HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 15, 2010, 06:26 PM
United States, NJ, Middlesex
Joined Feb 2008
1,193 Posts
Discussion
Enya .25 & to .50 xcn

Hey, I just got the enya .25 and .50 engines from a friend of a friend who doesn't fly anymore. The .50 is NIB and never taken out and the .25 was mounted in an old great planes super sportster kit but never ran (i got the plane too). I currently only have an evo .46 and os 55ax engines and all my experience comes from them. Anything I should be aware of with these? do the carbs work the same as on the evo or os? Do i tune them the same..etc etc. The .25 box says .25 xtv, and the .50 is xcn I believe.

Also, what are the best props from either of them.

And I'll be using omega 15% fuel, whats the best plug for them. Is it the enya #3 or #4 and where is a good place to buy them.
RedStarArmy is offline Find More Posts by RedStarArmy
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2010, 06:50 PM
United States, FL, Cocoa
Joined Jan 2006
1,433 Posts
Nice Score!

It sure is a good looking engine.
Broken Wings is online now Find More Posts by Broken Wings
Old Aug 15, 2010, 06:51 PM
United States, FL, Cocoa
Joined Jan 2006
1,433 Posts
Enya Engine 50CX ABC Two Stroke

An extremely powerful 50 sized two stroke.

The choice of many experts show flyers. Both Paul Heckles and Simon Clayton used this engine for display flying. The ENYA 50CX is brilliant for 3 D or patternship aerobatics because of its excellent throttling characteristics. As usual with Enya - It is hard wearing and very relaible With TN carb and silencer included. We recommend 5 to 10 percent Nitro and an enya Number 3 or number 4 plug.
Try the Bolly Clubman 11.5 x 7 or 12.5 x 6 on this engine for sport flying.

Wot 4's, Acro Wot's, Limbo Dancers, Tai Ji's, Groovy 50's love this engine !

Displacement 8.33 cc

Bore 22.8 mm

Stroke20.4 mm

Weight 380 g

Useful RPM 2,500 to 16,000 rpm

Power : 1.4 HP *

Recommed Use :Sport, trainer, scale and aerobatic aeroplanes

Note : Factory 'Useful' power figures quoted. Without exception when tested in various magazine and independent engine reviews * Enya Engines always have a higher HP than qouted in tested factory figures
Old Aug 15, 2010, 09:11 PM
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Sep 2007
907 Posts
That's a good strong 25. Only issue could be that the muffler isn't that good, so may be noisy. Great engine...worth getting a Macs strap muffler for it, which is quieter with no weight gain.

Jim
buzzard bait is offline Find More Posts by buzzard bait
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:18 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,067 Posts
The 25 sounds as though it's the earlier 25X which would look similar to my 19X below. I'm not totally certain but I think the 25X uses a cast iron piston the same as the 19X. If it has the iron piston then don't use that Omega fuel without adding quite a bit of castor or you'll kill it. The Omega has some castor but no where near enough and the total oil is only 17% anyway. Add enough castor to bring the total up to 20% at the very least, preferably closer to 25%, and you'll never wear it out. As it's a new engine, and if a cast iron piston, then it needs quite a bit of careful running in starting as rich as you can get it for the first few runs and very slowly leaning it out for at least an hour.

The 50CX is ABC so should survive OK on the Omega, just don't let it go lean.
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Aug 16, 2010, 03:54 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Mar 2005
907 Posts
Is the Enya 50 CX ABC or AAC?

I had a pair of the 45 CX engines & they were AAC. Great engines, powerful & easy to handle.
I used them in sport class pylon racers & with the required 10 x 6 prop they used to scream. - John.
Boomerang1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomerang1
Old Aug 16, 2010, 09:23 AM
Joined Feb 2008
1,193 Posts
The 50cx is abc, i know that for sure.

How do I go about finding out for sure if my .25x has a cast iron piston? I can't seem to find anything online about it. The engine was bought new some time on the late 90s...if that helps.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 05:29 PM
United States, FL, Cocoa
Joined Jan 2006
1,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStarArmy View Post
The 50cx is abc, i know that for sure.

How do I go about finding out for sure if my .25x has a cast iron piston? I can't seem to find anything online about it. The engine was bought new some time on the late 90s...if that helps.
A magnet should tell you.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 08:50 PM
Joined Sep 2003
3,067 Posts
Yep, either a strip off a rubber fridge magnet slipped through the exhaust port onto the top of the piston or one of those really strong magnets like they use in a computer hard drive laid against the cylinder fins will soon let you know.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:37 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,193 Posts
hmm..interesting. I assume if it sticks, it can only be iron?
Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:09 PM
Joined Jul 2010
119 Posts
Magnetism, at least for purposes of this discussion, is a property that is peculiar to iron and a very few other metals. If a magnet sticks to a metal, then the metal is not copper or aluminum. This particular type of magnetism is called "ferromagnetism", from the Latin word for iron (ferrum, symbol Fe).

Other elements that are ferromagnetic at room temperature are nickel, cobalt and gadolinium, according to Wikipedia, for what it's worth.
jbryan80 is offline Find More Posts by jbryan80
Old Aug 17, 2010, 04:05 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2010
419 Posts
Nickel and Cobalt are classified as ferromagnetic according to all my College chemistry books.

Those powerful magnets will attract a nickel plated liner. The magnets from a microwave oven magnetron are a lot more powerful.
iluv2fli is offline Find More Posts by iluv2fli
Old Aug 17, 2010, 06:08 PM
Joined Sep 2003
3,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluv2fli View Post
Those powerful magnets will attract a nickel plated liner.
No they won't because I just tried it on a spare OS liner.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 07:50 PM
NM2K
Ringgold, GA, USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard bait View Post
That's a good strong 25. Only issue could be that the muffler isn't that good, so may be noisy. Great engine...worth getting a Macs strap muffler for it, which is quieter with no weight gain.

Jim

It is easy to forget that the more power an engine generates, the more noise it will generate too. That muffler on another, less powerful engine, might be surprisingly quiet.

Ed Cregger
Artisan is offline Find More Posts by Artisan
Old Aug 17, 2010, 11:43 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2007
612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
No they won't because I just tried it on a spare OS liner.
Howdy there Downunder, does that mean u have a few OS`s lurking in the cupboard? I didnt know u were that way inclined. Cheers the pope PS I have recently joined NMAS so were almost neigbours
the pope is offline Find More Posts by the pope