HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:00 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Apr 2001
13,976 Posts
Discussion
diary of a FPV noobie

I've been intrigued by FPV for some time. Not that interested in AP, although it is interesting as well. I really enjoy the the cockpit view, as I'm a scale junky. I've been reading though as much of the material here as I have time for, lots to absorb! I've purchased this 900 mhz setup from hobby city;
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=13442 , haven't recieved it yet. I plan on using a NexStar 46, converted to an eflight 46 on 4S-4900 lipo. I hope to share my experiance with FPV, so that it might be helpful to others wanting to give it a try.

Worth reading;
Hi Daniel...
given what you just said I would recommend humble beginnings . FPV can be relatively cheap or as expensive as it can possibly be.
the site you mention will help you loads, and explain some more so you picked up a good starting point regarding advice.
If you are not afraid to grab a soldering Iron and have a have-a-go attitude like Art then you can save loads by making your own aerials and even make your own transmitter/receivers ( i am talking about this) and it is more fun that way too

if, on the other hand, you shy away from that then you buy the commercial products from the best sources to cut on the uncertainty and get good results with less frustration.
In a nutshell, it is difficult to predict how much money you are going to spend but be certain that you are going to spend some

whatever you do start with baby steps like Art...first video/transmitter system. then a better ground station/antennas then maybe an OSD, maybe an antenna tracker or diversity etc etc...

regarding what plane to use, i would recommend you go for an airframe that would almost fly itself, something like the well known easystar2 or the bixler or at a push the skywalker. (bixler being the cheapest)
it helps if you know how to fly RC but you need a plane that will not contribute to the difficulties associated with a first FPV flight .

A first FPV flight more or less goes like this :
WOW--WOW-pull up-I'm getting higher-NIce-WOW-what was that--Ah OK- Aaah that's nice-ooops don't forget to breathe-less throttle-turn-Wow-loving this-Aaargh-there it is Again--How good it this-ok I've got it-eeeerm-where am I-turn again-I don't recognise this place-Ah OK- ..........................

and that's only the first five seconds so you need a plane that is not going to add to your troubles.
Also it is best if you start recruiting someone that would help you o
n the first flight as a spotter
Art Newland is offline Find More Posts by Art Newland
Last edited by Art Newland; Aug 14, 2012 at 03:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:11 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,915 Posts
Cool, I'm watching Art (fellow FPV noob who has just purchased a full set of FPV gear)

Matt
Matt Halton is online now Find More Posts by Matt Halton
Old Aug 16, 2010, 03:18 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,976 Posts
good! feel free to join in. FPV noobs UNITE! 8^)

I want to have panning capability, the plan is to have the pan servo plugged into the rudder chanel, and I'll slave the rudder/nosewheel so I can turn them off and have panning available while in flight but independant from yaw. been thinking about a "servo-slow" on the panning servo?

I'll have a FMA co-pilot on board, with adjustable sensitivity from the transmitter (Futaba 9C).

For a disply, I'm going to use a Sony portable DVD player, it has a 9 inch screen with 800x600 resolution.

Might even put a gyro on the rudder.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 03:45 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,976 Posts
I've read a lot about becoming lost, disoriented. I have no plans to fly too far from our flying field, I suppose that could change, but for now probably not fly much different than the LOS i do now. I've taken quite a bit of video of the area and i have watched them over and over trying to become used to the landmarks in the area, especially leading back to the runway. I even posted one to youtube so I can watch it during lunchbreak.
Aerial video fron Hanger 9 Cub (5 min 40 sec)
Old Aug 16, 2010, 03:50 PM
TerrorTrooping
South Wales, UK
Joined May 2010
54 Posts
Another FPV (And plane) Noob here!

Never flown an RC in my life! Plenty of Cars over the years though..

Jumping in at the deepend myself. =)
Been lurking and reading for months though...
TerrorTrooper is offline Find More Posts by TerrorTrooper
Old Aug 16, 2010, 03:50 PM
Joined Mar 2001
2,625 Posts
Another noob here. A couple of days ago, I ordered the same set Art ordered. I was going to put it in a small (almost micro) plane, but the system may be too big. I'll see when it gets here. I'm going to start simple, and work my way up.

