HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2010, 09:39 PM
RC Helis: My Healthy Obsession
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
Discussion
Walkera 2612V Rx on another heli - Review

I have installed the 2612V Rx (4F200 and new V450) into my perfectly flying 60B with a JR DG3400 metal geared tail servo and here is what I have so far. On the first flight all I did was some lazy circles and figure 8's to shake it out and test tracking and flight characteristics. The tail seemed fine then so I went to the next flight test. During the second flight all I did was some faster FF and circuits with a couple if easy flips and loops. Again the tail seemed fine so I decided to try some more aggressive stuff today.

This time I gave it full pitch pumping and climbouts and the tail kicked out about 45* . Not good. I turned up the gain until there was a wag and backed off a click (83%) and still the tail did not hold. It is sort of the same reaction you get on the 4F200 but since that heli is so small the kick is only 5* or less. Unfortunately, with a heli the size and mass of a 450 class heli, I am afraid the tail gyro is just plain not fast enough. I expect on a heli like the T250, the kick will be about 10* or so. Still not acceptable for 3D but good enough for circuits and such.

I sure hope Walkera has flashed the 450 Rx with a new firmware to speed up the tail. If not (strictly IMO) it is just not going to perform very well for us. Bummer.

Again, we will just have to wait and see...
dkfuji is offline Find More Posts by dkfuji
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:59 PM
Addicted - seeking help!
Huntington Beach, CA USA
Joined Feb 2009
139 Posts
Darryl - you're one step ahead (ok - maybe 9 or 10 steps ahead) of me on everything I'm thinking about trying. Thanks for saving us all the time and dough!
jgupton is offline Find More Posts by jgupton
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:59 PM
Addicted - seeking help!
Huntington Beach, CA USA
Joined Feb 2009
139 Posts
make that triple - jeez!
Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:00 PM
Addicted - seeking help!
Huntington Beach, CA USA
Joined Feb 2009
139 Posts
Sorry - double posted (first time on a 'puter)
Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:05 PM
RC Helis: My Healthy Obsession
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
Latest info about the V450 is it has a new Rx that has a much better tail gyro. It appears that one of the reasons the production of the V450 has been delayed is they are in fact making sure that this heli performs like it should. We shall see...
dkfuji is offline Find More Posts by dkfuji
Last edited by dkfuji; Aug 12, 2010 at 11:21 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 01:46 AM
Addicted - seeking help!
Huntington Beach, CA USA
Joined Feb 2009
139 Posts
When I used to work in software development, I would always seek out real, live, actual people who knew how the software should work to participate prior to, and during, development as well as in testing/refining the products prior to release. How is it that Walkera hasn't figured out this simple, COST SAVING process?!?!?!? They could hire a couple of the super users from this forum (heck many would probably do it for a free heli) to really create a spectacular product.

It can't be nearly as profitable just taking random shots and hoping some percentage will be successful as it would be doing a good job on a smaller collection of products. I can understand wanting to stay ahead of the competition, but it's not always the first to market that wins...
Old Aug 13, 2010, 08:29 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgupton View Post
When I used to work in software development, I would always seek out real, live, actual people who knew how the software should work to participate prior to, and during, development as well as in testing/refining the products prior to release. How is it that Walkera hasn't figured out this simple, COST SAVING process?!?!?!? They could hire a couple of the super users from this forum (heck many would probably do it for a free heli) to really create a spectacular product.

It can't be nearly as profitable just taking random shots and hoping some percentage will be successful as it would be doing a good job on a smaller collection of products. I can understand wanting to stay ahead of the competition, but it's not always the first to market that wins...
Walkera would never do that cus they seem to know very LITTLE about business but ALOT about micro helis. A smart business man(no affense but American)could blow that company up bigger than Horizon Hobby, great Planes etc...
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 13, 2010, 12:55 PM
Addicted - seeking help!
Huntington Beach, CA USA
Joined Feb 2009
139 Posts
Well, I think I've read that they monitor these forums. If this is true I must say I'm disappointed that they haven't done more to adjust their operating practices. Perhaps I don't understand how business is done in China, but I would think that having a good reputation rather than a bad would be a universally appealing business objective.

Thanks again Darryl for saving the rest of us the aggravation and expense of being Walkera's testing team.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 06:00 AM
In Finnland
Joined Jul 2010
10 Posts
I shall upgrade my Belt CP V2 with that new Rx, must be interesting to notice how Belt can change flying.
Ripa is offline Find More Posts by Ripa
Old Aug 15, 2010, 09:08 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgupton View Post

Its a very different business culture there. I do medical research for a very large German company that produces medical devices. You want to see two worlds collide, then try and combine the Germans who sort every little detail out and build some of the most precision made, technically advanced things on the planet (why I drive German cars) with the Chinese who want to just throw it together and get it out the door and start selling it.

My company wanted to sell in Asia and they required that we build a factory there in order to give their people jobs. I visited the factory along with a local medical University Hospital doing research with us, and we would have to explain to them why it wasn't cool to cut corners and that "good enough" didn't cut it on a medical device. I was stunned to see them performing radiation inducing exams one after the other on one patient while the prior patient was still standing in the room trying to get dressed! I guess patient confidentiality or radiation exposure is of no concern to them either.

This is how we end up with toxic toys, poison baby food and cars that roll end over end on the highway and kill people because the Chinese valve stems used in the tires disintegrate, not counting the fact that they will steal intellectual property in a second and copy anything. We support this though as we love cheap stuff here. They seem to have a very short sighted business model that they do not deviate from, and that is to mass produce items cheaply and quickly and throw them out the door to the masses as quick as possible. The long term view doesn't seem to factor into the business model much there, at least in my experience.
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Last edited by Xrayted; Aug 15, 2010 at 03:35 PM.