Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 13, 2010, 01:30 PM
I Toast Planes
Joined Jul 2010
945 Posts
Discussion
Blade 120 SR RTF by BLADE

A video of the Blade 120 SR RTF by BLADE. This looks like an awesome heli.

Blade 120 SR RTF by BLADE (1 min 0 sec)
bakon is offline Find More Posts by bakon
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2010, 01:37 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,338 Posts
They all look awesome in promotional videos.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Aug 13, 2010, 01:39 PM
I Toast Planes
Joined Jul 2010
945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
They all look awesome in promotional videos.
Very true
bakon is offline Find More Posts by bakon
Old Aug 13, 2010, 01:55 PM
Canada, ON
Joined Mar 2010
1,272 Posts
Here's a more "true to life" video

Blade 120SR Tail motor failed on the First day after 3 flights. (1 min 10 sec)
!
monkeyhanger is offline Find More Posts by monkeyhanger
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:20 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
I'm waiting for eflite to actually make a decent double brushless version of any of their tail motor helis... i mean come on, it's not that hard but their profits would probably shrink to nothing... if they ever made something quality
Druss is offline Find More Posts by Druss
Last edited by Druss; Sep 07, 2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 08:01 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druss View Post
I'm waiting for eflite to actually make a decent double brushless version of any of their tail motor helis... i mean come on, it's not that hard but their profits would probably shrink to the size of their dicks if they ever made something quality
Druss,
LMAO! I've been flying about 5 years now. I went down the E-flite street for about 1 1/2 years. I'm not looking back either. To many better choices out there, a few bucks more, sure. But in the long haul, you're money ahead.
(How's my spelling?)
Dave
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
Old Aug 14, 2010, 09:09 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Quote:
I'm waiting for eflite to actually make a decent double brushless version of any of their tail motor helis... i mean come on, it's not that hard but their profits would probably shrink to the size of their dicks if they ever made something quality
Wow... it's good to have someone with the exact same feeling as me. I flew the 120, just tail in hover, today at my local Hobby Town USA. I saw that little POS main brushed motor and then my eyes turned to the little POS brushed tail.
The 120 was very stable when out of the ground effect. I would have loved to push this little heli harder outside just to see how the tail followed.

If E-Flite did a brushless dual they might have something but their wieners would suffer

I have to say that the stock 120 I flew was very stable and easy to maintain in a hover. Minor corrections kept her in line above 2 feet. Below 2 feet she would wander in the wash.
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
Last edited by 1Radioflyer; Aug 14, 2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 10:07 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
There's no arguing that eflite and horizon have done a great job in terms of bringing new hobbyists into flying helicopters but they also get turned off by the high costs associated with owning an eflite. The helis are mediocre at best, the cost of parts are high and the tail motors especially are a pita. Sure you can upgrade it but then what's the cost at? Might as well buy a trex clone for the cost of an upgraded, double brushless blade SR.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 09:35 AM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,380 Posts
Clones are cheap because they have inferior quality parts and are made to a very low price point. There are tons of examples of clone parts failing before they even get off the ground. Eflite parts are no more expensive than anything else out there, and for the most part, are less expensive. Upgrading is part and parcel of the hobby industry, just check out Traxxas, Team Associated, and HPI car and trucks. Align, Heli-Max, Thunder Tigre, and Century all offer upgrades to their lines, so why shouldn't Eflite? Are they somehow exempt and must only be allowed to offer the entry level parts? If there are aftermarket parts manufacturers that come out with upgrades to Eflite products, but they are not what Eflite is planning, then wait for them to do so. IF there is a demand for it, they will make it but for the most part, only a tiny percentage upgrade their helicopters and most chose to keep them as they are. Please, all of you, give it a rest and enjoy your hobby. This is just petty bickering. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Aug 15, 2010, 02:49 PM
Luvin' Life
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Druss,
You could certainly get a clone 450 for the price but I wouldn't fly mine in the house. This would be a perfect little heli to cruise around the basement for fun. I would just prefer brushless so the motors last. I can't begin to tell you how many main and tail motors I replace on my CP and CP Pro.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 03:05 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Radioflyer View Post
Druss,
You could certainly get a clone 450 for the price but I wouldn't fly mine in the house. This would be a perfect little heli to cruise around the basement for fun. I would just prefer brushless so the motors last. I can't begin to tell you how many main and tail motors I replace on my CP and CP Pro.
Jay,
I agree on the brushed motors. They need brushless, I'd be happy to pay the extra money upfront, than buy motors all the time. Plus, brushed motors usually go bad in flight, then that's more money in parts. HMMMMM!
Anywho, remember everyone was putting heat sinks on the main and tail motors back then too. The best thing I found was dual motors for the tail.
See these older pics. 3 years ago.
Dave
Old Aug 15, 2010, 03:15 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
Clones are cheap because they have inferior quality parts and are made to a very low price point. There are tons of examples of clone parts failing before they even get off the ground. Eflite parts are no more expensive than anything else out there, and for the most part, are less expensive. Upgrading is part and parcel of the hobby industry, just check out Traxxas, Team Associated, and HPI car and trucks. Align, Heli-Max, Thunder Tigre, and Century all offer upgrades to their lines, so why shouldn't Eflite? Are they somehow exempt and must only be allowed to offer the entry level parts? If there are aftermarket parts manufacturers that come out with upgrades to Eflite products, but they are not what Eflite is planning, then wait for them to do so. IF there is a demand for it, they will make it but for the most part, only a tiny percentage upgrade their helicopters and most chose to keep them as they are. Please, all of you, give it a rest and enjoy your hobby. This is just petty bickering. Take care.

