HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2011, 11:02 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,252 Posts
I have not been able to find the programming instructions for the stock "Topfire" ESC and my programing card won't read it. When trying to determine which programming sequence it uses I get nothing ...no beeps at all with throttle all the way up. Maybe it's not programmable?
I did manage to set the throttle though. It took two tries but, the motor now starts up right off the bottom instead of 1/4 stick up.
Hyperion will likely list the programming instructions on their web site so searching that should get you where you want to be.
Higher timing will give you higher RPM/kv but, on occasion, there's a point of diminishing return (depends on your system). Sometimes on "high" timing it will draw more amps than you get in return for shorter battery life. When that's the case, I usually drop it down to "mid" or sometimes "low". It all depends on what your watt meter tells you when you run it up.
Also watch your battery temp. I lowered the timing on my Mig 15 because the 30C batteries I was using were getting way to hot.. I puffed one pretty good and probably ruined it. Most of the EDF "experts" I know recommend at least 35C batteries for EDFs. I've been getting away with the cheaper 30C batteries ...until now.
My Mig 15 needs at least 40C for high timing as I'm running a Hobbywing 80amp ESC and a Cyclone 3700kv motor with a SAPAC 70mm fan. That system really makes the bird move out well but, it also draws a lot of juice doing it. I'm showing 70amps and 1050 watts at WOT on 4S 3600mah 30C.
When my larger capacity batteries come in I'll set the timing back to high.

RJ
rowdyjoe is offline Find More Posts by rowdyjoe
Last edited by rowdyjoe; Aug 03, 2011 at 11:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2011, 02:05 AM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,252 Posts
Shipped !!!!!

Finally got confirmation of shipment for my F86. I placed the order on 8/2/2011.
It's being shipped via EMS and, according to the message, it will take about 4 to 5 days to arrive at my house. I should be able to track it tomorrow (I hope).
This is the newest version that comes with e-tracts (instead of the leaky air retracts) but, from what I can tell via pictures, ti's the same bird as the Venom. I have an unassembled "kit" (airframe only) of the Venom so I'll be able to compare the airframe parts for differences. It will also come in handy for spare parts if needed.
I've installed a Cyclone 3300kv motor in a 5 blade fan unit along with a 60amp ESC and external switching BEC and I'm debating whether to replace the stock unit right away or wait to see the stock performance. Stock equipment looked very good in the video so, I'm leaning toward stock right now. I may replace the ESC right away, especially if it doesn't come stock with an external BEC ....and if I do that, I might as well swap the fan and motor too. Decisions, decisions. I'll have to make up my mind when it gets here.

RJ
Last edited by rowdyjoe; Aug 08, 2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 03:47 AM
addicted rc'er
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Dec 2009
865 Posts
mines on its way to "EMS" it left hongkong on sat and is still in the air according to the tracking, man i hope its here by friday!!!!
batteries arrived today tho - big!! hope they fit!
acky is online now Find More Posts by acky
Old Aug 08, 2011, 08:16 AM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acky View Post
mines on its way to "EMS" it left hongkong on sat and is still in the air according to the tracking, man i hope its here by friday!!!!
batteries arrived today tho - big!! hope they fit!
Great. Hope ours arrive at the same time. We can compare notes on assembly and the first flights. I hope your batteries fit too.

RJ
Old Aug 08, 2011, 08:55 PM
addicted rc'er
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Dec 2009
865 Posts
i got a surprise today, no the plane has not arrived yet but i think it may be literally 40mins away!! hense the surprise!!
tracking on the hong kong mail site shows it as in transit from hk to final destanation and has done since the 6th - i was thinkin where the heck is this plane going? australia via london???
theres a drop down list on the page to check the destanation countries postal service, so i looked and surprise! its listed as with driver en route to final destination - YAH!!

so check the drop down list!!
Old Aug 08, 2011, 10:00 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,252 Posts
Quote:
i got a surprise today, no the plane has not arrived yet but i think it may be literally 40mins away!! hense the surprise!!
tracking on the hong kong mail site shows it as in transit from hk to final destanation and has done since the 6th - i was thinkin where the heck is this plane going? australia via london???
theres a drop down list on the page to check the destanation countries postal service, so i looked and surprise! its listed as with driver en route to final destination - YAH!!

so check the drop down list!!
Great news. Hope she's there before sundown.
I'm afraid mine isn't even registering in the system yet. The tracking system tells me there's no record of that number ....check back later. I've checked the China postal system and the EMS tracking system with no luck.

