HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Aug 15, 2010, 12:06 PM
Joined Feb 2003
3,759 Posts
Discussion
The trouble with deans (maybe knockoffs)

I was just connecting a battery to an esc to bind a receiver and noticed a problem...I think these are real deans connectors and not knockoffs as this battery pack was bought before I started buying those cheapo deans connectors. I was kind of shocked to see this happening when the connectors were fully mated. You only needed to slightly move the connector to have it break connection. It happened on multiple battery packs. I think the problem connector was the esc side deans. I think I am going to move to some other style of connector. Any suggestions?

deans connectors (0 min 22 sec)
Xnaron is offline Find More Posts by Xnaron
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2010, 12:10 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
Yeap, I have experienced the same. There are some cheap knockoffs out there that have a very thin piece of material that keeps the contacts from connecting. I am done with deans.
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Aug 15, 2010, 01:10 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,919 Posts
I think if you bend any connector that far it will fail.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Aug 15, 2010, 01:49 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
Obviously someone did not solder the connectors properly. A couple of my deans did that right after soldering, so I went back and re-soldered them and the problem vanished instantly. Bad solder joint. Make sure they're getting enough heat (but not too much) to make sure the leads are fused to the connector well enough.

Don't assume it's the connectors fault for not working properly. It's like saying that your car crashed, so it must be the manufacturers fault.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Aug 15, 2010, 01:53 PM
Joined Feb 2003
3,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
I think if you bend any connector that far it will fail.

Glen
I'm not sure what your seeing in the video but I am not bending anything.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 01:54 PM
Joined Feb 2003
3,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
Obviously someone did not solder the connectors properly. A couple of my deans did that right after soldering, so I went back and re-soldered them and the problem vanished instantly. Bad solder joint. Make sure they're getting enough heat (but not too much) to make sure the leads are fused to the connector well enough.

Don't assume it's the connectors fault for not working properly. It's like saying that your car crashed, so it must be the manufacturers fault.
Solder joints are fine...I redid them...this is a connector issue...Just something to be aware of. I didn't say all deans were crap. I just wanted to point out an issue I had...luckily I found it on the bench and not in the air.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 02:07 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
In my situation, at the time when this happened, I did not have a camera system that would take close-up. My deans did have a piece of the housing preventing the contacts from connecting.
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Closed Thread