Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 22, 2011, 12:06 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
I may get a chance to fly tonight, maybe Saturday too. Maybe Chuck and I might go on a mission?
White thing ?

You could flim yourself while you work on the diswasher, or repeir it FPV: Put the cam on your head and watch what you do in the goggles

On the last cam I bought, the buttons are on the back of the cam and menus are OSD. Didn't play with it, am quite happy with the default settongs. The cam is heavier than the other one I lost. Now that the snow is almost melted, I wonder if someone will find my AXN ? Would look like a white thing right now...
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV week end with friends
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2011, 02:07 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,743 Posts
Do you think your AXN could've gotten this far?
Is there a reward?
8^)
Art Newland is online now Find More Posts by Art Newland
Old Apr 22, 2011, 02:09 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,743 Posts
It's very nice out today, if it continues to be this nice I'll try and go fly, if it gets windy I'll play with the new camera.

Carguy, what camera do you have now?
Old Apr 22, 2011, 03:46 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
Do you think your AXN could've gotten this far?
Is there a reward?
8^)
Wind was blowing the other way...maybe it is in Europe or China now. It was veeery windy that day

Camera is this and look like this.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:22 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Apr 2008
920 Posts
I wrecked my plane today. Nothing a little Welders wont fix. I was more worried about bending the contacts on the DragonLink RX and the GoPro; those are both healthy.
I was testing out my 1.28 patch antennae tuned per IBCrazy's instructions. I was flying by eye, but was recording video at the base station to look for any video dropouts; still haven't reviewed it. I was preparing to do a low fast pass and was trying to step over another plane to get in the shot. When I looked up, it was too late to pull up. I'll post the video in a bit. Damn.
Kerbob is offline Find More Posts by Kerbob
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:39 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,743 Posts
Dang Kerbob, sorry to hear (and see) it, but does look very repairable. Should make for some interesting video.

Played with the new OSD camera a little bit;
first test of OSD camera (3 min 5 sec)
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:51 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,743 Posts
BTW Kerbob, I was gonna mention maybe taking that GoPro off the nose and putting a $50 security cam on it until you get some stick time FPV... I realize you are a competent flyer and all, but it really is different than flying LOS. It's a big sky! 8^)
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:32 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Apr 2008
920 Posts
Art,
I'm thinking the same thing. The GoPro is made to handle a lot of repetitive high force impacts, but there's no need to test. I'm also reconsidering replacing my OEM GoPro lens with a flat lens. Maybe I'll use a regular cam for FPV and record with the GoPro. By the way.. the plane has made a full recovery.

All,
Whats the group consensus? Best value FPV cam for the money?

Here's my first FPV flight with goggles. I'm sure I'll hear about this from the club members.
First FPV Flight with Goggles (11 min 34 sec)
Old Apr 23, 2011, 12:11 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,743 Posts
So what was your impression of your first goggle flight?

How much do you want to spend? Do you want something FPV ready? Or a security camera that you'll have to adapt?
Old Apr 23, 2011, 12:14 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,743 Posts
Slow Stick Being readied for a mission...

Using the non-patented Art-Co Swap-a-matic wiring harness to quickly move video gear from Senorita to Slow stick.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 03:09 AM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Apr 2008
920 Posts
Art,
I don't mind tweaking/modding at all; that's a good part of the fun. I want something with very good contrast management and a narrower PoV. I've got a 12v power line up to the TX already, so I would prefer 12v.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 03:16 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,955 Posts
awesome flight Kerbob, looked to me like it was quite a wind coming from behind you all that time, in no time flat you'd be way down there and it seemed like quite a battle (at times) making headway back to your field.
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old Apr 23, 2011, 10:29 AM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Apr 2008
920 Posts
You're exactly right Glenstr. One benefit of the windy weather and bad forecast was that I had the field to myself.

Here's the video of my FPV plane crashing. I was flying LOS because I was testing a new patch panel and had the camcorder recording the feed on the ground. Notice how bad the contrast management is on the GoPro at times; almost a complete blackout. Also, in this video and all others I've posted, you can really see how the EPP-FPV has NO self-stabilization, you have to fly it the ENTIRE time. Also, you have to coordinate turns with mixed rudder-aileron and even then, it slides through the turns. I thought this was going to be good at first, but its starting to get a bit frustrating. When I turn on Pan/Tilt mode, my left stick becomes Pan/Tilt and this is not easy to fly without the rudder. Maybe I need a different plane. The plane is completely patched up from this wreck now. One benefit of this plane is that it seems to be fairly resilient to high winds which is hard to find.
EPP FPV Flight Crash (4 min 33 sec)
Old Apr 23, 2011, 10:59 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,743 Posts
Mission #1... CHECK!
Mission #2... TBA
Old Apr 23, 2011, 12:54 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,102 Posts
Kerbob, congrats for your first goggle flight, and sorry you crashed your plane. Doesn't seem too bad hopefully. Personnally really like the FoV of the gopro, but I find that it becomes quite dark when facing the cloudy sky. You really have a nice place to fly and I'd love to fly over there, lots of interesting place to investigate with FPV. You seemed to have a good video link. How far is the end of that peninsula, about 2000 feet ?

If you are relying on the fact that you can remove your goggles to find your plane in the sky and regain control of it, be very carefull. That white plane against the grey sky will be very tough to find, and you'll be blinded by the light when you remove the goggles. Ask me how I know When I lost the AXN, it was in the same conditions you were flying your first goggles flight. I was using the monitor, and even though the plane wasn't far, when I lost video link I never saw it even though I could hear the motor. Wind carried it away very fast...

That was a nice video, keep them coming !
RCG Plus Member