HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2010, 06:24 PM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Discussion
Beware...Value Hobby issues

Value Hobby has an issue with their order tracking system...whatever that may be.

On June 13th I ordered four 30C 4S/4000mah G-Force lipos off their site. About 10 days later only two batteies arrived. Inside the box was a hand-written note that said they ran out of stock and the other two batteries would be sent when new stock arrived. Around the middle of July new stock arrived according to their website...and quickly sold out. I waited a reasonable shipping time then sent an email reminding them of my two backordered packs. I got an email response that said more stock would be arriving in a few days. New stock did indeed arrive around the end of July. In fact I ordered two more of the same packs and sent another email at the same time reminding them again of my backorder. A week later my two newly ordered packs arrived. I sent a third email insisting that my backordered packs be shipped before they ran out of stock again. They responded that they were "behind" and that my packs would be shipped [last] Monday.

Today I received ONE of my backordered packs...ordered in 2 MONTHS AGO!...with another hand-written note on plain copy paper saying the they ran out of stock again and that they would "refund one battery money as soon as possible". We'll see how that works out.

Be warned. They have problems. I'm not saying they're bad folks or that they sell a bad product. They just don't seem to be able to keep track of their orders or inventory with any accuracy. They seem to forget about backorders entirely then send out new orders without filling backorders.

Be sure to get your stuff as soon as stock becomes available or you risk entering the backorder abyss.

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2010, 09:19 PM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Oh, and I just looked at the newpaper that was wadded up inside the box for packing material. It's a Chicago area newspaper almost completely in Chinese.

kendall
Old Aug 13, 2010, 09:37 PM
Huckfest or bust!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuppertn View Post
Oh, and I just looked at the newpaper that was wadded up inside the box for packing material. It's a Chicago area newspaper almost completely in Chinese.

kendall
Kendall, what does that matter?

The owner isn't chinese and he is a pretty nice dood. Call him up and chat RC and he will talk your ear off about the hobby.

Sorry to hear of your battery back stock issue, but perhaps a phone call to them versus emails, would have brought about a quicker and accurate resolution.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:10 PM
Meridian, ID.
Joined Mar 2005
709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuppertn View Post
Oh, and I just looked at the newpaper that was wadded up inside the box for packing material.
kendall
You might want to edit that last post.
Tamej is offline Find More Posts by Tamej
Old Aug 14, 2010, 06:35 AM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
Kendall, what does that matter?

The owner isn't chinese and he is a pretty nice dood. Call him up and chat RC and he will talk your ear off about the hobby.

Sorry to hear of your battery back stock issue, but perhaps a phone call to them versus emails, would have brought about a quicker and accurate resolution.
You're right. That didn't really read the way I intended at all. It doesn't matter at all. Just amusing. Chinese battery packed in Chinese newspaper from a US vendor. Coulda used one of these for clarification. No point in editing now that it's quoted.

The emails were answered reasonably quickly. The first one I sent was answered within a few hours. The last was sent on a Saturday and answered Monday morning. Communication was not the problem. Like I said above, I'm not saying they're not decent people at Value Hobby. They're just good folks with trouble tracking their backorders. Maybe something with their software since the site won't let you order if there isn't any stock, but doesn't appear to keep an accurate real-time count of how much is still available.

kendall
Last edited by tuppertn; Aug 14, 2010 at 07:01 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 07:28 AM
Mt. Dora, Florida
USA, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Dec 2006
4,040 Posts
I saw nothing wrong with what you posted. That is the problem with this country, everyone is trying to hard to keep from stepping on toes with political correctness that there is too much of a lack of communication. I didn't know they were Chinese. So thanks for the information, but it will not stop me from buying from them. I've never had an issue with Value Hobby.
mtdoramike is offline Find More Posts by mtdoramike
Old Aug 14, 2010, 07:47 AM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdoramike View Post
I saw nothing wrong with what you posted. That is the problem with this country, everyone is trying to hard to keep from stepping on toes with political correctness that there is too much of a lack of communication. I didn't know they were Chinese. So thanks for the information, but it will not stop me from buying from them. I've never had an issue with Value Hobby.

I don't think they are Chinese from what cryhavoc says, but again, who cares. I just saw a Chinese battery from a US vendor packed in Chinese newspaper from a US city and got a giggle out of it. End of story.

This wasn't meant to be a Bash-Value-Hobby thread--just an FYI. I imagine most folks won't have a problem. There's just no way to know if you're ordering more than what's in stock. It's a common problem and you see posts all the time about how someone ordered something that was listed as "in stock" only to find out that it wasn't. Apparently Value Hobby is not immune.

