SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 14, 2010, 08:49 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,924 Posts
Careful!
Blade SR 120 mod to do before you fly...

The wife picked me up an SR 120 today...as an early birthday gift.
I had not planed on getting one..some of you know how i feel about eflight....remember the "coreless" tail motor printed on the SR's box,and the DOA tail motor i had...But she took the time to get it for me.(it says Blade on the box not eflight,lol...I couldn't tell her to bring it back....It is impolite to refuse a gift someone gives you

So i started to take a look at it while the battery charged.
I noticed that the motor would move front to back...bending the motor mount area.This also caused the lower canopy mount to rock front to back.
This is obviously going to be a weak spot on this heli...and i expect to be reading of broken frames at the motor mount.

A quick and easy fix can be done with a ziptie.
Loop the ziptie around the rear frame between the frame and circut board and then around the motor.Tighten the ziptie down good and snug and cut the extra off.

This will keep the motor from haveing any movement at all.
Doing this before your first flight will save you a headache down the road

I also put up a pic of the tail motor and it's plug.
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2010, 09:29 PM
Joined Jul 2010
105 Posts
good work ya lucky bastard

cheers for that info hey.. it will likely save a few broken frames now.

Jay
jayw81 is offline Find More Posts by jayw81
Old Aug 14, 2010, 11:40 PM
Ground impact artist =/
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2010
46 Posts
so how does it fly?
JohnDoeGeneric is offline Find More Posts by JohnDoeGeneric
Old Aug 15, 2010, 07:50 AM
Blade mSR freak
Irish Hills - SE Michigan
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
It looks like they're using a coreless CP tail motor for a main motor, and an mSR/Mustang style/size main motor for the tail motor.
hydro_pyro is offline Find More Posts by hydro_pyro
Old Aug 15, 2010, 11:12 AM
Joined Apr 2010
648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro_pyro View Post
It looks like they're using a coreless CP tail motor for a main motor, and an mSR/Mustang style/size main motor for the tail motor.
The main motor is a standard cored 180 (much larger than a tail motor). Cheap, but fairly reliable and powerful.
Technica is online now Find More Posts by Technica
Old Aug 15, 2010, 01:42 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,161 Posts
IMHO, your zip tie is putting more stress on the heli than any crash of a 3 ounce heli ever would.... its also working to pull the pinion away from the spur, which could cause problems in itself.... In my opinion, you are fixing a phantom problem and only adding weight. But its your heli, and if it gives you piece of mind, do it. I just dont think we are going to see a rash of broken frames, thats all.
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Aug 15, 2010, 01:52 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
IMHO, your zip tie is putting more stress on the heli than any crash of a 3 ounce heli ever would.... its also working to pull the pinion away from the spur, which could cause problems in itself.... In my opinion, you are fixing a phantom problem and only adding weight. But its your heli, and if it gives you piece of mind, do it. I just dont think we are going to see a rash of broken frames, thats all.
Do you have an SR 120 ?
The motor flexes the frame front to back.
If you have the canopy off...hold the skids...now hold the motor and rock it front to back....see how the frame flexes.

The ziptie is not tight,it just holds the motor from being able to rock forward.

As far as adding weight...i weighed the ziptie...0.03g.
With a battery that weighs in at 14g i doubt the added 0.03g from a ziptie will cause any issue.

I posted this as a helpfull tip.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 03:13 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,150 Posts
he is right though, the zip tie is pulling back towards the mast and could hinder the gear meshing - OR it could be fine. Would be better to make other mounts right beside the motor, somehow fixed to the frame for support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
Do you have an SR 120 ?
If you have the canopy off...hold the skids...now hold the motor and rock it front to back....see how the frame flexes.

The ziptie is not tight,it just holds the motor from being able to rock forward.

With a battery that weighs in at 14g i doubt the added 0.03g from a ziptie will cause any issue.

Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Aug 15, 2010, 03:48 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,161 Posts
Ah you know now looking closer, I see the plastic tab on the mast that keeps the motor from being pulled backward by the zip tie, (im a little surprised you didn't mention that in your response?) so that eliminates the gear mesh concern, but I still think the frame is going to be fine without additional support.... Do you really think that NOT ONE of the people who designed and built this heli ever picked it up and tried to rock each and every part of it back and forth? I mean, this isn't walkera we are talking about. E-flight knows that if 50% of the helis they sell end up with the front part of the frame broken off, they are going to have a huge problem. (while walkera wouldn't care, when the heli stopped selling, they would stop making it and move on to something else)

I dont believe there will be a problem. That's just my opinion. As for the weight of the zip tie well, weight is weight, and when you have a heli that only weighs 106 grams to begin with, every little bit counts....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Aug 15, 2010, 04:53 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,924 Posts
Nah.....i don't think there will be a big problem with it either now that i have flown it around a bit.
But it is not adding any stress to the motor and it is not altering the gear mesh at all.
I got to thinking about the weight and remembering how a small weight change on the msr was noticeable....so i used a short length of magnet wire in place of the ziptie.
The wire is to light for my scale to pick up its weight and my scale can show weights down to 0.01g....so now there is almost no added weight.....i did that just for you dacaur...
Old Aug 15, 2010, 05:35 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,150 Posts
I didn't notice the peice between the mast and motor either - thin light wire, problem solved.

good mod!

Quote:
Nah.....i don't think there will be a big problem with it either now that i have flown it around a bit.
But it is not adding any stress to the motor and it is not altering the gear mesh at all.
I got to thinking about the weight and remembering how a small weight change on the msr was noticeable....so i used a short length of magnet wire in place of the ziptie.
The wire is to light for my scale to pick up its weight and my scale can show weights down to 0.01g....so now there is almost no added weight.....i did that just for you dacaur...
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Sep 14, 2010, 01:27 PM
Joined Aug 2010
4 Posts
Hey all
You all seem worried about something that will NEVER Happen... What about some REAL problems like the Servos There Crap They Jam with a Very little Crash & its Sticking @ the top or Bottom in High Rate, advanced swash setting & one is much louder then the other, So why be worried about the Frame cracking when the thing is not going to fly long enough anyway.?? This is not the First one I have heard of so far.? Waiting to hear back from Horizon about this, if it was a old Heli...I would just Buy a New servo & be done with it but being a New Heli this needs to be dealt with as a consumer.?
Camazar is offline Find More Posts by Camazar
Old Sep 14, 2010, 02:13 PM
Rockin' in the free world
Durham, NC
Joined Jun 2010
33 Posts
Quote:
Do you have an SR 120 ?

Hey Ridge.
I've made the zip-tie mod to my 120. Might be overkill for a "phantom" problem that has not arrived yet, but it sure makes the motor and mount a lot more solid. No more up and down movement of the motor and mount/batt holder.

It works for me.

This 120SR is a great bird.
jaysB3 is offline Find More Posts by jaysB3
Old Sep 14, 2010, 02:41 PM
Joined Apr 2010
648 Posts
My position on that mod is - why? Why add extra weight to the helicopter when it's not needed? My 120SR is factory stock and flies perfectly fine. The motor doesn't flex and it's not going to fall off.
Technica is online now Find More Posts by Technica
Old Sep 14, 2010, 04:12 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,924 Posts
Guys here is a link to the page with almost all the mods i have done...it needs to be updated with the Jet Ranger body.

..http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1293580

Any mods i do in the future will be posted on my mod thread in the link above.

Ridgewalker
Last edited by ridgewalker; Sep 14, 2010 at 04:25 PM.