RJ

RJ
Old Aug 08, 2011, 10:20 PM
addicted rc'er
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Dec 2009
865 Posts
its arrived now i cant play with it untill late tonight
retracts look fairly robust!
Old Aug 08, 2011, 10:53 PM
Mike
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Joined Jul 2003
937 Posts
Ordered electric retracts from Hobby King, they are shipped and on their way. Going to replace the air retracts with these. Thanks for the advice.
i12flyrc is offline Find More Posts by i12flyrc
Old Aug 09, 2011, 12:58 AM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,252 Posts
Quote:
its arrived now i cant play with it untill late tonight
retracts look fairly robust!
As we say in Texas ....YEEEEEEEE HAAAAWWWWWWWWW !!!!
Old Aug 09, 2011, 07:28 AM
addicted rc'er
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Dec 2009
865 Posts
well here it is all spread out! instructions are rubbish! but everything seems to be there, even hinges for the movable surfaces!
all the wiring is numbered but there is no reference to the wiring at all in the instructions?
battery looks like it might fit?

this is my first non parkzone foamy and i must say the foam seems harder but the level of finish is way lower - paint seems thin and the decals are split in places, ah well cant really complain for the price
Old Aug 09, 2011, 07:34 AM
Mike
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Joined Jul 2003
937 Posts
RJ, is there a stock number for the electric retracts in the F86 you just got from Hobby City and if so what are they? I tried to look up the parts on their website for that F86 since it looks identical to the Venom one but couldn't get at a parts list. The ones I ordered were STTE 03 and STTE 02 a nose wheel and mains, they didn't come as a set but are made to go with each other. These look like they have the right dimensions. They also look pink/purple ish in the picture.
i12flyrc is offline Find More Posts by i12flyrc
Old Aug 09, 2011, 09:35 AM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i12flyrc View Post
RJ, is there a stock number for the electric retracts in the F86 you just got from Hobby City and if so what are they? I tried to look up the parts on their website for that F86 since it looks identical to the Venom one but couldn't get at a parts list. The ones I ordered were STTE 03 and STTE 02 a nose wheel and mains, they didn't come as a set but are made to go with each other. These look like they have the right dimensions. They also look pink/purple ish in the picture.

Sorry, can't help you with that one. I have no idea.
I know that HK sells electric retracts but, don't know if any of those are the same as those that come with the plane.
I have a "kit" version of this bird that came with air retracts so, I ordered the NP Exceed retracts (for the Exceed Mig 15) to replace the air. The wing pockets require a bit of modification for them to fit but, it's minimal really. They're good retracts and no more expensive than other sets and they'll ship from the US (if in stock).

RJ
Last edited by rowdyjoe; Aug 09, 2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 09:38 AM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,252 Posts
Quote:
well here it is all spread out! instructions are rubbish! but everything seems to be there, even hinges for the movable surfaces!
all the wiring is numbered but there is no reference to the wiring at all in the instructions?
battery looks like it might fit?

this is my first non parkzone foamy and i must say the foam seems harder but the level of finish is way lower - paint seems thin and the decals are split in places, ah well cant really complain for the price
Hey, great. Thanks for the pictures.
Everything looks easily accessible and that's a good thing. Did the thrust tube come installed you do you have to do that yourself?
The nose wheel looks small in that large opening but, I think the opening is meant to double as a cheater hole. Otherwise, why make it so big? I think it will look scale when you put her on the ground. If not, wheels are plentiful and cheap.

RJ
Old Aug 09, 2011, 06:12 PM
addicted rc'er
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Dec 2009
865 Posts
thrust tube was already in place.
Wheels are a bit small for grass i think and its def a cheater hole!
i will try and see if i can get a part number off the retracts tonight

wings glued so tonight i plan to do the hinges etc and all going well have it ready for a maiden friday!
Old Aug 09, 2011, 06:38 PM
Broken Arrow, Okla
Joined Oct 2010
87 Posts
STTE 02 & 03 from HK is what I am installing. They look solid, but next time will buy the version 2 from X flight RC.
They are the metal trunions version.
J3 guy is offline Find More Posts by J3 guy