Discussion
Turnigy 9x 2.4 radioclone mod

Hey, hi. I just want to share mods I made to this cheap radio

- ISP programming socket
- SD card reader
- LCD backlight
- radioclone firmware

Many thanks to Rafal, creator of Radioclone.org

I messed with mixing a little, trying to replicate controls of blended-wing-body by Scott Lott (RCpowers) http://www.rcpowers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3691.

I managed to skip external V-mixers, and do the trick in the radio. Here's the demo.

tgy9x.avi (0 min 32 sec)

I will add some photos later.
Richard_s is offline Find More Posts by Richard_s
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2010, 07:38 PM
RadioClone Author
Wroclaw, Poland
Joined Apr 2010
102 Posts
Thanks for idea!

Here is my version
RadioClone Split Elevons (DUCKERONS) (0 min 31 sec)

Notice that there is no contraction when You use brakes on one side.
In addition I implemented air brakes which could be set via pot.

In attached zip file is my sample configuration compatible with 0.023 (file version 3)
Rafit is offline Find More Posts by Rafit
Old Sep 05, 2010, 02:11 AM
it WILL fly! someday....
Slovakia
Joined Aug 2008
448 Posts
My idea is to use partialy open "quackerons" all the time, to provide yaw stability. So for turning I close one side and open opposite side some more. I do not know if it's better/necessary, no time to build such airplane.

Rafal, I guess config files are not compatible between v 0.021 and 23 huh? . I'll flash and v23 soon. I had really no time to take pics of my backlight mod (moving to new flat), but I will ASAP do. It's nothing compared to your effort.

IMO, possibility to FULLY configure LCD is ingenious! I use it to display flaps position (neutral, up, down in % ) and motor lock.
Old Sep 05, 2010, 03:36 AM
RadioClone Author
Wroclaw, Poland
Joined Apr 2010
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_s View Post
Rafal, I guess config files are not compatible between v 0.021 and 23 huh? . I'll flash and v23 soon. I had really no time to take pics of my backlight mod (moving to new flat), but I will ASAP do. It's nothing compared to your effort.
No, there are not compatible. Conversion could be possible, but it require remapping variables in file, adding few fields, and calculating CRC. For me it to early for converter. Software is not even in alpha stage (it's not completed. Still clock, alarms and internal variables are missing).
Good news is that the changes in file schema should last more (at least I don't see any need to change it at this moment).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_s View Post
IMO, possibility to FULLY configure LCD is ingenious! I use it to display flaps position (neutral, up, down in % ) and motor lock.
Probably it can be even better. Someone ask about big timer display. I can probably add big timer as 2 "modules" - upper and lower half. I need to investigate this (if only I find some free flash ...).
Old Sep 05, 2010, 04:20 AM
it WILL fly! someday....
Slovakia
Joined Aug 2008
448 Posts
I have no idea how much memory is needed, but I'd rather have configurable small timers (not unlike th9x has) with buzzer alarm, than one BIG display

Anyway, here are some pics of my backlght & other mods:

edit: note that I had to take out the buzzer and move it to the opposite side of board, so SD card reader fits perfectly.
Last edited by Richard_s; Sep 06, 2010 at 01:31 AM.
Old Sep 05, 2010, 04:59 AM
RadioClone Author
Wroclaw, Poland
Joined Apr 2010
102 Posts
I relay like Your display mod. It's look great!

Timers (clocks) are next on my list. Did You have any expectation about configuration?

I plan to add one config line per clock/timer. It could determine clock type and behaviour. Any ideas what should be implemented?
Old Sep 05, 2010, 05:17 AM
it WILL fly! someday....
Slovakia
Joined Aug 2008
448 Posts
Thanks, and it works great. Especially in evenings when I'm setting up configuration. Not using it while flying much, if it is too dark to read display, it is too dark to fly .

About clocks. There could be possibility to assign START-PAUSE-STOP-RESET to switch (trainer switch seems ideal. Coded like 1 flip = start/pause, long flip = stop, double flip = reset). Another option would be to start / stop timer with throttle channel (or any variable) with option to set percentage where to start/stop the clock. Neat but questionable possibility is to run clock faster/slower with respect to throttle setting (the faster you go, the faster you drain battery), but I doubt the accuracy of such timing
Last edited by Richard_s; Sep 06, 2010 at 07:25 AM. Reason: typo
Old Sep 05, 2010, 05:55 AM
RadioClone Author
Wroclaw, Poland
Joined Apr 2010
102 Posts
I don't understand difference between pause and stop. If I pause timer it stops, what benefit I get from stopping it?

What You thing about counting down from time set at start with an alarm on 0:00?
Old Sep 05, 2010, 06:13 AM
it WILL fly! someday....
Slovakia
Joined Aug 2008
448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafit View Post
I don't understand difference between pause and stop. If I pause timer it stops, what benefit I get from stopping it?
You're right . start-stop/resume-reset then?

Cuountdown to zero is useful for fliers with good, proven predictable system, which will keep power for more or less, the exact time. I fly experimental planes, switching motors and propellers over, so I'd personally use upcount from zero. It's matter of preference. If not too much trouble, it could be selectable : count up with alarm at set time, or countdown from set time with alarm at 0.
Last edited by Richard_s; Sep 06, 2010 at 01:36 AM.