HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2010, 02:07 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
7,370 Posts
Discussion
FlySky, Turnigy, Eurgle, Imax 9ch systems - explanations to add to manual ?

Hi ... I've read much of the previous FlySky, Turtnigy etc. 9ch stuff on threads but they all tend to dive of into technical firmware and stuff that leaves the average flyer cold ...

Many of us would like to see a collection of useful general and detailed helps to explain better or augment the dismal manuals.
We all go through the trial and error bits of sections we want or need... finally arriving at or near what we want. Now if someone has gone down the road before - that would be excellent to have the knowledge gained.

I ask that if people do respond to this thread and post their info - that firmware and 3rd party upgrades be left to the other existing threads please. I would like to see a thread here of solutions to various uses of the 9x in it's as bought firmware etc. condition .....
It's also a great help if the RX / Module type is stated when the info is posted as there are various marques of RX and TX modules that are incompatible with each other on same radios ... ie TM-001 TX module will not work with Vers B RX .... Vers B RX is single block RX without satelite.... etc.

I hope that this thread keeping to the out of box systems can help those who purchase and get lost in the Chinglish manuals that even the Imax copy doesn't serve so well .... to help us use the sets to a fuller potential ....

Some may be surprised at how far the original system may go !

My first info is the bind and range test ... yes I've posted this before but it got lost in other material .. TM-002 TX module and Vers B single block RX :

to Bind :

Insert module in TX, insert bind plug in BATT connector socket of RX. Keep pressed Bind button on back of TX and switch all on. Look for steady RED LED inside Rx and once you see that steady - all done.

to Range Check :

switch all on, then keep pressed Bind button on back of TX .. this gives reduced TX power ... now walk away from model testing all the time .. you should be able to get anything up to 100ft away from model and still full control, I suggest less than 50ft is not so good ...

Now another ... as a simulator for PC ...

cable required is standard PC audio cable with stereo pin plug at each end. This also serves as trainer lead I believe .... Anyway this cable plugs into PC audio IN or Line IN and you use two free programs PPjoy and SmartProPlus to interface to your preferred Sim ... just remember a) that your TX needs to have it's aux ch's assigned if you want to use the switches / knobs etc. in your sim, b) to unplug the TX module so that output is directed to cable ... FOR SIM ONLY....

Over to you lot to add please ??
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2010, 02:53 PM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
842 Posts
I agree with you. I'm just trying to get a Turnigy 9X transmitter going.

About Turnigy 9x TX and 9X 8C V2 receiver (the RX that came with the TX):
1. BAT and BIN slots are reversed
2. There is no clear description of what the COPY command does. (Are you copying
from storage memory to working memory, or the reverse? Are you copying options into working memory, or storage memory? Do you have to turn off the TX, so that working memory is stored?)
3. Picking MODE 2 for the TX assigns the right stick properly (AIL, ELEV), but the
left stick is DEAD. When picking this mode, menu prompts for "Reverse
Throttle?", but I don't know what this means, and I have tried answering MENU and EXIT, and the left stick is still inactive (no throttle signal, no rudder signal).
4. Picking the AER model type: AIL, ELE, and RUD servos will not activate until you plug in a speed controller in channel 3. (???) Shouldn't these channels work if I have a separate UBEC plugged in supplying servo power?
5. changing TRAINER options, even though the TRAINER menu was INHibitted, lost me my ELE signal. There seem to be strange interactions, here.
6. I cannot mix THR-> THR and RUD -> RUD, to get a functional left stick.
7. When binding the RX, the directions are to hold some buttons and turn on the transmitter. Which buttons? As it turns out, just the bind button on the back.
8. When turning on the TX, the message "Switch Error" displays if the AUX 3 mix switch is not set to N. I don't know what the switch is, or what that setting is.
9. I tried mixing THR to AUX, and plugging the SC into the AUX channel in the RX. The left stick still did not run the throttle, but the knob by the Trainer switch then ran the throttle! ???? Are the mixes (FROM-TO) reversed?

