HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:06 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,257 Posts
steve beat me to it ...that was the first mod i did ,the second was glueing the gear mounts with epoxy,or gorilla glue ....do thes mods now ,i have way over 100 flights on mine and it has been holding up very well,i also put C/F tubes in my stabs cause i felt it was needed there too.post #18 has a pic of the C/F rod in the tails .
Also i have a fiber glass nose cone in stock right now .....pm me for details ,Regards Rodger.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:16 PM
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jul 2011
1,777 Posts
Well folks, I maidened my F-86 this afternoon. It was an interesting flight that had the potential to go really bad, but ended up making me and the plane look darn good.

I eased the throttle to full and the plane rolled down our grass runway and was tracking straight with very little input. I gave the plane just a bit of up elevator and it gently lifted the nose and just as the mains were about to leave the ground I saw pieces coming from under the plane!

The plane was airborne and I was out of runway, so I was pretty much committed to take off. I knew something had come off the plane, but it was at the far end of our 200 foot runway, and I now had my first EDF in the air, so I couldn‘t just run down and see what it was. As I made a turn and brought the plane back to me I could see the main landing gear hanging by the servo wires.

The plane is still flying great. It is very smooth in the air, for a plane with wheels hanging from the wings. I’m now glad I opted to glue the wing tanks on, because I decided to land in the taller grass beside our runway.

I slowed to about throttle and extended the flaps and made a near perfect belly landing right beside the runway.

Upon inspection, it appears the plywood base for the main gear was not glued to the wing, or at least not glued very well. Also the screws that hold the gear to that plywood are only long enough to extend about 1 millimeter into the plywood and both main gear had separated from the plywood.

The good news, the gear stayed with the plane and I recovered both pieces of plywood, so I can get out the Epoxy and glue them in properly. Also, the plane is in perfect shape, no damage. And I have to say, even with the main gear dangling by wires, the plane flew great. I can’t wait to fly it again, hopefully with the gear properly attached and retracted!

Jim
WVrailfan is offline Find More Posts by WVrailfan
Last edited by WVrailfan; Nov 15, 2012 at 02:00 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:13 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,257 Posts
yeah most guys reglue them ,at post #10 there is a pic of a spar i put in mine that ties into the plywood for the gear ,glad you got her back down .
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:11 PM
United States, NC, Marion
Joined Jun 2011
816 Posts
Guys iv got mine built and ready to go and have run into a little question. I plan on taking off on the gear and belly landing on the grass cause our runway is way to rough to even attempt any kind of landing on gear this small. Iv noticed the control arm of nose steering servo is going to be exposed and i was thinking that it will get ripped all to pieces when belly landing. Has anybody come up with a mod to the servo to lower it???
ncflyer79 is online now Find More Posts by ncflyer79
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:53 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,870 Posts
Fly it with the wing tanks on. Smoother, easier belly landings, and the servos (all of 'em) never know it's supposed to be stressful to them.
PikeStaff is online now Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:53 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,777 Posts
Flew mine for the first time today. I am very pleased with the way it flies. Very smooth in the air. It did use nearly all 200 feet of our grass runway to get in the air.

Landing was smooth and uneventful. I changed the wheels to some softer foam wheels from a PZ Trojan. They are maybe 1/8 inch bigger and fit in the wheel well, but soften the landing just a bit compared to the hard rubber or plastic wheels that came on it.

Overall, I am very happy with my first EDF!

Jim
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:35 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,870 Posts
Spectacular!

Congrats on the maiden! In the days to come, this plane will be putting smiles on your face that are difficult to remove.

Great pics, too - these'll remind you just how perfect a Sabre looks in the air!
PikeStaff is online now Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:20 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,257 Posts
looks real nice ....i need to put my tanks on
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:32 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
looks real nice ....i need to put my tanks on
Thanks,
I haven't installed the new intake yet. Wanted to make sure I wasn't going to fly it into the ground nose first before I made any changes.

Jim
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:12 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
Just found this thread and glad I did! I'm going to read it from the start to find out all the mods.

Meanwhile, here's the video of my maiden and subsequent flights this morning.
Starmax 70mm F-86 (6 min 27 sec)
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:25 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,257 Posts
nice flying glad to see it flew well ,thanks for the vid.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:33 AM
Joined Jul 2011
1,777 Posts
Got in my second flight today. Long take off roll, but it flew great and landed like a dream. I think the slightly larger foam wheels helped with take off and landing on grass.

I'm not ready to make changes to the power system just yet, but I thougt i would ask, have any of you flown this with a five cell using the stock ESC/motor? I'm using a 3300 4cell 40c at the moment and I like the scale speed it has in the air. The biggest reason I can see for changing anything in the future is to shorten take off distance.

Jim
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:21 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,257 Posts
have you tried half flaps for takeoff
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:26 AM
Joined Jul 2011
1,777 Posts
No I didn't. Used them for landing. I'll give them a try next time I fly it.

Jim
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:06 AM
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Mar 2011
278 Posts
Balance problem FAN

All,

Putting my F-86 together and while testing i found that the Fan vibrates bad.

Took off the screw ans cone in front of fan. Now the fan runs perfectly smooth from idle to full power.

Would it hurt to fly without the cone?

How to resolve... either cone or screw is out of balance?

Thanks for your advise!

Neil
NeilDahl51 is offline Find More Posts by NeilDahl51