SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by deckert, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 04:33 AM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,587 Posts
Discussion
Pendleton, Oregon IAC meet/ part 1

Well today was a real kick! Jim Bourke brought the Russian Thunder Yak 54 to Pendleton, Ore. for the Beaver State Regional Championship (Northwest) IAC (International Aerobatic Club) meet. Since Pendleton is just a tad over an hour away, I had to make the trip & check this baby out, plus I was also hoping to meet the owner of this unusual bird. I got more then I was hoping for. I expected the meet to be crowded, limited access to the planes & pilots, money to get in etc. etc. just like some airshow events are. Wrong! Me & the wife strolled into the hanger and all the pilots were just putzin around. No gate, no money, nuthing. Just walk in, bs with the pilots and hit the flightline for some pictures. Sit in the shade, watch the pilots gear up and 50' from from the flightline.

I wasn't sure what to expect since I'd never attended one of these events. What I discovered were a bunch of pilots that are passionate about flying and are absolute down-to-earth people. I listened as different pilots gave advice to other pilots on the ins & outs of what needs to happen in performing different manuvers. Hey, just like like at our RC Flying clubs, people helping people. I had a few questions and different IAC pilots filled me in on the why's and what-for's.

But since I went down there to see the Yak and meet Jim, I was treated to some extra special time from him. For that, I want to give a big, "Thank you Jim!" He took me out to the bird and then asked if I wanted to sit in the seat to see just what it's like from a pilots view. I refused at first because this sucker is really high off the ground and I'm not near as limber as I was a few years back. Not to mention, if I stumbled and did any damage to the bird, he'd be grounded. But when he said it might be the only time I might get a chance like this, my brain said 'go for it ya dummy.' I have to say, I can see why Jim stays on the slim side, us poor old round around the middle guys don't have a hope on jumping in and hauling gas. The cockpit sure isn't built for comfort. I'm pretty darn sure some farm tractor company helped develop the seats in this sucker. The stick seemed abnormaly high, at least compared to a Cub. But the other controls seemed normal, assuming you have some knowledge of Russian. Just kidding (sort of) Most everything has been tagged in English. The cockpit was way past being warm with the canopy down. The outside view is virtually non-existent to the front because of the cowl and wings. I asked what it was like to land this thing. Jim said, if you don't see the runway, you're on it. If you do see the runway, go around..

Anyway, here's some images part 1. And BTW Laine, Jim said to tell you hello! I didn't forget ya buddy!

Dan
deckert is online now Find More Posts by deckert
Last edited by deckert; Aug 15, 2010 at 05:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2010, 04:57 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
Nice. Looks like you had a great time out there! Hope I can go see them fly someday. Heck, I hope to fly WITH them someday in my own plane (Pitts of course). Thanks for tellin Jim howdy for me.

Laters man!

Laine.
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69
Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:51 AM
Retired USAF
USA, SD, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2005
2,910 Posts
Very cool, Dan! Thanks for sharing the pics...
cynjon is offline Find More Posts by cynjon
Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:34 PM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,631 Posts
Loved the pics. Thanks for sharing.

Imopar69 and cynjon ... Thank you for your service to this great country.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Aug 17, 2010, 03:15 PM
AMA 36848
United States, OH, Middletown
Joined Jun 2008
223 Posts
enjoyed that very much, thanks for sharing
justplainold is online now Find More Posts by justplainold
Old Aug 20, 2010, 12:37 AM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,587 Posts
Yer all welcome for the pics. Just sorry you weren't able to attend. I have to tell you it was just so sweet to be able to walk the flight line for pics and be able to talk to the pilots and hear their views on the in's & out's of performing. I remember something Laine posted about getting a chance to look at some Russian Helo's that flew in and got to laughing about what he might think about the cockpit in Russian Thunder. Jim will be bringing RT to Ephrata for the IAC in September and I'm going to try to make the event because it's about 2 hours away. There's just something about watching full scale birds that is darn thrilling. I was really amazed about the stress an IAC event puts on the pilots. These pilots land and are wringing wet and massively dehydrated after doing a 10~15 minute? flight. (In the box) They're running neg 4g's and up to 8g's positive. I talked to Steve Ellison and he said he's pulled above 8g positive but the amount of g's are relative to the time factor, which makes sense.

Anyway, Cynjon has less then a couple of weeks for his return home. Get home safe my friend! Your wife and kids have a present for you! (!)

Laine, keep yer butt covered and stay safe! You'll have to drop me a letter and let me know how the give-away birds are going? LMK if there's anything you want/need in the way of goodies. I'm running out of ideas. & NO, I'm still not to going to ship yer wife over to a snow white sandy beach for two weeks of R&R. My wife would

We thank the both of you for covering our butts here in the USA! Ya know, I sure hope I get the privilege of meeting the two of you in the future! Uhh while I'm alive anyway.

Dan

Apple Turnover (Northwest)
Friday, September 10 - Saturday, September 11, 2010
Practice/Registration: Thursday, September 9
Rain/Weather: Sunday, September 12
Gliders Categories: Sportsman Intermediate
Power: Primary through Unlimited
Location: Ephrata Municipal Airport (KEPH): Ephrata, WA United States
Region: Northwest
Contest Director: Jerry Riedinger and John Smutny
Contact Information: Primary Phone: 425-985-9469 Alternate Phone: 206-399-7097 E-Mail: JRiedinger@perkinscoie.com
Old Aug 20, 2010, 01:53 AM
too cheap to be a Plus user
USA, WA, Richland
Joined Nov 2009
1,281 Posts
Great pictures Dan! Looks like fun.

Doug B.
dougbo is online now Find More Posts by dougbo
Old Aug 20, 2010, 03:15 AM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougbo View Post
Great pictures Dan! Looks like fun.

Doug B.
Doug, it was darn sure different but was an absolute joy. Ya need to hit Ephrata because it's pretty flat and should outshine Pendleton with more birds. These pilots are so giving to talk to it's just unbelievable. They're just like beer buddies next door.

Don't forget, August 27th thru the 29th is the Scootenty Float Fly, Sept 11-12 is the Moses Lake flyin, Sept 17~19 is the Zillah Big Bird flyin, Sept 25~26 is IMAC and Oct 1~3 is Indian Summer @ Higgins field in Benton City. Check out our calender @ http://www.higginsfield.com/

We have 400' of paved runway and two RC car tracks up to 1/8th scale. Gas, electric and nitro for anthing RC, flyin or drivin. Ya gotta see 5 idiots running their electric Slashers on the 1/8th scale track. Talk about crash-bang and haul gas..it's just a hoot to watch. There's usually someone there on Fri~Sun mornings to have the field open. Give me a call if ya want to fly/drive and we can work something out for ya.

Dan 588-8842
Old Aug 20, 2010, 12:18 PM
too cheap to be a Plus user
USA, WA, Richland
Joined Nov 2009
1,281 Posts
Dan, we have met before - a few weeks ago while you were spraying weeds at the MAA field. I'm the tall guy with the red/black heli. Will you make the club social this Sunday?

I plan on attending Scootney, IMAC & Indian Summer ... maybe Zillah.

Doug B.
dougbo is online now Find More Posts by dougbo