WARNING: if the throttle doesn't work in Mode 2, be careful reversing the throttle channel. The motor can turn on full speed (and the left stick still does not control it, so you must unplug the SC battery to stop the motor).

The manual is terrible. It is not bad English -- it doesn't have precise information on what some of the programming options do. Without an explanation of the memory in the TX and the layout of the menu, I prefer a manual that has precise examples of how to change options. Until I can et a reliable Mode 2 operation, the transmitter and the receivers are useless.

Stephen from Tucson
wuest3141 is offline Find More Posts by wuest3141
Old Aug 15, 2010, 03:37 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
7,370 Posts
I have to answer based on my Fly Sky radio ... so there may be slight differences ....

Quote:
1. BAT and BIN slots are reversed
On the Fly Sky as I have - the Bind socket is not connected and therefore BATT socket is used for Bind. Once done - forget the Batt socket and plug power into any other socket or if its BEC from ESC - then thats the throttle socket.

Quote:
2. There is no clear description of what the COPY command does. (Are you copying
from storage memory to working memory, or the reverse? Are you copying options into working memory, or storage memory? Do you have to turn off the TX, so that working memory is stored?)
This is for copying over model parameters / settings from one memory position to another. ie you may have mixes and settings for model 1 that are same as another for various - so you can copy to model X saving all the programming again.

Quote:
3. Picking MODE 2 for the TX assigns the right stick properly (AIL, ELEV), but the
left stick is DEAD. When picking this mode, menu prompts for "Reverse
Throttle?", but I don't know what this means, and I have tried answering MENU and EXIT, and the left stick is still inactive (no throttle signal, no rudder signal).
Certainly not with my set ... OK I had the throttle reverse bit but all my sticks / knobs etc. worked as should ...
I think the reverse throttle item is something that throws up from the radios origins of heli's ?

Quote:
4. Picking the AER model type: AIL, ELE, and RUD servos will not activate until you plug in a speed controller in channel 3. (???) Shouldn't these channels work if I have a separate UBEC plugged in supplying servo power?
mmmmmmm interesting haven't seen that ...
Quote:
5. changing TRAINER options, even though the TRAINER menu was INHibitted, lost me my ELE signal. There seem to be strange interactions, here.
I'm starting to think you may have a 'dicky radio' ....

Quote:
[6. I cannot mix THR-> THR and RUD -> RUD, to get a functional left stick.
Surely if you couldn't get left stick working when changing to Mode 2 ... why would mixing cure it ? Back to faulty radio I reckon ...

Quote:
7. When binding the RX, the directions are to hold some buttons and turn on the transmitter. Which buttons? As it turns out, just the bind button on the back.
Fly Sky don't give any bind instructions in their manual which is worse than the Imax version - which is not exactly good either ! But yes it's just the TX module button with Vers 2 module / RX, + the Bind plug in RX of course ... but if it's Vers 1 module and RX - I believe there is a button on the RX ?
Quote:
8. When turning on the TX, the message "Switch Error" displays if the AUX 3 mix switch is not set to N. I don't know what the switch is, or what that setting is.
Switch error is a common thing and is answered on many sites that all switches need to be in normal position ... that is all switches up on front panel, all switches toward rear on top. This I believe is a safety feature ...

as to Aux 3 ... what that does is to be determined by you in the set-up menu where you can assign various functions to each of the Aux switches ...

Quote:
9. I tried mixing THR to AUX, and plugging the SC into the AUX channel in the RX. The left stick still did not run the throttle, but the knob by the Trainer switch then ran the throttle! ???? Are the mixes (FROM-TO) reversed?
Back to original failure of the set to go to mode 2 ? How can you mix a function that hasn't assigned correctly ?

