HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2010, 04:03 AM
Norwich.uk.
Joined Oct 2007
542 Posts
Question
Outer wing attachment.

Currently i'm building a twin engine aircraft. the center section of the wing will be part off the fuselage, from the outside edge of nacelles too wing tip i intend to have this section as a plugin.

Question: What would be the best way of attaching these, securely, allowing for easy removal when transporting
domll is offline Find More Posts by domll
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2010, 04:52 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,440 Posts
I have a B-25 with detachable outer panels, a B-17 with each complete wing panel detachable at the fuselage side, and a Sunderland with the outer panels detachable.
All electric powered and 93" span, 100" span, and 90" span.

On all of them I use a pin going through the joining spar for retention. The sketch explains it better.
I normally use hardwood dowel for the joining spar, rolled paper tubes for the alignment tubes, (the Sunderland uses fiberglass tubes).
The pin is usually a piece of push rod off-cut, and the pin aligning tube a piece of snake outer, and is a good friction fit through the dowel.

Yes, I do tend to do things on the cheap, , but they work. Haven't lost a wing so far, but then niether do I do aerobatics with scale(ish) models that never did either.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Aug 14, 2010, 05:57 AM
Norwich.uk.
Joined Oct 2007
542 Posts
Thanks eflightray, i'm working on a bristol Beaufighter so no aerobatics for me
As this works for 93" span, 100" span, and 90" span, 51" will be not problem.
domll is offline Find More Posts by domll
Old Aug 14, 2010, 09:21 AM
that tree ate my plane
oklahoma city oklahoma
Joined Apr 2004
1,647 Posts
if you were worried about loosing the pin you could replace it with a screw and a blind nut
rotccapt is offline Find More Posts by rotccapt