HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2003, 07:41 PM
Joined Jun 2003
179 Posts
How do you use Polycrylic to glass a plane?

What technique do you use? How do you hold the glass down? What size glass? What tools/brush do you use? Do you attach it with 3M77 before hand? Can you cover open areas with it?What do you paint over it?
asennad is offline Find More Posts by asennad
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2003, 09:28 PM
RPV builder & operator
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2001
2,301 Posts
http://rcgroups.com/links/index.php?...at=202&id=4018
Pierre Audette is offline Find More Posts by Pierre Audette
Old Jun 28, 2003, 03:07 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,290 Posts
I've tried both polyacrylic and water based polyurethane with fiberglass. In my opinion, the water based polyurethane provides a smoother and stronger bond to the foam. You can use water based acrylic craft paints (available at walmart craft dept) for painting.
hoppy
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Last edited by hoppy; Jul 27, 2003 at 03:17 PM.
Old Jul 02, 2003, 11:10 PM
Joined Jun 2003
179 Posts
What exactly is the difference between the polyacrylic and water based polyurethane? What's best for raw balsa?

(I can find the polyurethane in small cans. The polyacrylic I see only in large cans.)
asennad is offline Find More Posts by asennad
Old Jul 26, 2003, 12:55 PM
WORK!
Joined Jul 2002
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hoppy
Here is an instruction for the process.
http://webhome.idirect.com/~manuel/
hoppy
hoppy,

This link is no longer working. Ken moved his site to: http://www.seriouslyfunmodels.com/. In searching the new site, I was unable to find the link to this covering article. It was very good and I am trying to find it again. Do you know where I could find it? I will also send Ken an e-mail.
Howard
hweird is offline Find More Posts by hweird
Old Jul 27, 2003, 03:28 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,290 Posts
You are right, the link is gone. OK, here is how I do it. Sand the foam lightly and blow the dust off with an air gun or rinse with water and let dry well. Cut the 0.5 to 0.75oz fiberglass cloth slightly oversize to cover both sides of wing (body/wharever). Place cloth over surface and liberally brush on the water based polyurethane varnish. Have a piece of waxpaper underneath to collect the excess WBPU. After the surfaces are well soaked with the varnish, take a credit card and lightly squeegy the cloth to remove the excess varnish. Do this on both sides and then place the part on several needles or nail points till dry. At this time cut off the excess material with a very sharp exacto knife or scissors.
hoppy
Old Jul 28, 2003, 09:06 AM
United States, NY, Spencerport
Joined Oct 2001
2,801 Posts
Minwax Polycrylic IS water based polyurethane.

Make sure it's WATER based polyurethane, if you're glassing over foam.
mkirsch1 is offline Find More Posts by mkirsch1
Old Jul 28, 2003, 12:54 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,290 Posts
No, polycrylic is not water based polyurethane, it's polyacrylic. Two completely different chemicals.

Minwax® Water-Based Polyurethane for Floors
A professional formula that combines the superior durability and warm richness of traditional polyurethane with the ultra-fast dry time, low odor and easy water cleanup of water-based finishes.

Minwax® Polycrylic® Protective Finish
A tough, crystal clear finish that is ultra fast-drying. Its low odor formula is water-based for easy cleanup. Ideal for use over white, light and custom-color water-based stains.

hoppy
Old Jul 28, 2003, 02:49 PM
United States, NY, Spencerport
Joined Oct 2001
2,801 Posts
I was told by so-called "paint experts" that acrylic simply means water-based.
mkirsch1 is offline Find More Posts by mkirsch1
Old Jul 28, 2003, 03:32 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,290 Posts
"Paint experts" steered you wrong on that one.... tho probably most acrylics we use are water based. So in a way they are right.

Here's a page on acrylic paints.
http://www.rexart.com/whatacry.html

They, the chemists, can modify these polymers to get many different end product properties. House paints, varnishes, etc.
hoppy