Quote:
WARNING: if the throttle doesn't work in Mode 2, be careful reversing the throttle channel. The motor can turn on full speed (and the left stick still does not control it, so you must unplug the SC battery to stop the motor).
I suggest that radio is returned to default state and restart the setting up to mode 2 ... I changed mine and had no problems at all ...

Quote:
The manual is terrible. It is not bad English -- it doesn't have precise information on what some of the programming options do. Without an explanation of the memory in the TX and the layout of the menu, I prefer a manual that has precise examples of how to change options. Until I can et a reliable Mode 2 operation, the transmitter and the receivers are useless.
Great shame ... really is ...

Quote:
Stephen from Tucson
Wish I was closer so I could help ....

Nigel
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:35 PM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
842 Posts
Nigel,

I asked the question about COPY, because the Spektrum programmable radio has a working memory (the one that actual controls the plane), and you must COPY one of the model memories into the working memory. Then, until you copy a different model memory into the working memory, if you shut off the radio, it saves any changes to the chosen model memory.

The 9X seems to work directly in the stored model memories.

I tried to reset the radio by taking out the batteries. This did not change the problems.

The strange thing is that I can get the Rudder and Throttle channels to work in the AUX channels run by the switches, and turning knobs. But I cannot get them to work off the left stick (regardless of the Mode that I pick with the menu).

I also tried changing to a new motor battery. Same problems.

The problems are very strange, because I had a RX bound to the radio, and installed in a custom plane that I just finished. I took it out Saturday, and did taxi tests on it up to 100 yards away. All the channels worked fine. Now channels 3-4 will not work at all.

I don't have more time to try to more random changes. All I want is a simple 6-channel radio with a little mixing capability, and this radio and receiver just doesn't work according to the directions in the manual, or any changes that make logical sense to me. I will try to Hobby King simple 6-channel radio, and see if that is reliable.

Thanks for all the comments. I'm glad that your SkyFly radio works.

Stephen from Tucson
wuest3141 is offline Find More Posts by wuest3141
Old Aug 17, 2010, 07:32 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
7,370 Posts
This is my first foray into 'computer style' radio - as all my previous were mechanically or switch control mixing etc. from the 80's.

The copy function - I take it from what I've read as I have had no need to use the facility.
I have 2 models programed in and I just set the relevant model via the menu and it works ... no visible transfer of data as I can see ... it just works.

Taking the Imax manual - which is the best of the lot .. still not good, but at least translation is more allied to models than heart attacks ... it says :

"Copies the current model data into another model memory. The name of the model memory you are copying into is displayed for clarity."

So a question ... if you revert the radio to out of box default - do all functions work ?

Second question ... these radios are available in buyers choice of mode 1 or mode 2 stick configuration, as well as having the ability to change yourself ...

BUT one thing clicks in my mind ... if you change sticks from one mode to another - you must also plug in servos corresponding to NEW sockets ... ie if you put ESC or Servo in channel THROT while mode 1 ... it will not be same position when you re-arrange TX to Mode 2 ... I mention this because you say that you get knobs operating what you want on left stick ... silly question - but have you re-arranged your servo / ESC plug-ins to match the changed TX ?
Actually more I think about it - the more I think you left servos etc. in original sockets ... how would you know an aux Knob is acting as throttle ? Actually it's not because RX is only putting out on channel that TX is commanding on ... so find the sockets that are getting signal from throttle / rudder ..... Sorry if it sounds rude of me !!
It's a real shame that you have an ornament of a radio ..
Old Aug 28, 2010, 09:37 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
7,370 Posts
C'mon ... we need all those hints and tips ...

It's all well and good for Firmware upgrades etc. - but what about the plain man in the street who uses it straight out of box ...

There must be more info ... ie how to mix ? what is mix ? copying model to another slot ? etc. etc. .....

