SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:40 AM
Laugh NOT at King Tupitos
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,760 Posts
Discussion
Two Hours Outside and I only Saw One Perseid Meteor

I stood around two hours last night and this morning, only saw one Perseid meteor. It was dim but streaked all the way across the sky in about 1/2 second. I wonder where the 60 per hour were ?
Seems every year it fogs up during the Perseid shower but was pretty clear this time.
Chophop is offline Find More Posts by Chophop
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:47 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chophop View Post
I stood around two hours last night and this morning, only saw one Perseid meteor. It was dim but streaked all the way across the sky in about 1/2 second. I wonder where the 60 per hour were ?
Seems every year it fogs up during the Perseid shower but was pretty clear this time.
Tonight's the night
ENGINETORQUE is offline Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:52 AM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
What Enginetorque said.

(Oh no, did I really just say that!? )
Real Ira is offline Find More Posts by Real Ira
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:53 AM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
The peak is very broad. I started seeing Perseids about 2 weeks ago and they have been picking up every night since. Last night and tonite should be the best. Last night I was up to around 40 in the 11:30-1AM period and it was still picking up when I packed it in.

One thing to be aware of...the bulk of Perseids are fainter ones, so if you're in a heavily light polluted area it will drastically slash the rate.
MtnGoat is online now Find More Posts by MtnGoat
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:58 AM
Joined Sep 2006
8,760 Posts
I caught one a few years back in Kentucky, 120 miles from any metropolis, 6 miles into the forest, it lit the whole area up bright green, almost like daylight for a flash. BTW, don't let them know you are looking for meteors or they will gang up with flare guns and start yelling , "Hey thar goes uh bunch uh them meteors."
Old Aug 12, 2010, 04:54 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,418 Posts
HWGA = Here We Go Again

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Aug 12, 2010, 05:35 PM
Let slip the dogs of war!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
You didn't see any because those folks that shoot to disturb your RC flying were out shooting down the meteors before you could see them. Pretty simple really.
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Aug 12, 2010, 05:43 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,283 Posts
You owe me a keyboard.
madsci_guy is online now Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Aug 12, 2010, 05:50 PM
Joined Sep 2006
8,760 Posts
No, they caught them and put them in their pocket to save them for a rainy day. Or when I was doing a 15 minute ISO 400 exposure.

Catch A Falling Star (2 min 28 sec)
Old Aug 12, 2010, 06:01 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,773 Posts
Go out at night, rub your eyes real hard, then blink.......oh wait, that fireworks not meteors.
Usta Bee is online now Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Aug 12, 2010, 06:58 PM
Joined Sep 2006
8,760 Posts
Just put some LED's on a Funjet or Stryker and no waiting.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 07:15 PM
United States, ME, Ellsworth
Joined Dec 2006
10 Posts
Chop, you have to point your telescope at the sky, not the house down the street. Best you will see there will be a moon and a few streaks.
TheHud is offline Find More Posts by TheHud
Old Aug 12, 2010, 07:28 PM
Joined Sep 2006
8,760 Posts
That guy's hairy chest is nowhere near what I'd be looking for. Actually I'd probably be just as well off with an IDAS LPRF filter here 10 minutes from Dayton as 150 miles away in the forest where I had to use it anyway. It was so sensitive all it took was a few mercury and sodium vapor lights 1500 feet away and the usual touch of evening air water vapor to cloud the photos. I had to use it anyway. The IDAS kills about all the street light pollution and the fog here is rare compared to the forest.

This could be a scary time for high flying aircraft, could get a hull penetration.