SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 03, 2001, 02:18 PM
Triad of Fun
Little Rock, AR Triad: Windy, ECO 8 and E3D
Joined Nov 2000
369 Posts
Want to scratch build a fun fly plane. Cay you recommend plans?

I'm on the waiting list for the infamous E3D but want to build a smaller funfly/sport plane using a speed 400 geared motor. I was considering scaling up my Tiny plans but would like to build one with a fuselage.

I have no design experience so I would need to buy, beg or borrow a set of plans. Can you recommend a plane or plans that would fit my needs?

Thanks in advance,
Bill
WilliamSettle is offline Find More Posts by WilliamSettle
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2001, 04:06 PM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,499 Posts
Contact Gus Morfis at

cmmorfis@aol.com

He has a lot of interesting plans.

Also, do a search here on Mark Rittenger, another source of excellant plans.

Beware, though. These guys assume you know how to build.
Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
Old Oct 03, 2001, 07:22 PM
Motors beat engines!
Milwaukee Wisconsin, United States
Joined Feb 2001
4,564 Posts
Another good one is the model air tech Tumblewatt. http://www.modelairtech.com/

You can get plans alone, but the complete kit is only like $25 so you might as well get the kit.

Its a 27" span, but I expanded my 2nd through current, ( I take risks and crash alot ) models to a 31 span. You do give up a little roll rate, but the glide is better making landings easier.

The kit really comes alive running a rocket 400, 3:1 with a 9x7 slowfly prop, on 8x600ae's. Climb is outstanding, and the plane does outside loops almost better than inside ones. Inverted is almost indistinguishable from normal. It also handles wind extremely well.

I still fly mine all the time, and still like it a lot.
DeaninMilwaukee is offline Find More Posts by DeaninMilwaukee
Old Oct 03, 2001, 11:03 PM
Triad of Fun
Little Rock, AR Triad: Windy, ECO 8 and E3D
Joined Nov 2000
369 Posts
Larry, thanks for the names. I shot Gus an e-mail and am waiting a reply. I did a search on Mark Rittenger and found a few hits but nothing about how to contact him. I'll look again.

As far as building skills, that's not a problem. I might be somewhat unorthodox at times but can always get it done.

Dean, the Tumblewatt is a nice looking plane. I'd have to add a rudder though to make it a full house but not a big problem. I must say that the price is right. Even includes the covering. Thanks.
WilliamSettle is offline Find More Posts by WilliamSettle
Old Oct 04, 2001, 11:29 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
Try doing a search for Sportwin, one of his designs I built, and you can email him from one of his posts.

You can order plans for the Sportwin from S&E Modeller and his ME262 from Model Airplane News.

Build a Sportwin. Wow!

Kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople