HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by MikeTheCrash, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 07:22 PM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,419 Posts
Discussion
My FPV Twinstar

I was asked to show the layout in my Twinstar, so here it is. I should point out I'm no expert, this isn't necessarily the "right" way, it's my way!

The fuselage is held together with masking tape. This makes it easy to get inside if I need to. Masking tape is light and fairly strong and is seems not to leave any residue on the elapor. The camera is normally taped in too for safety. I also have a strip of gaffer tape under the belly for landing.

I need a ball link on the elevator I can detatch, so I don't put any strain on the linkage when the fuse is opened up.

The dragon link antenna has a trailing component under the fuse which should be put in a bendable tube to keep it straight.

I put the servos in holes I made in the fuse, they are screwed onto some chunks of wood I glued in so I can get them out if I want. The servos might have been better glued inside the fuse and I could have re-routed the snakes perhaps and kept it more streamlined

You can see the Inertial Momentum Unit in this picture. it's wedged into one of the snake runs, and I used bits of paper wedged underneath to get it as flat and tight as I could before taping it in.

ESCs are wedged into the elapor. Bigger than I needed but they were cheap!

Motors take up to 16a - that's all the specs I can remember.

The CoG is correct with the battery nearly all the way forward into the nose. This leaves space under the wing for another battery one day if I want to, but I don't know how it will fly with 8600mAh on board!

The battery used to have to be a couple of inches further back when the Dragon Link Rx was under the GPS. The moment at that distance from CoG makes a lot of difference!

The video transmitter, camera and microphone board are all on the canopy. The inside is hollowed out and the mic and lots of messy spare wire and bad soldering are inside. I put a switch in the video Tx so it doesn't overheat or waste power while I'm waiting for satellite lock, plus it's fiddly to get the wiring all wedged in and taped down and it takes some time!

I've just bought a Turnigy 9x and a headtracker so there will be a pan and tilt going onto the nose. Having the camera on the removeable canopy is a pain as every time I change the battery it places strain on the wires. The video transmitter will be moved to the side of the fuse.
MikeTheCrash is offline Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Last edited by MikeTheCrash; Aug 15, 2010 at 04:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:41 PM
Romania, IS, Iasi
Joined Nov 2008
620 Posts
Mike what kind of battery are you using? Are you using 2 batteries(1 for fpv sistem, 1 for powering motors)? How did you powered up the Arduimu ?
kempo is offline Find More Posts by kempo
Last edited by kempo; Aug 25, 2010 at 04:47 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 06:30 AM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kempo View Post
Mike what kind of battery are you using? Are you using 2 batteries(1 for fpv sistem, 1 for powering motors)? How did you powered up the Arduimu ?
I use a Loong Max 4300mAh. There may be space for two. I use one battery to power everything. The ArduIMU is connected like your diagram, but I only used one ground connection to data, I didn't connect another ground at the power supply part of the board.

Mike
MikeTheCrash is offline Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash