HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by mountainsax, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 07, 2010, 08:53 AM
Fix, Fix, Fly, Fix, Fix, Fly
Colorado
Joined Apr 2009
635 Posts
First Test

First test spin went well! No major vibrations, sounds smooth and solid. The tail was responding opposite from what it should (stick left was moving the tail left) so I reversed the rudder channel and then recentered the tail slider by moving the tail servo slightly on the boom. Appears to be working the way it should now, movement of the tail slider in both directions and appropriate corrections by the gyro.

I'm going to take it slow and remember not to get ahead of myself this time!
mountainsax is offline Find More Posts by mountainsax
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2010, 12:04 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
And remember to ignore the comments from spectators.
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Sep 08, 2010, 11:41 AM
Look Ma, no hands!
Edenton, NC
Joined Jun 2009
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsax View Post
Jules - love the radio rig!! I'm all about creating contraptions to solve problems (my wife says I always find the hardest way to do things), so this is right up my alley!!

Ethan,

My wife says you and I have a lot in common!

Love the new build. Please post your experiences w/ the E500 motor you’re using. I’ve read both “great” and “underpowered.” I bought one and would like as much input as possible.

Love the canopy. Hmm . . . wouldn’t that be just the project for Mel?

Glad for your successful test spin.

Jules
126jp is offline Find More Posts by 126jp
Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:00 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
So, we are getting there after those hops at lunch. Remember when the tail on my MT was acting up? I went to fly this evening and on spoolup the tail would not hold at all and I had a bad frame vib then the tail box disintegrated where the box meets the pivot input from the servo rod. Lucky for me I had not lifted off the ground.... I guess I will be using that EXI tail assembly I showed you last night.
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Oct 10, 2010, 10:30 PM
Colorado
Joined Apr 2009
635 Posts
Went out with Cactus a couple weeks ago and did some adjustments to the radio settings and some test hops. Found that that blades are warped beyond repair.

Despite the warped stock blades fom HK I got back in the air today! Just two little hops, nothing major, but I didn't crash!! And my wife and kids thought I did a good job! (it's always good to bring your own cheering section)

New blades are on the way. It's good to be back in the air!

Ethan
Old Oct 10, 2010, 10:39 PM
Colorado
Joined Apr 2009
635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 126jp View Post

Ethan,

My wife says you and I have a lot in common!

Love the new build. Please post your experiences w/ the E500 motor you’re using. I’ve read both “great” and “underpowered.” I bought one and would like as much input as possible.

Love the canopy. Hmm . . . wouldn’t that be just the project for Mel?

Glad for your successful test spin.

Jules
Jules, I haven't flown enough yet to know if the motor is underpowered. Let me get a few more flights under my belt and I'll let you know.

The canopy is definitely time consuming and tedious, intricate work, but I really enjoyed doing it. I have completed another one w/ waves, I'll post some pics soon.

Ethan
Old Oct 13, 2010, 11:03 PM
Colorado
Joined Apr 2009
635 Posts
Second flight (with me at the helm) since the rebuild...smooth and mostly controlled 1.5 and 2 minute hovers!!! Still have some things to work out, possible brown out, still waiting on blades, etc. but overall very excited that it is working and I am back in the air!!

Hopefully some videos to come soon (though they won't likely be very exciting...)

Ethan