HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:50 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Apr 2001
13,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
Humm, looks like you are a lot better tech than me Cut to smaller size than what you sent me, so this means I can cut mine to size ? Sorry if this sounds dumb, but I just don't want to mess it up
I don't think it matters much how big the perf-board is, it just doesn't need to be as big as the full sized piece I sent you.
Art Newland is offline Find More Posts by Art Newland
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:53 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,369 Posts
Thanks a lot ! I'll do it tonight and report back !
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 Carguy FPV year
Old Mar 23, 2011, 12:19 PM
USA, TN, Fayetteville
Joined Dec 2004
878 Posts
Yup, all boxes are open now Wife looks worried :P

The weather has turned pretty, and I'm really itching to fly... but the only plane I had ready to go is the Micro Champ... Laugh... So, I've been working on getting some non-FPV planes ready to fly. I like a bit more on my PZ T28 and I've started working on the WD4 which is going to be my FPV plane. I've also got one of those Senoritas in the box... I'll have pics when I steal the camera back from the wife...

carguy: Yeah, I guess soon... Laugh... I'm not really sure... I'm working on getting the plane together now... figuring out how all the bits fit together and going back over this thread to make sure I don't miss anything I need to do... There's seem to be so much to do, check and test before my first FPV flight...
madmike8 is offline Find More Posts by madmike8
Old Mar 23, 2011, 02:31 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike8 View Post
... There's seem to be so much to do, check and test before my first FPV flight...
That's what I felt too at first. It did go well though. I am sure if you are already carefull with your usual RC installation the FPV part will go well. Little steps are the way to go.

I think that the more important part when launching for your first FPV flight is doing your RC range check, record the FPV cam images and fly LOS. If the plane is flyable in the usual manner, then look at the recording you made, and if there is no glitch then your all set to try it FPV. I'd recommend a spotter or bodybox first, although I didn't do it that way.

Now go fly !
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:48 PM
USA, TN, Fayetteville
Joined Dec 2004
878 Posts
Hey Art... Do you have some pics of how you have your headplays mounted in the goggles? Did you get the goggles and cover from rob38 or just the cover? What do you think about them?
Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:55 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,978 Posts
Quote:
Hey Art... Do you have some pics of how you have your headplays mounted in the goggles? Did you get the goggles and cover from rob38 or just the cover? What do you think about them?
Yes, I have some at home, can post this evening. I bought my goggles locally. I haven't had a chance to fly with them since installing in Rob38 mask, but spent some time watching video in them, seems to be a great improvement, much better than my jacket over my head.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:57 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,978 Posts
Just got an email from a fellow that owns a large farm close to me, "sure Art you can fly here anytime". 8^)
Old Mar 23, 2011, 04:44 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
Just got an email from a fellow that owns a large farm close to me, "sure Art you can fly here anytime". 8^)
Lucky you ! Low flying over marmots ?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 23, 2011, 05:23 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,978 Posts
cows, sheep...
Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:28 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,978 Posts
Quote:
Here is a link from the pictures I posted in Rob's thread. If you want something specific, LMK.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=356
Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:50 PM
USA, TN, Fayetteville
Joined Dec 2004
878 Posts
Thanks... that's what I was looking for... What do you have in mind for your headtracker mounting?
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:03 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,978 Posts
Quote:
Thanks... that's what I was looking for... What do you have in mind for your headtracker mounting?
I've thought about it a bit, don't know for sure. Too bad a flat surface isn't molded into the mask.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:16 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,369 Posts
Inverted V assembly

OK, assembled the inverted V tonight. It works ! But I noticed that as soon as I touch one of the element I loose the signal. Also, it will lose signal if a metallic object is close enough, like my soldering gun. Maybe normal I guess. What bugs me is mostly as soon as the object is removed the signal is Ok again, but sometimes I have to move the plane to aquire signal again. Is this normal ? I'm not talking static, but "no signal" on the Haier. It doesn't do anything if I shake the thing tought, signal stays solid as long as I don't touch the elements or bring something metallic very near them.

Art, could you take a look at my "V" and tell me if my soldering is OK ? I'll do it again if not good enough. Thanks.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2011, 04:31 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
Art, could you take a look at my "V" and tell me if my soldering is OK ? I'll do it again if not good enough. Thanks.
I think you may experience problems because of the board where you soldered the elements. try scraping the round copper dots from the board as they are metal objects that can influence the radiation pattern of the aerial .

I used a similar board and I used the smallest possible size scraping the copper tracks not in contact with the aerial elements.

also measure carefully. the length of the elements has to be measured from the point where the cable shield leaves the internal wire, right on the split. on that basis your black wire is shorter than your white one (roughly measured on the screen)

when you touch the aerial you are grounding the transmitter so I would expect the picture to go. pointing the aerial to metal objects ? I don't know what effect this would have, I expect multipath interference specially if the object is close to the aerial.
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Mar 24, 2011, 05:10 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,302 Posts
By the way, here is a video of my tough and go's with my Ursus from last weekend

Ursus touch and go (5 min 20 sec)
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99