Elsewhere in this forum, there's a thread started by a guy in CA who's a real pro. Very high quality HD videos, narrating, and equipment all around. Just out of curiosity, I spent some time Googling his setup, tallying costs. Over $1500! Yikes!

Tony
t-turley is offline Find More Posts by t-turley
Old Aug 16, 2010, 04:14 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,915 Posts
Yep, I've pretty much dived in at the deep end, bought an additional OSD with antenna tracker, pan and tilt servos, headset, 8 dbi antenna,and an HD Hero Pro!

I'm taking this a bit too seriously for my wallet! Got an Easy Cap too, so I can fly with goggles and record directly to my laptop in the field.

I'm using a Multiplex Easystar and have also bought a Multiplex FunJet to aim an upgrade at.

Just can't wait to try this out.

Terror Trooper- You should learn to fly R/C planes before you get going if you have never flown planes before, might save you a lot of grief in the future-never mind the expense!

Matt
Old Aug 16, 2010, 04:24 PM
France
Joined May 2010
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
I've read a lot about becoming lost, disoriented. I have no plans to fly too far from our flying field, I suppose that could change, but for now probably not fly much different than the LOS i do now. I've taken quite a bit of video of the area and i have watched them over and over trying to become used to the landmarks in the area, especially leading back to the runway. I even posted one to youtube so I can watch it during lunchbreak.
Google earth is your best friend to learn your field.
I've never been desoriented, as soon as you are in the air, find some good reference that you'll be able to see from "everywhere" (a big road, river, the shape of the fields, etc...).
Alcyon13 is offline Find More Posts by Alcyon13
Last edited by Alcyon13; Aug 16, 2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 04:25 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Feb 2009
1,287 Posts
Matt is right. It totally sucks putting forth all the effort to get a decent setup, only to make a stupid rookie mistake and crush all the work you put into it.
yellowcolorado is offline Find More Posts by yellowcolorado
Old Aug 16, 2010, 06:07 PM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
4,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-turley View Post
Another noob here. A couple of days ago, I ordered the same set Art ordered. I was going to put it in a small (almost micro) plane, but the system may be too big. I'll see when it gets here. I'm going to start simple, and work my way up.

Elsewhere in this forum, there's a thread started by a guy in CA who's a real pro. Very high quality HD videos, narrating, and equipment all around. Just out of curiosity, I spent some time Googling his setup, tallying costs. Over $1500! Yikes!

Tony
Check this out then:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1116779
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Aug 16, 2010, 06:40 PM
Oklahoma City
Joined May 2004
1,682 Posts
Hi Art, Check out this video by vrflyer for realistic cockpit view FPV
http://www.youtube.com/user/vrflyer?.../4/FX_mxmNjpJU
Morris
MorrisM is offline Find More Posts by MorrisM
Old Aug 16, 2010, 09:13 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,976 Posts
TerrorTrooper, you better get some flying under your belt! Maybe get a simulator at least.

Matt, sounds like you have all the toys! Be sure to let us know how all that stuff works. Like to know how the easycap works, I almost ordered one until I heard it doesn't work with WIN7.

Google earth sounds like a good idea! thanks
Last edited by Art Newland; Aug 17, 2010 at 12:39 AM.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 09:15 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisM View Post
Hi Art, Check out this video by vrflyer for realistic cockpit view FPV
http://www.youtube.com/user/vrflyer?.../4/FX_mxmNjpJU
Morris
Good to see a familiar name! You into this FPV stuff?
Love that video! The little robot dude is a little over the top for me... but cool for sure.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 09:22 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,976 Posts
Ended up modifying the motor mount a little more to get some more prop clearance. All the radio and linkages hooked up, rudder and nosewheel on different servos to afford me the most flexibility. Need to make a battery box, then she's ready to fly. My hobby city stuff has been on order for 9 days, don't know how long it will take to get here.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 02:20 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,915 Posts
Quote:
Like to know how the easycap works, I almost ordered one until I heard it doesn't work with WIN7.
I have Win7 Art, I got mine from a UK supplier on eBay, says it's designed to work with this OS,not tried it yet, but we'll see....
Linky:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EASYCAP-USB-DC...eo_TV_Cards_TW

Model is looking good, hope your stuff arrives from HK soon!