Simple users tips ....
Old Sep 06, 2010, 06:44 PM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
United States, CA, San Bernardino
Joined Feb 2010
656 Posts
hints and tips

never mind
mchldpy is offline Find More Posts by mchldpy
Old Sep 28, 2010, 12:48 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,598 Posts
Good idea for a thread...KISS is needed for radio newbs

Anyone got a link to the IMAX manual?
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Sep 28, 2010, 05:02 PM
Look outside the Square
Gosford, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
2,621 Posts
Here you go erh...

http://www.modelsandall.co.za/Products/ImaxTX.htm

Bx
Boxhead is offline Find More Posts by Boxhead
Old Mar 19, 2011, 11:16 AM
Climbing the learning curve!
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Jan 2011
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxhead View Post
I'm still waiting for my Turnigy 9X to turn up in the mail and to be honest, I'm a little daunted at the prospect of setting it up as this is my first programmable radio (with my first CP heli!)

But this thread has been bookmarked along with a few other sources so I should be OK so long as I don't get a dud in the mail like I've heard other unfortunates have...

The link on the above page to the manual no longer works however with a quick google search I found these:
Eurgle 9X manual
FlySky TH9X manual

Hope that helps!
Friar Fnord is offline Find More Posts by Friar Fnord
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:38 AM
Design, Build, Crash?, Repeat
Monroe, CT
Joined Mar 2005
722 Posts
As a new user myself, I went through the other thread on the radio and started collecting the things I thought would be important to remember. This document is a work in progress, and covers both the 9X V1 and V2. Have a look:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4691

Chris
Chris_K is offline Find More Posts by Chris_K
Old Mar 26, 2011, 11:39 AM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuest3141 View Post
taxi tests on it up to 100 yards away. All the channels worked fine. Now channels 3-4 will not work at all.

Stephen from Tucson
On bench test, you may have placed receiver and transmitter too close to each other, swamping signal. Keep distance, antenna down, and see if it works.
John Kim is offline Find More Posts by John Kim
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 15, 2011, 03:43 PM
United States, FL, Port Orange
Joined Sep 2001
309 Posts
trainer cable

Has anyone tried using the trainer connection on a turnigy 9x as a trainer connection using stereo rf connector ?---also the manual instructions d.ont seem to work for me. Connecting to a second turnigy 9x.
kd4gfy is offline Find More Posts by kd4gfy
Old May 15, 2011, 04:09 PM
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Jun 2010
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd4gfy View Post
Has anyone tried using the trainer connection on a turnigy 9x as a trainer connection using stereo rf connector ?---also the manual instructions d.ont seem to work for me. Connecting to a second turnigy 9x.
I'm hoping this answers your question and the question another asked about losing elevator when messing with the trainer function.

The trainer function on the stock firmware is backwards. When you activate the trainer function in the teacher radio, it automatically transfers control to the student radio. For the teacher to have control, the momentary trainer switch has to be held. It was for this reason, and a few others, I changed the firmware. I did find a youtube video showing how the guy made a device out of air tube from a fishtank, and a spring to hold the switch in the correct position.

I recently bought a Flysky TH9X. The manual included seems to have different firmware than the radio I received. A few changes are the "mode" text that refers to the model. In the manual, it says "model" another is the trainer system. It has options to choose whether the plane receives the mixing from the teacher radio, or the student radio. Mine just has an off or an on. There were a few other differences but I don't remember them because it was my second radio, so I flashed it before ever using it on a plane.
Kalikikopa is offline Find More Posts by Kalikikopa
Old May 16, 2011, 07:29 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
7,370 Posts
The best manual for the 9X has been found ...

So many versions of the chinglish manual exist and are in some areas complete rubbish.

But finally a good all-round version has been found ... written for the re-branded version sold by CopterX ... (now that will shock a few ... !! )

Here's the link ... now I suggest that best way is to open the link page that lists the pdf files ... then right click ... save as ... as it takes forever to load as it's native pdf that you'll think your PC has gone sleepybyes !!

http://www.walkera-heli.com/manual/cx-ct9a_manual.pdf

It has no watermarks ... it has good translation .... it's worth the download ...

It's also worth looking at : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/