Maybe I'll call and see if they can work out a store credit arrangement for the undelivered item instead of a refund. With good prices and cheap shipping I also intend to order from them again. I'll just keep a close eye out and place my order as soon as stock arrives.

kendall
Old Aug 14, 2010, 01:10 PM
Meridian, ID.
Joined Mar 2005
709 Posts
Not to stir up the pot, but most larger cities in the U.S. have had multiple language newspapers for some time.

Value Hobby have always been good on my orders.
Tamej is offline Find More Posts by Tamej
Old Aug 14, 2010, 01:30 PM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamej View Post
Not to stir up the pot, but most larger cities in the U.S. have had multiple language newspapers for some time.
No s#*$ and completely irrelevant. I'm not an idiot or a bigot. It was the context, not the item itself. Get over it.

The information I intended to post regarding Value Hobby's backorder problem is there if anyone cares. I'm closing this before it gets any more ridiculous.

kendall
Last edited by tuppertn; Aug 14, 2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:36 PM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
I'm re-opening this thread to let everyone know that I got the refund today for the undelivered pack.

So although the order may have been overlooked for some time, Value Hobby has done right by me really without any extraordinary effort on my part.

I was starting to worry, but these do seem to be good people.

kendall
Old Aug 17, 2010, 07:25 PM
Off we go.............
Seattle, WA. USA
Joined Jan 2006
3,325 Posts
Well I have only made one order from VH so far. Just four of the 170mah 1S batteries, and the GT Power 12V 20A power supply.
Now for whatever reason, the power supply showed in stock, otherwise the site wouldn't have allowed me to order it. But then I recieved the batteries, but on the invoice was a hand written note that the power supply was out of stock and that they would send it as soon as they get them.

They did eventually get them and it shipped and then it arrived but the power supply doesn't work. No display and no output, only the power switch lit up.
I contacted VH support through Email, and was replied to in 24hrs. He says it's a factory defect and that he will send me a part that will have it working and that it will take two weeks for this part to get to him. So that seemed a prompt response, although somewhat strange that I'll obviously be require to install this part whatever it is. Now this power supply no longer appears at VH's site. So im assuming im not the only one with a bad unit and that he's pulled it off the site till this defect is resolved.
Ok well we'll see whats up with this in a couple weeks or so, but somehow I dont trust this unit, as I had a look inside and wow what a sloppy assembly and the main component inside doesnt even look like it belongs there. As though it's not designed to even fit in the case properly. A look at the pics will tell, look at the corners of the circuit board the way the bolts have it bent down, and this unit inside looks like it was ripped out of some other device or equipment and just bolted into this case any way they could.

This however isn't VH's doing or thier fault as VH didn't make it, only sell it. And it appears he is gong to make it right one way or the other and did the right ting by removing it from the listing.
SabreHawk is offline Find More Posts by SabreHawk
Old Aug 17, 2010, 09:28 PM
AMA # L576
United States, OR, North Bend
Joined Sep 2006
2,225 Posts
That bent pc board is suspect. I would think there is a possibility that one of the traces is broken in that area. I would call Value Hobby on the phone and discuss the possibility of you returning the defective power supply for a refund.

I use the $30 power supply from Progressive RC .
Good vendor to do business with.
vhoward1122 is offline Find More Posts by vhoward1122
Old Aug 18, 2010, 07:59 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
USA, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Dec 2006
4,040 Posts
I placed an order for a 3s 25C 1800mah lipo Sunday and it arrived today. I got no complaints other than my previous three 3s 1800mah lipos were blue and this one is yellow and a bit small. It's the same size and my old 3s 1500mah lipo was that I bought last year from them.

I'm curious if this isn't a 1500mah with a 1800mah sticker on it I don't have a gram scale so I can't tell the difference in weight, but I just about bet they don't weigh the same.

You be the judge
mtdoramike is offline Find More Posts by mtdoramike
Old Aug 18, 2010, 10:06 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,901 Posts
Do a discharge test.
1C to 3.3V/cell should be over 1700mah.

I wouldn't bet a dime that it was an 1800 mah pack.
How about the thickness?

A simple test - got a yardstick or any long piece of wood?
Place it on the sharp edge of a knife right in the middle of the yardstick. Put one battery on each end. If they are equal weight, it will balance. If one is heavier, move it towards the middle till the stick balances. From that you can calculate the weight of the battery if you know the weight of one of them.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Aug 18, 2010, 10:17 PM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
In the pic it looks like there's another sticker peeking out underneath the lefthand side of the label on the yellow bat. Are there two stickers on that thing or am I just seeing things?

kendall