HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2011, 05:37 AM
Just shut up and build!
Sri Lanka
Joined Mar 2010
649 Posts
I will be putting up a website to explain everything -meanwhile:

Quote:
providing the model flies in a stable way and doesn't crash.
This is what I am aiming for at the moment. Like the Wright brothers 12 second flight I am to start off small and slowly expand.

To be exact, a straight, trimmed level flight covering 10 metres with the model not losing much speed, to ultimately a trimmed, steady climb is what I am looking for here. Once it flies OK I can look for more space. Then I slap on the RC equipment I know it is not that easy!

Construction details - somewhat on the lines of a Paul Bradley model but with a motor tube for the rubber motor and a central 'floor' in the midsection of the plane for strength. I have corrugated cardboard but it is a bit heavy.
knlever is offline Find More Posts by knlever
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2011, 03:44 AM
Just shut up and build!
Sri Lanka
Joined Mar 2010
649 Posts
It's been done before, I see: My search term was wrong. Search for 'card rubber powered planes' and not 'cardboard'

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613304

http://www.geocities.jp/micropaperpl...ityuukijou.htm

Very small though.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 08:19 PM
Just shut up and build!
Sri Lanka
Joined Mar 2010
649 Posts
Project update - engineering prototype pix at this location:

https://sites.google.com/site/rubber...oject-rpm_feb_
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:02 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,863 Posts
knlever,

Send me an e-mail at rufus.carswell@yahoo.com and remind me you want plans for a Cessna 180 and I can e-mail you back four really good ones. No charge.

Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Old Feb 17, 2011, 06:17 PM
Just shut up and build!
Sri Lanka
Joined Mar 2010
649 Posts
Thanks I got the plans
Old Mar 11, 2011, 04:25 AM
Just shut up and build!
Sri Lanka
Joined Mar 2010
649 Posts
Found a paper - fuselage build here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...56#post3867849

With a paper or card wing, I hope to build the C 180 in a similar fashion

Work is in progress...
Old Mar 12, 2011, 03:36 PM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
In the new April issue of Flying Models they build a scale 60" span, glow powered, control line model out of cardboard.
The control line plans page actually has several cardboard model plans like the Cyclone below.

Zach
Tail Spin1 is offline Find More Posts by Tail Spin1
Old Mar 13, 2011, 10:16 AM
Airplane Dope
USA, WI, Rio
Joined Nov 2009
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail Spin1 View Post
In the new April issue of Flying Models they build a scale 60" span, glow powered, control line model out of cardboard.
The control line plans page actually has several cardboard model plans like the Cyclone below.

Zach
Cool
AddictedToRC is offline Find More Posts by AddictedToRC
Old Mar 13, 2011, 01:39 PM
Joined Aug 2006
19 Posts
Hi Guys,
Chuck Felton here. That's my Caudron Simoun cardboard C/L model in the April issue of FM. The three attached photos show it before and after detailing. One advantage of cardboard is that it results in a solid surface ready for painting, with no covering required.

Obviously corrugated cardboard has its limits as a building material. Its not a good choice for small models where weight is critical. But for larger models, say 30" wingspan or more, it can hold its own. Its ability to be scored and easily folded lends itself to some pretty simple building techniques which result in quite realistic scale appearance.

You an see examples of both R/C and C/L cardboard models as well as building techniques on my website at the following link:

http://www.feltondesignanddata.com

Give it a try. I think you'll find it to be a lot of fun.
Cfelton is offline Find More Posts by Cfelton
Old Mar 13, 2011, 05:40 PM
UK
Joined Jan 2009
1,248 Posts
Very cool models Chuck! How do the weights/wingloadings compare with conventional construction?

Jon
Yak 52 is offline Find More Posts by Yak 52
Old Mar 14, 2011, 07:52 AM
Joined Aug 2006
19 Posts
Jon,
The weight of larger cardboard models compares well with those using more traditional building materials, especially if you use the lighter grade of 1/8" corrugated cardboard available. I use 150 lb test board versus the more prevalent 200 lb test board. The 200 lb test board can also be used, but will result in slightly higher weight models. The wing loading for the Simoun is 22 oz/sq ft. But the wing loading for my 60" wingspan Piper Pawnee shown below is only 15 oz/sq ft. But then the Pawnee has more wing and less fuselage compared with the Simoun and should have a lower wing loading.

I could lower the wing loading on all my designs by cutting out lightning holes in the upper and lower wing surfaces between the cardboard ribs and covering them over with silkspan, Monokote, etc. But I am designing easy building sport flying scale models, not competition designs. And I like having a solid wing surface ready for painting.
Chuck
Cfelton is offline Find More Posts by Cfelton
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:22 AM
Just shut up and build!
Sri Lanka
Joined Mar 2010
649 Posts
Wing Construction

Nice models, Chuck. Your cardboard planes were an inspiration for me in building my smaller (1:24) rubber powered card models, Wing construction is shown here.

I have found a control line cardboard model or two and larger RC powered models, but very few if any full cardboard or Bristol board rubber powered model planes. Have you come across any? Too heavy maybe?
Last edited by knlever; Mar 14, 2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 11:54 AM
yes, its a flying lamb :)
Bitola, Republic of Macedonia
Joined Apr 2009
532 Posts
Use a single spar if you have a skewer long enough. The excess material and glue won't do you any good, especially when you are planing to end up overweight from the start due to the alternative materials. It's this kind of things that will increase your flight times

Dragan
draganbt is offline Find More Posts by draganbt
Last edited by draganbt; Mar 14, 2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 05:36 PM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
Chuck,
I haven't read all the article yet but I'm really enjoying it. I'm always interested in learning about different building methods. Especially ones that produce results like yours.

I may have to give one of your models a try. I have a lot of experience when it comes to building with cardboard. Except I use to build boats out of it for a local cardboard boat race.

Here is a picture of my last project. It's a 1/20 scale model of the steamship Central America. I gave it away to a man in St. Louis last fall. He's going to fiberglass it and he's a member here on R/C groups so he is going to post the project on the boats forum here.

SS Central America, Cardboard Boat (1 min 31 sec)

Zach
Tail Spin1 is offline Find More Posts by Tail Spin1
Old Mar 14, 2011, 07:18 PM
Just shut up and build!
Sri Lanka
Joined Mar 2010
649 Posts
Fuselage Design

Quote:
It's a 1/20 scale model of the steamship Central America.
That's a lovely boat. How on earth do you waterproof it? Waterproofing needs to be done for model planes as well in case of wet weather etc.

For the wing, I will try to use a single spar next time. In any case I need weight ahead of CG, but this is close to CG I know. The wing and fuselage will be built nose heavy so I do not have to add weight.

Here are pictures of my fuselage design. (Wings 3d). Motor tube is in the centre. Bulkheads will be out of corrugated cardboard, and sides out of Bristol Board.