HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:11 AM
Joined Jun 2008
38 Posts
Question
Motor mount screws

Does anyone know what type of screws are used for your usual 300-400 size motor? I'm looking to order some from RTL fasteners but don't know what they are.

Thanks!

Bryan
kosch is offline Find More Posts by kosch
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2010, 06:23 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosch View Post
Does anyone know what type of screws are used for your usual 300-400 size motor? I'm looking to order some from RTL fasteners but don't know what they are.

Thanks!

Bryan
Take the screws to a good hardware store and ask the clerk what size they are.
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 16, 2010, 06:50 AM
Frequent Flyer
Orleans, MA
Joined Feb 2007
1,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosch View Post

Thanks!

Bryan
You need a 2.5mm bolt (works in my Speed 400 6volt). About 6-8mm long should be a good length. That width also works in my 3mm prop savers.
whitecrest is online now Find More Posts by whitecrest
Old Aug 16, 2010, 07:24 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
9,901 Posts
In real 400s (Mabuchi brushed motors) they're actually threaded 2.6mm but as whitecrest says you can usually get away with 2.5mm and they're rather easier to find than the very rare 2.6mm (though you can sometimes find those as spares for Kyosho R/C cars).

Of course there's no guarantee than any other manufacturer, particularly of the brushless 300/400 equivalents if that's what you meant, uses the same sizes. In fact I that know that some use 3mm.

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Aug 16, 2010, 08:25 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
7,448 Posts
My prop-savers and mounts are M3 threaded ..... as are my 370 brushed motors.
Occasionally you will come across am M2 ... but not often.

I recently had a motor come loose in it's mount where you have the two grub screws tightened down onto the motor rear barrel. they worked loose and I am not so fiond of loctite on such as then it's difficult in cramped fixed cowling to undo. So I replaced with machine hex headed bolts ... long enough so that head does not come inside outer mount diameter and foul the mount to airframe screws. I can now use a 3mm allen key instead of the flimsy 2mm key to make sure all is tight.

As another says - take article to hardware store and let guy sort ... and try to get Black hardened screws ... expensive but worth it for thread stability.
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Aug 16, 2010, 08:29 AM
Frequent Flyer
Orleans, MA
Joined Feb 2007
1,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
In real 400s (Mabuchi brushed motors) they're actually threaded 2.6mm...

Steve
After closer examination, this appears to be true on my Speed 400. The 2.6mm would be a perfect fit. I'd go with those if available, however, the 2.5mm bolt threads smoothly without crossing, and they are available at RTL.
whitecrest is online now Find More Posts by whitecrest
Old Aug 16, 2010, 01:46 PM
Joined Jun 2008
38 Posts
Great, thanks everyone! I'll get some 2.5mm.

It's interesting that they use an oddball size. Kind of funny though, on all my Suppo motors I've always felt like the screws were a tad too small, maybe they are actually using 2.5mm in a 2.6mm hole.

Thanks!

Bryan
kosch is offline Find More Posts by kosch