in performance ? Will it work with a battery I tought dead for a year but didn't trow away yet (I know, I know, why did I keep it ???) ?
the chances are that battery will have recovered some voltage on it's own. you never know it might work.
I think the battery would have lost some performance because it has been fully discharged but maybe it will not be noticeable
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old May 16, 2011, 08:47 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,909 Posts
Quote:
Art, are you saying that a home built patch is better than a commercial one because they make compromise ? If so I'll build the next one !

What did you think of the music in my last vid ?
That lite jazzy stuff is OK, I can take it or leave it, not really my thing.

If you build your own antenna, you can build it to your specific frequency.
Old May 16, 2011, 09:01 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsabuster2004 View Post
I hope you weren't running around in your underwear broadcasting all over the neighborhood!
Old May 16, 2011, 09:02 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,909 Posts
What did you think of the diversity? I couldn't tell at all when it was switching and the video splitter seemed to work great.
Old May 16, 2011, 10:31 PM
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
I hope you weren't running around in your underwear broadcasting all over the neighborhood!
I must not look too bad in my underwear, because I haven't heard any complaints yet!