Don
Don,
I have to agree with you, it's the same with any product, not just in the RC world. TV's, which is better, plasma, led, lcd. Motorcycles, which is better, Honda or Harley's. It goes on forever, it's our nature.

Petty bickering, sure it is. However, one thing I try to keep in mind, that everyday, there's a noobie out there that doesn't have a clue on anything RC related. I've been crusing the forums for almost 5 years, and still see the same questions asked time after time. And I still try to help out the new guys.
I'm not a wizard on this by any means, but I like to help out people in general.
That's my nature. There's a ton of good information out here, and I look at it as part of the hobby, and as a learning experience.

Dave
Old Aug 15, 2010, 04:26 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,848 Posts
I got one of these sr 120 helis as a gift.
The SR turned me off from eflight and almost away from the heli hobby.
So i'm not an eflight type of guy....but then i got this heli as a gift and being the polite guy i am i said "Thankyou" and charged the battery.
First of this heli is made by Blade,eflight is not making this...it seems some chancges have gone on at the company..lol.
It seems to fly ok...it is a large msr...with a few changes.
The brushed motor runs cool 96* and on the long swash balls it feels pretty good...i also like my msr and don't have the problems i see some have.Useing a DX6i for a tx helped and it works well with the sr 120.
I have crashed it into a wood coffee table and it survived with no trouble...much to my surprise.
I think this might...might be an ok FP heli for a newb or someone who wants to fly in a relaxed fashion..lol
There were many mods done to the msr....just take a look at how far EQ Mod and Hydro Pyro took there msr's...I think with this heli being a bit larger there is more room and it will only be a matter of time before one of us here start doing mods to this heli and seeing what you can really do with it.
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Aug 15, 2010, 04:40 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post

Don
It completely different when you're talking about aluminum upgrades compared to having to change the motor to a completely different technology and having to do work arounds due to the integrated board.

There is no way you're going to convince me that eflite doesn't make their helis from parts just as "inferior" as the clones. The fact that many of the clones are also aluminum and carbon fiber compared to the all plastic eflite helis does not help your case.

BTW, there really was no petty bickering until you posted. I put in comments based on my own experience owning over 15 helis in my time, 4 of them eflites. The fact that all of my esky helis flew better than the equivalent eflite ones at a fraction of the original and parts cost is where I form my opinions.

If you don't agree with my comments then that's fine but don't try to lesson my experience and my post by calling it "petty bickering". You demean yourself in the process.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 06:44 PM
Luvin' Life
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Quote:
If you don't agree with my comments then that's fine but don't try to lesson my experience and my post by calling it "petty bickering". You demean yourself in the process.
+1 I call it like I see it. I've been doing this for a few years now.