HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:22 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,089 Posts
Nice vid RC Monster, and funny !

The video tread is a must see lately, those wing are fast, and the guy flying the sky something makes cool vids, very nimble plane ! Can't wait to try the Stryker ! You didn't tell me what your AUW is ?

I'm on you with google. The football fiel that was at the location is not on the map. And there is no snow...
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV week end with friends
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:23 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,089 Posts
While looking at the tread on the Quebec big FPV meeting planned for this summer, I found some guys that fly FPV and who live between 1 and 2 hours from me. We plan to fly togheter sometime this summer. Will be fun ! I always found that this hobby was nicer when it makes you meet great people that share the same interest. Now FPV will make it even nicer !

This FPV meeting will be big: Sponsors, big tent with flat screen, hookups for chargers. I'll make you a vid and report if you want. It will be held at the end of july.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:52 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
You'll soon hook up directly on the utility pole
I believe lipos that you can charge at high C rates will become very common. There are already guys that can fly continuously on just two batteries. Charging one while flying the other.
Art Newland is offline Find More Posts by Art Newland
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:53 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,737 Posts
Quote:
While looking at the tread on the Quebec big FPV meeting planned for this summer, I found some guys that fly FPV and who live between 1 and 2 hours from me. We plan to fly togheter sometime this summer. Will be fun ! I always found that this hobby was nicer when it makes you meet great people that share the same interest. Now FPV will make it even nicer !

This FPV meeting will be big: Sponsors, big tent with flat screen, hookups for chargers. I'll make you a vid and report if you want. It will be held at the end of july.
Sure we want video.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:07 PM
Certifiable
USA, CO, Dacono
Joined Aug 2009
1,822 Posts
The Evil Cub

Update: All kinds of Issues happening with the planned Super cub setup. First an #1 is a very strange handling issue, The cub used to fly fantastic - it's one of those planes that required very little mental process too fly. After intalling the equipment it behaves erratically at best, its not radio interference because I've tested it numerous times with the vid equipment installed but not powered. the syptoms are: flying along at normal cruising speed - level flight and it will just start pitching up/climb into a stall...funny because it will fly straight for hundreds of yards then of a sudden it will do this.
next is on landings...I get the correct sink and glide in under power..then in the last few feet the nose will just drop out...maximum elevator seems to have very little effect.
So with all the above I am thinking something going wrong on the tail end...I have gone over every surface and control..all tight and straight.
I guess my best theory is wind wash from the cam on the belly is disrupting airflow to the tail. Moved the TX and ant' cable around on the main wing to no avail.
#2 most important issue - the new CMOS cam works great...LOL...Indoors...no wavy picture..pretty sharp...just don't go outside in the bright sunlight!....Horrible picture washout...guess i better get on of those SC2000 cams you guys are using.
Anyways...can't think of any better cam locations on the cub..so looks like I'm gonna have to get the SStick back together.

PS:..no Not COG...Quadruple checked...then checked again...then varied...it's not the cog. Weight addition? doubt it...this cub has carried heavier stuff in the past.
Dacono Air is offline Find More Posts by Dacono Air
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:11 PM
USA, TN, Fayetteville
Joined Dec 2004
878 Posts
Bad Servo?
madmike8 is offline Find More Posts by madmike8
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:30 PM
Certifiable
USA, CO, Dacono
Joined Aug 2009
1,822 Posts
I had a keychain cam pointed at the tail in one of my flights...no tail flutter...and upon landings I can see the elevator and Rudder functioning correctly...bench cycled all the servo's no catching grinding or other issues.
Tried the cam pointed at tail first because I supected radio interference with all the extra wires in the setup.
actually I'm thinking I'll give it one more shot...I'm going to make a windscreen/deflector to curve around the cam underneath. Maybe the blunt obstruction of the cam is creating an vortex or eddy.
actually..looking at the pic...maybe a combination of those wheels and the cam creating alot of turbulence...Hmmmmm
Last edited by Dacono Air; Mar 16, 2011 at 01:14 PM. Reason: addtl'
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:43 PM
Certifiable
USA, CO, Dacono
Joined Aug 2009
1,822 Posts
A photo of the setup...pretty simple and straight forward...
Old Mar 16, 2011, 01:13 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacono Air View Post
A photo of the setup...pretty simple and straight forward...
My bet would be aerodynamic too now that you ruled out the other optons. I'd say remoce cam and VTx and antenna and try again. Works ? Change the layout or go with deflectors or something like that. That plane looks like fun, don't give up !
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2011, 01:14 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
Sure we want video.
Knew youd'd say that You're the boss, video it will be...many many videos
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by carguy1994ca; Mar 16, 2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 01:15 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,089 Posts
Cam and receiver has arrived. Cam is heavier but receiver is tiny and light, will be nice on the tail. Will try tonight (in the shop) and report !
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2011, 02:00 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,737 Posts
Dacono, have you added the 75 ohm resistor to your setup yet? That could very well cure your washout problem. I would think that you would need to add a fairing to the rear of the camera to help the aerodynamics. Maybe the servo just isn't centering properly? FPV certainly is all about working out the bugs.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 02:02 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,737 Posts
Quote:
Cam and receiver has arrived. Cam is heavier but receiver is tiny and light, will be nice on the tail. Will try tonight (in the shop) and report !
How long does it take regular mail to get to Canada from USA?
Old Mar 16, 2011, 02:29 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,089 Posts
I'd say 2 weeks. The Aiptek shipped from USA on last days of feb and is not here yet. Orders from Towerhobbies or RMRC also take between 12 to 15 days.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2011, 03:32 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
5,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacono Air View Post
actually..looking at the pic...maybe a combination of those wheels and the cam creating alot of turbulence...Hmmmmm
I had similar experiences and I put it to aerodynamics and FPV flight experience against LOS.

For example, my Cularis Glider, I tested it without the FPV gear to check all was ok and I was really impressed with the plane. Fast efficient, effortless flight.

I grabbed the cabin and stuffed it with OSD,VTX CAM PAN&TILT,LC FILTER.
the cam plus pan&tilt and the VTX +rubber duckie aerial are in the airflow...
After that I tried and the glider changed , lazy on the climb, want to turn on its own and tends to stall on landings. my feelings ?
-the extra drag doesn't help,
-flying FPV is different and made me do the wrong things, I was climbing too hard without noticing, I saw the current consumption and I tended to slow down hence the turning and the stalling, what I thought was a good glide ratio in FOV was in fact a dismal glide on the OSD.
some weight re-balancing, changin the aerial with a VEE (less draggy) and some coaching by my co-pilot (Frank) made things a lot better.

Frank had a very similar experience with two of his gliders. he was saying how disappointing he was of the FPV flight when before he was raving about how good his gliders were.
So I took the transmitter off his hands and flew it with him on the goggles. what seemed a good steady rate of climb for me was almost a horizontal flight for him.
so he learned how to climb on FPV and he felt better towards them.
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99